Cool Hand Luke

patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Best I've seen, heis one cool guy. I know someone who met him and worked with him, and they said he is the most charismatic man in the whole wide world.....that movie is just awesome.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • P, I LOVE Newman!!! Just had his sauce last night. :p edit: oh gawd, cant wait for the twist-of-response on this.

awesome movie. I was actually thinking about posting this not too long ago.

I have to check out some more of his flicks. I just found out that my dad was his fan too!!!

His wife is pretty damn cool too.

Patrick, I knew I liked you. ;)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • jamie uk wrote:
    Best I've seen, heis one cool guy. I know someone who met him and worked with him, and they said he is the most charismatic man in the whole wide world.....that movie is just awesome.
    That is awesome. I couldve met him last spring, but I had a trip to Nepal and India to undertake.

Thanks for sharing that Juk. I was just talking about him yesterday....we dont have actors like that anymore. My bro's gf laughed when I said that to her....but then again, she took my bro (both pretty young) to a Paul Anka concert filled with seniors....He was on letterman the same night as Pjam. I might ask Mike if he can help me meet him. :p

It takes me to log in for ((Paul Newman)). :D True gentleman.

Hope that everyone is having a great night /weekend. :)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182

"What we've got here is failure to communicate
    Some men you just can't reach...
    So you get what we had here last week
    Which is the way he wants it!
    Well, he gets it!
    And I don't like it anymore than you men"*

In his best southern drawl Strother Martin says it here vocally at the beginning of GnR's song "Civil War" some classic lines.

This IS one of my top 5 movies of ALL time just pure power all the way through. You start to feel for the character Luke as Newman fools everyone time after time.

Many religious overtones in this movie like the scene after the eggs scene where Luke is shone from overhead as it appears he's lying down like Jesus on the cross.

An Academy Winner in George Kennedy for this movie with his very powerful performance also. Great movie, thanks for the reminder they don't quite make them like this one anymore.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    OH! MY! GOD!!!!! :D Patrick!! I just bought this on dvd a few weeks ago. It's one of my favorite movies of all time and the reason I fell in love with a bloke older than me grandad! :D

"What we have here is a failure to communicate" :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    OH! MY! GOD!!!!! :D Patrick!! I just bought this on dvd a few weeks ago. It's one of my favorite movies of all time and the reason I fell in love with a bloke older than me grandad! :D

"What we have here is a failure to communicate" :D
    I just keep on liking you more and more.

hes a dreamboat!!! it has nothing to do with the eyes dammit!! its the SOUL. :p;)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • g under p wrote:
    In his best southern drawl Strother Martin says it here vocally at the beginning of GnR's song "Civil War" some classic lines.

This IS one of my top 5 movies of ALL time just pure power all the way through. You start to feel for the character Luke as Newman fools everyone time after time.

Many religious overtones in this movie like the scene after the eggs scene where Luke is shone from overhead as it appears he's lying down like Jesus on the cross.

An Academy Winner in George Kennedy for this movie with his very powerful performance also. Great movie, thanks for the reminder they don't quite make them like this one anymore.

Peace
    good stuff thanks!!!

to think, I almost made a PN fanclub thread a few weeks back.

please recommend any more movies. even with his girl Joanne-what a dish!!
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    really old movie.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    good stuff thanks!!!

Man I haven't heard that term in ages, I think one of my 90 year old patients used that term some time ago.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

hes a dreamboat!!! it has nothing to do with the eyes dammit!! its the SOUL. : p ; )

:D thanks ra-ra! you're not so bad yourself! ;)

I did see you mention you liked him in a post a while back and I was thinking, "Girl's got taste!" :)

He really is devine. Inside and out. :) I loved him in Cat on A Hot Tin Roof.
    Can't decide between that and Cool Hand Luke as my favorite of his perfomances. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    good stuff thanks!!!

Woodward and Newman is quite an incredible accomplishment in itself. They compliment themselves perfectly< I guess. How does a Hollywood marriage last?

I read somewhere awhile back where Newman said his best movie was 'Slapshot.'

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.

Good flick, not great. Newman may have been at his best with Redford in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and then The Sting.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    gue_barium wrote:
    Good flick, not great. Newman may have been at his best with Redford in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and then The Sting.

Not to mention the earlier films like HUD and The Cincinatti Kid.

Both excellent movies.

• brain of c wrote:
    really old movie.

A classic old movie Luke sure is. That's the problem with today's youth. They have no idea how many classic really old movies were made. This is one of them for sure. :D
    gue_barium wrote:
    I read somewhere awhile back where Newman said his best movie was 'Slapshot.

Every Hockey fan should watch Slapshot. You'll end up laughing so hard during this movie. Another great Newman movie. :)

hes a dreamboat!!! it has nothing to do with the eyes dammit!! its the SOUL.

Glad you like Newman also Ruby. Your so funny and cute with your comments. :D

Jeanie wrote:
    OH! MY! GOD!!!!! Patrick!! I just bought this on dvd a few weeks ago. It's one of my favorite movies of all time and the reason I fell in love with a bloke older than me grandad!

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Awesome your loving this movie. :D
    Awesome your loving this movie. :D

One of my favorites ever since I was a little girl. :) I've never forgotten the hard boiled egg scene. I'm glad you reminded me because I should sit down and watch it again. :) Actually I think I've collected a few Paul Newman films of late, I'll have to sit myself down and have a Paul Newman fest! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    One of my favorites ever since I was a little girl. :) I've never forgotten the hard boiled egg scene. I'm glad you reminded me because I should sit down and watch it again. :) Actually I think I've collected a few Paul Newman films of late, I'll have to sit myself down and have a Paul Newman fest! :D

hehehe enjoy my dear. :)

The egg scene is sure something to watch.
    hehehe enjoy my dear. :)

The egg scene is sure something to watch.

Oh I will. :) I'm pretty sure I've Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid around here somewhere and now that I've remembered Cat on A Hot Tin Roof I've got a hankering to hear Big Daddy say "the mendacity" :D

Yup. Reckon that'll be my line up:

Cool Hand Luke
    Cat on A Hot Tin Roof
    Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

I'll save the popcorn till after the egg scene. :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Oh I will. :) I'm pretty sure I've Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid around here somewhere and now that I've remembered Cat on A Hot Tin Roof I've got a hankering to hear Big Daddy say "the mendacity" :D

Yup. Reckon that'll be my line up:

Cool Hand Luke
    Cat on A Hot Tin Roof
    Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

I'll save the popcorn till after the egg scene. :D

I'm so glad their are so many Paul Newman fans on here. :D
    Ahem.
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (RIP Tennessee Williams)
    Marlon Brando.

Not Paul Newman.

• prismprism Posts: 2,440
    gue_barium wrote:
    Ahem.
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (RIP Tennessee Williams)
    Marlon Brando.

Not Paul Newman.

dude, Jeanie's right. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof IS Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor and Burl Ives plays Big Daddy
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    prism wrote:
    dude, Jeanie's right. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof IS Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor and Burl Ives plays Big Daddy

Stella!!!

??

oh fuck, just realized...

A Streetcar Named Desire

• prismprism Posts: 2,440
    gue_barium wrote:
    Stella!!!

??

oh fuck, just realized...

A Streetcar Named Desire

yes, only Brando could've ever played Stanley
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    prism wrote:

Elizabeth Taylor, in the day, may be the second hottest woman to have ever walked the face of the planet earth.

Well it's all Tennessee. And therefore brilliant! :)

What I'd really love to see, and I've never come across it in the dvd bins is Katharine Hepburn in Tennessee's Suddenly Last Summer.

The Terrible Encantadas! :D haha! That be Herman Melville, author of Moby Dick and the Terrible Encantadas. :D

On a side note, Moby, is the Grandson of Herman Melville, the guy that wrote Moby Dick. :)
    Something I discovered during second year at uni when I was dramaturg. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    in road to perdition when tom hanks killed paul newman i just about cried out. it just seemed so so wrong.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    prism wrote:
    Truly.
    And what the hell are all of you people on the West coast doing up????
    At least I have an excuse: I went to bed really early...:o

The Sting is my favorite Newman movie.
    I live in CT where they live...he and Joanne.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    slapshot!
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    never watched it all the way through.

i think it was on AMC last night.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • brainofPJ wrote:
    never watched it all the way through.

i think it was on AMC last night.

Yup it was. That's where this thread idea came from. :)