What are you allergic too?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I should have gone to the emergency room earlier, but opted to use it as a last resort because I live literally one block away from a hospital..

I'm generally a healthy eating person. I eat everything that is good for you except seafood and vegetables. So today I decided to pick up some fish from the grocery store. I hadn't eaten it since I was a little kid because I had an allergic reaction to it. I figured I'd probably be fine this time around.. WRONG.

After a few bites I felt a tingling on the back of my throat and tongue. My ears and neck began to swell as I turned bright red with hives. I had trouble breathing it was so bad and probably should have gone to the ER, but stayed still and waited for my mom to come over to my place with some benedryl.

I'm not allergic to anything else, but fish! I can eat shrimp with no problem, but there is something about fish. The whole reaction lasted a little over an hour and now I'm back to hating seafood again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yikes, how scary! glad you're okay now

i'm allergic to xmas trees. well rather the fire retardant they spray on them. i spent a few years as a kid miserably sick for xmas until it was finally figured out that the xmas tree was the culprit.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! lol
  • I'm allergic to booze, weed, dye, latex, raspberries, and your garden variety allergies. Kinda rules out a potential fun night huh?

It is funny that when I eat raspberries I almost literally turn into one; covered in red bumps.
  • I'm allergic to bananas.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • I'm allergic to ceclor and tetricycline. Every time I have to take an antibiotic, I get nervous because I'm afraid I'll have yet another allergic reaction. My mouth/throat swells up and I get giant hives from taking either of those.
  • cats and sulfa drugs.
    Nice shirt.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    bees! :(
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i think i've developed an allergy to cats :( makes me sad 'cause i really want a kitten...boo!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    animals.
    i don't like them near me, so it works out.
  • Hay, grass, pollen, the usual.
    Vancouver 09/02/05, so far so good
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Hay, grass, pollen, the usual.
    Yeah, but is it life threatening?
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    cutback wrote:
    bees! :(

I've never been stung by a bee, but when they are near me I get scared because I think "what if I am allergic??" :eek:

I am not allergic to any food, but any kind of pollen does it for me, and dust. I used to have to get allergy shots when I was a child. And freshly cut grass gives me the WORST head and throat ache, as well as make my eyes itch! :mad:
  • Chemical soaps and sudsing agents (sodium laureth sulfates and friends), & chlorine.

Strong sensitivities to perfumes/colognes and onions.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Can't eat the following due to allergies:

Tree nuts (pecans, almonds, etc.)
    Peppers
    Mushrooms

Airborne allergies:
    pollen from most hardwood trees
    mold (really severe)
    mildew (a real killer)
    dust mites
    most man-made scents/scented products
    grass (the kind you plant on the lawn)
    grass (the shit that you smoke...yes, it kills me to smell it)

That's all I can remember at the moment.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Nothing, although scallops and mushrooms can give me hives every now and then.
    NERDS!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    You name it........dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, pets, penicillin
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    Nothing, although scallops and mushrooms can give me hives every now and then.

you're just a picky eater. :P
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I know this good looking girl that is allergic to latex which is funny but quite serious. It is one of those allergic reactions that she needs to carry around an epi pen. She even told me how she found out yrs ago :) I always thought she was the town bike but maybe not, she got a fruity flavoured condom and she was chewing on it. Then she had to get rushed to hospital.

When she said to me, do u know im alergic to latex? I said how did u find out?;) it is a funny story but not as exciting as i thought it would be because she is a hottie.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    This thread makes me sad. I'm not allergic to anything. I do know people who are to some things, but not to this extent. Wow! I just had no idea. :( You guys have lots to deal with!
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Pollen, but I'll never truly admit it
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Nothing at all. I'm perfect. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Nothing at all. I'm perfect. :)

:corn:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Eggs
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Cats.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Tomatoes.. But only raw Tomatoes.. If they are stewed or cooked I am ok..
  • rpech'erpech'e Twin Cities Posts: 1,106
    NKA
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    NOTHING!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Eggs

I should not post this late. I'm sorry I can't sleep yet.

The grass, Bees, beef, pork, pollen, dust mites, fleas, most plants, dairy, detergents, cleaning products, dust, cats, dogs, birds, eggs, steroids, etc. My next bee sting will be life threatening, and that is my only fear besides grass.

Most people think I'm nuts until they witness the reactions.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    My mom got sick after eating raw broccoli 40 years ago, and she's claimed she's allergic to raw broccoli ever since (not cooked broccoli... Can raw vs cooked really make a difference to real allergies??). Bit I forgot recently, and served d her a big pile of broccoli coleslaw (she didn't realize), and she was totally fine. I wonder how many allergies are imaginary?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    stupidity.

jackassery.

douchebaggery.

Ya know, the usual. :thumbup:

Forgot: tourists.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    My mom got sick after eating raw broccoli 40 years ago, and she's claimed she's allergic to raw broccoli ever since (not cooked broccoli... Can raw vs cooked really make a difference to real allergies??). Bit I forgot recently, and served d her a big pile of broccoli coleslaw (she didn't realize), and she was totally fine. I wonder how many allergies are imaginary?

There is a huge difference in raw vs cooked. In many cases the stuff that causes the allergy vanishes when you heat the food up. I used to be extremely allergic to apples, only raw ones, I could eat them in a pie and such. But now that allergy is no more and I'm so happy it's gone and I eat lots and lots of apples. Raw. Mmmmmmmm
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014