Options

Thinking about a change... (thoughts?)

GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Okay so maybe its not a change, but it is sorta...

All my life I was raised agnostic. My friends were Jewish, Catholic, Christian etc. and whenever it came up, I was like, eehh, I'm nothing? I think my parents had great intentions when they didn't force a religion on us. However, my only complaint is that while they left us the choice to become what we wanted, I have no education on those choices.

So, after years of looking into things on my own, I am leaning towards Catholicism. My Husband is Catholic. And I just got into a huge Catholic University for Graduate School. This isn't why I identify with Catholicism, but more of a support for my interest. I've begun to think that maybe this is my opportunity to explore the religion and be active in the community.

Have any of you been in a situation like this? With any religion?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Well I've gone on a journey from once being a conservative Evangelical Christian to a... hmm, I'm not sure what... a post-Evangelical, if you like. I don't even bother with labels anymore. I've just deepened in my understanding of my faith, and have reformed much of what I was brought upon which I felt was inadequate for living a full and informed life.

It's freeing and cathartic when you find what you're looking for. Go for it, if you identify with catholicism.. real faith is real faith, whatever it looks like. If it's genuine for you, then it's probably right for you.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I was raised catholic but am agnostic... so the other way around. Of all religions, I think catholicism is the one I 'like' the least. I find it extremely 'controlling' and very two-faced. The teachings of Jesus are fine - it's what man did to them that I have lots of problems with.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    The teachings of Jesus are fine - it's what man did to them that I have lots of problems with.

On this we agree, but then I know Catholics who would also agree. I don't think you need to be OK with the hierarchy and the power bollocks to identify with a wing of the church. I'm not blind to the flawed hierarchical system of the Anglican church, but I go to an Anglican church because... well, because I like the people there. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    my only complaint is that while they left us the choice to become what we wanted, I have no education on those choices.
    Did you never learn about religion in school? We had to over here.

Do you feel as if there is something missing in your life? Why are you leaning towards religion now? Has something significant happened to make you seek out something more? Are you choosing Catholocism because of your husband? Or does it make sense to you? And do you believe in God?

Sorry for all the questions. You don't have to answer all or any of them, i'm just curious.

And if you don't know much about any religions...look into it. If any of them speak to you, or make sense to you, then maybe think about following that one.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    True mark, but then why bother with a religion. In the end, if you believe in those things, God is God - whatever religion, however you call Him. Why be part of something that has been build around some guy's teachings, only to control people in whatever way. Why not just express you faith by following the teachings - doesn't mean you need to follow the rules of the church.

But then again, if people are nice at a church... My hubby is an architect and did some work on a couple of churches - the happy-clappy ones. Those are fun.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I was raised Catholic...am currently non-practicing. But, when I have kids I plan to attend mass regularly and raise them in the church.

P.S. Jeff was an altar boy years ago!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    and raise them in the church.

What's wrong with your house? ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    What's wrong with your house? ;)

Well, with the cost of homes in So Cal, I'll never be able to afford one.

• Options
    I was raised Catholic...am currently non-practicing. But, when I have kids I plan to attend mass regularly and raise them in the church.
    !
    I didn't do that with my daughter. I talked to her about spiritualism and the different religions from a very young age. She will eventually choose what to do or not when she feels the need. Seems like graysaturday has reached that point in her life.

I sang in the church choir!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    True mark, but then why bother with a religion. In the end, if you believe in those things, God is God - whatever religion, however you call Him. Why be part of something that has been build around some guy's teachings, only to control people in whatever way. Why not just express you faith by following the teachings - doesn't mean you need to follow the rules of the church.

But then again, if people are nice at a church... My hubby is an architect and did some work on a couple of churches - the happy-clappy ones. Those are fun.

Hmm... and sometimes not so fun. :rolleyes: You could describe my upbringing as happy clappy. I find that many of these churches seem to have a subconscious belief that Christianity began in 1970s America. I've walked away from that because I wanted more history and heritage to my faith. I want to be reminded that my faith is ancient, sometimes obscure, artistic, creative, and, like you said so well, mysterious... and the Anglo-Catholic wing offers that. The 'happy clappies' sometimes (not always) think that ancient = somehow dangerous or occultic. Some of Christianity's most amazing rituals are tinged with Paganism - the labyrinth, for example - and I am free to say that with confidence these days.

I don't see 'religion' as being anything to do with what I'm doing. I don't follow 'rules', just teachings. I do it because it resonates with me. 'Religion' can go and... :D

• Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I was raised Presbyterian, changed to Methodist for a few years when my kids were first born, and now like Pantheism http://www.pantheism.net/

My mom was raised and schooled Catholic, changed to Presbyterian when she married my Dad, and now since Dad passed away three years ago suddenly....she no longer goes to church. I think she has lost her faith.

If the church feel right....it is good for you!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552

Just a question, but why would you force something on your kids that you do not feel is important to you? Is church a way of teaching good morals to kids until they turn 18 and then don't need church anymore? If it is important enough to you that you children go, why isn't it important that you go now (or practice, rather)?
  • Options
    "I was Catholic until I reached the age of reason" George Carlin
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    "I was Catholic until I reached the age of reason" George Carlin

HAHAHA...that's actually one of the funniest quotes I've heard from him. I love Carlin. I also dig his comparison of baseball and football.

• Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    audiodave wrote:
    Did you never learn about religion in school? We had to over here.

Do you feel as if there is something missing in your life? Why are you leaning towards religion now? Has something significant happened to make you seek out something more? Are you choosing Catholocism because of your husband? Or does it make sense to you? And do you believe in God?

Sorry for all the questions. You don't have to answer all or any of them, i'm just curious.

And if you don't know much about any religions...look into it. If any of them speak to you, or make sense to you, then maybe think about following that one.

No, in public school in America they don't talk about Religion. I think that I have always questioned religion and been interested in it. My parents, while allowing us to find out own path, always supported no religion as the way to go. I can't say one thing has made me want to seek out religion, but more or less, that I am a very grateful person, and thankful. I do believe things dont just happen. When my brother was very sick though, I did think more about it. My husband hasn't been to church since before we met, so its not his influence. He is only helpful to answer questions. It does make sense to me, but I don't agree with any religion 100%. I do think the Catholic religion can be a little out dated, and strict. Again, I am just getting more into it, so I am not sure that its the way to go. I do believe in God.

and I think thats all of them! ;)
  • Options
    In all seriousness, I was raised catholic, went to catholic school up through the 4th grade, and then lost interest. Something didn't bode well with me about it even at a young age (insert molestation joke here). I revisited the religion about a year ago as I had been baptized and received my communion, but never received confirmation. I went back at the request of my GF so that we could get married in a specific church that claimed we couldn't be married there if we both weren't confirmed. Long story short, I never had to go as the person stating that about the church was wrong, and after listening to the teachings to be confirmed I realized just how out of touch with the catholic religion I was, and that's just fine by me. Still am not a fan.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    good luck on your journey. i hope you find what you're looking for.

i like being catholic. i like being a part of something so grand & universal, yet so personal. the "rules" and traditions of this faith passed down through the apostles helps me get closer to God.

as a catholic, my family has grown a billion+ (not from the church's stance on birth control, but because of our shared faith and traditions) and it's cool to know that i'm practicing the same faith as francis of assisi, dorothy day, oscar romero and mother teresa.

catholicism has a sensory magnificence that allows you to experience God through the smell of burning incense, the flickering glow of candles, the richness of hymns, or the touch of a medal on your chest. the sacraments, the sagas of saints and rumors of angels, our bold claims and stands on peace and justice just make it all the more interesting.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    My thoughts are it would certainly not hurt, and will definitely be enlightening to you, to try something new.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me