Options

Sunshine, the movie

brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
just finished watching this.

hadn't heard about until it got a bad review on Ebert & Roeper 2 days ago.

pretty good movie.

check it out.

btw, i'm sure some weren't thrilled by the last 20 minutes or so of the movie....it was ok....but it didn't ruin an otherwise good looking film.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Great movie.... and I had no problem with the end, despite the slight genre- bending. That said, I did interpret the film differently to most people I know who've seen it so what do I know?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Great movie.... and I had no problem with the end, despite the slight genre- bending. That said, I did interpret the film differently to most people I know who've seen it so what do I know?

back so soon...

:D

i didn't have a problem with it, just not what i expected.

i liked the whole science vs religious fanaticism...

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    back so soon...

:D

i didn't have a problem with it, just not what i expected.

i liked the whole science vs religious fanaticism...

Monday... Monday...

Yep, indeed. My theory? The killer captain wasn't actually there... figment of their imagination. Remember they were scared of ghosts in the ship? And there were all those faces flashing up? Paranoia....
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    Monday... Monday...

Yep, indeed. My theory? The killer captain wasn't actually there... figment of their imagination. Remember they were scared of ghosts in the ship? And there were all those faces flashing up? Paranoia....

monday, ok. i must have skipped over that part.

not a bad theory...i mean, that would explain how he was on the ship.

i was distracted a bit while watching, i'll have to give it another go.

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    monday, ok. i must have skipped over that part.

not a bad theory...i mean, that would explain how he was on the ship.

i was distracted a bit while watching, i'll have to give it another go.

My brother picked a couple of holes in the theory though... can't remember what they were.

• Options
    My brother picked a couple of holes in the theory though... can't remember what they were.

oh well.

SPOILERS for anybody that might see the movie....

i hate how i keep hearing/reading people say that they didn't like how the movie turned into a slasher flick the last 20-30 minutes....some have gone even so far to say it turned into Jason or Freddy in outer space.

like i said earlier, i'm sure some didn't like the twist...but in no way did it turn it into a horror flick for me.

i remember seeing Pinbacker actually kill one person.

anyway, i have also heard comparisons to the movie Event Horizon. as i have never seen that, what exactly is it about?

• Options
    I think I thought Event Horizon was OK - it's 'space horror' or whatever; pretty gory in places - but it's overrated. I can't even remember it. Sushine is better..

(SPOILERS)

I don't really see the end of Sunshine as a 'twist'; it's foreshadowed very early on, so isn't inconsistent with the rest of the film. I found the film scary and unnerving from the get-go, especially on the big screen. Danny Boyle has a way of building the atmosphere and tension without you realising he's doing it, same with 28 Days Later.

• Options
    Haven't seen it, but I'm watching Mr Woodcock movie, and laffin my azz off.

Something about it is just cracking me up.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I think I thought Event Horizon was OK - it's 'space horror' or whatever; pretty gory in places - but it's overrated. I can't even remember it. Sushine is better..

(SPOILERS)

I don't really see the end of Sunshine as a 'twist'; it's foreshadowed very early on, so isn't inconsistent with the rest of the film. I found the film scary and unnerving from the get-go, especially on the big screen. Danny Boyle has a way of building the atmosphere and tension without you realising he's doing it, same with 28 Days Later.

the only reason i used the word twist is because i see everyone over at imdb throwing the word around.

i would've loved to seen this film on the big screen. beautiful looking movie...

SPOILER...

one of my favorite scenes was when Capt. Kaneda died. very tense, visually awesome, and i really liked the score. actually, i thought the score for the movie was good all the way around.

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    the only reason i used the word twist is because i see everyone over at imdb throwing the word around.

i would've loved to seen this film on the big screen. beautiful looking movie...

SPOILER...

one of my favorite scenes was when Capt. Kaneda died. very tense, visually awesome, and i really liked the score. actually, i thought the score for the movie was good all the way around.

Was that the gay staring at the sun? Turning up the brightness?

Hahahaha I meant 'guy'

• Options
    Was that the gay staring at the sun? Turning up the brightness?

Hahahaha I meant 'guy'

no. it was the guy that went out to fix the panels with Cillian.

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    no. it was the guy that went out to fix the panels with Cillian.

(SPOILERS)

Ah yes.. well that was a moving scene, yeah... The way the sound rises, the music, sound effects... really hikes up the atmosphere.

• Options
    (SPOILERS)

Ah yes.. well that was a moving scene, yeah... The way the sound rises, the music, sound effects... really hikes up the atmosphere.

the visuals also.

this movie alone makes me want to go out and buy a blu-ray player...honestly.

i heard this movie was made cheap compared to all these other types of movies...

let me find the exact figure...

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    the visuals also.

this movie alone makes me want to go out and buy a blu-ray player...honestly.

i heard this movie was made cheap compared to all these other types of movies...

let me find the exact figure...

Have you seen 28 Days Later? Also made on the cheap, I think.

• Options
    Have you seen 28 Days Later? Also made on the cheap, I think.

sure did. i could see that movie being on the cheap.

Sunshine was between 20-25 million pounds or about 40-45 million dollars.