Possible move to Chicago in the works...

brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
oh boy.

this is the city she always talked about and it's looking like it could happen. she's actually leaving it up to me.

"talk me into or out of it"...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its such an awesome city! Where would you be coming from? I love it here, best thing I ever did in my life was pick up and move to Chicago. No regrets here.
  • If I list all the reasons you should move there, I'll get really homesick... :(

So, I'll just say this. Do it! :)
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its such an awesome city! Where would you be coming from? I love it here, best thing I ever did in my life was pick up and move to Chicago. No regrets here.

we would be coming from toledo...

the best thing i ever did was move 2 hrs north of Seattle last year. i've been to Chicago numerous times, we have friends and family there, so that is always good...

i just can't get WA out of my mind. but i know a move out there now won't be happening anytime soon.

Chicago would be good because we are getting out of this town but we are also close enough to drive back over a weekend to see family.

• it seems like a good place. GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    chicago is an awesome city

only bad parts
    its freezing there in the winter and

you are a long way from the ocean in the summer
  • i'd say go for it. for some reason i have a lot of respect for the city of chicago. no real reason i can pinpoint...but i would imagine i'd much rather live there than toledo.
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
    tylerpjtx wrote:
    i'd say go for it. for some reason i have a lot of respect for the city of chicago. no real reason i can pinpoint...but i would imagine i'd much rather live there than toledo.

no imagine...

this place is a hole.

• luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    chicago is the best city ever!
    of course i am a *little* biased :p
    and we DO have one of THE best fan communitys out there
    all are welsome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    brainofPJ wrote:
    oh boy.

this is the city she always talked about and it's looking like it could happen. she's actually leaving it up to me.

im SO late but i saw this and HADD to post here. do the move!!!! chicago is my FAVORITE city apart from L.A i was thinking of moving there a couple months ago and am STILL considering it. its the beach here that keeps me but....if you arent attached....DO IT!!!! that city freakin RULES and theres some good people that live there and near by!!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • SENROCK! wrote:
    im SO late but i saw this and HADD to post here. do the move!!!! chicago is my FAVORITE city apart from L.A i was thinking of moving there a couple months ago and am STILL considering it. its the beach here that keeps me but....if you arent attached....DO IT!!!! that city freakin RULES and theres some good people that live there and near by!!!!!

Senrock! Move! We have a beach.. I mean its a totally lame excuse for the beach, but there is sand, and teeny tiny waves, and lots of fat people in bikinis! You gotta love Lake Michigan..
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I'm from Chicago, now living in AZ.

I miss it immensely! I take every opportunity to go back because it truly is the best city IMO.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Dont think twice. Just move here.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    You live in Toledo.. nothing against Toledo, but you live in Toledo....

Move to Chicago.
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    brainofPJ wrote:
    oh boy.

an accurate view of the city can be seen here

http://www.chicagophotoshop.com :D {/end shamless plug}

you will not regret moving here. let me know if you have any questions/concerns....
    You live in Toledo.. nothing against Toledo, but you live in Toledo....

Move to Chicago.

ok, this made me laugh...honestly.

:D

i might just have to show my wife this.

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'd rather have you back here, but we've visited Chicago twice and loved it. Such a great city. You're already used to the weather and she's always wanted to live there. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    brainofPJ wrote:
    we would be coming from toledo...

the best thing i ever did was move 2 hrs north of Seattle last year. i've been to Chicago numerous times, we have friends and family there, so that is always good...

i just can't get WA out of my mind. but i know a move out there now won't be happening anytime soon.

Chicago would be good because we are getting out of this town but we are also close enough to drive back over a weekend to see family.

That is so cool that you two are willing to relocate so easily. I really think that is exciting. So,yeah, Chicago is pretty awesome I always think. You pretty much can get downtown from most suburbs you live in within a half hour if you go that route and the people I have seen that live in the city have it pretty cool as well--you always see them walking around in most weather and they also seem to have it good.
    We have a lot of things to do here in most weather and I love it. The only place I would be tempted--truly tempted to move to is somewhere tropical. Then I would just like to be able to see the snow when I want to. For now, it is just a bit of the opposite. Only not as often as I want to.....
    but back to the point.........

The flipside is that because you two have moved before and are so compatible in the moving decisions, then you could always move somewhere else if it didn't work out.

would you be living in the city or the suburbs?? and would you be able to relocate your job or would you be looking for a new one?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
    wolfbear wrote:
    I'd rather have you back here, but we've visited Chicago twice and loved it. Such a great city. You're already used to the weather and she's always wanted to live there. :)

i love it. your posts are always so positive :)

thanks wolf!

• a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    been to chicago 2x, my frined moved out there and likes it alot. i really dont like many cities, but chicago is one of the best that ive seen.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    brainofPJ wrote:
    no imagine...

this place is a hole.

yeah....this place is a (w)hole lot better than the dump you live in!

Chicago, a big city without the insanity of NYC. Burb housing is cheap as it has been in years.

We'd love another Ohioian to see the light.

Weather is pretty much the same as Toledo is my guess, but we do have a touch more wind in places(especially Wrigleyville).

based on what you satd, the area would be great for you, it does not have to be "in the city" right? That is a touch-ok a lot - more expensive, but as I mentioned before the burbs are pretty reasonable depending on which ones you pick.

good luck wherever you decide
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Senrock! Move! We have a beach.. I mean its a totally lame excuse for the beach, but there is sand, and teeny tiny waves, and lots of fat people in bikinis! You gotta love Lake Michigan..

yeeeah i saw your "beach". A few months ago i was there with sludawg13 and we walked all up that lake and i said hmmm.....is this the beach????? he said "haha yes!" and i was suddenly fine with it all. but........i would miss the REAL beaches out here. Im a TOTAL beach fanatic. Chicago IS on my mind ALOT though. We shall see....
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    yeah....this place is a (w)hole lot better than the dump you live in!

Chicago, a big city without the insanity of NYC. Burb housing is cheap as it has been in years.

We'd love another Ohioian to see the light.

Weather is pretty much the same as Toledo is my guess, but we do have a touch more wind in places(especially Wrigleyville).

based on what you satd, the area would be great for you, it does not have to be "in the city" right? That is a touch-ok a lot - more expensive, but as I mentioned before the burbs are pretty reasonable depending on which ones you pick.

good luck wherever you decide

i have seen the light!

well, not yet...but my wife was just contacted by the recruiter and asked if she could start the 1st of february...

could be happening a lot sooner than expected.

• You live in Toledo.. nothing against Toledo, but you live in Toledo....

Move to Chicago.

This is very funny. "You live in Toledo". I love how the poster says "nothing against Toledo" and then proceeds to pretty much destroy it in the nicest possible way.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    From the little time I have spent there, I found the people great, the girls hot, and the city clean.
    Thats enough for me.
    If my wife and I ever split.....you can find me there! HAHAHAHA.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    This is very funny. "You live in Toledo". I love how the poster says "nothing against Toledo" and then proceeds to pretty much destroy it in the nicest possible way.

but it's so true...

• GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I don't think I've ever lived somewhere that I have loved so much. Sure if you need to get anywhere in a car, you better leave 3 hours early, but traffic is just part of its charm ;)

Its only crowded because this is the place to be!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I was punched in the stomach by a stranger in Chicago. He just moved right on. It was in the underground tunnels of one of the El stops. I was with someone too. In other ways, also I felt that it is the most mysogynistic city I've lived in.

Your wife should expect that many male co-workers will touch her shoulder and arms a lot. They probably won't value her intelligence, but rather "placate" her if she has an idea.

Chicago was one of the places I was going to move back to from Seattle, because it has so much "potential" to be great. Then I saw the front page of the newspaper with a few men just sitting at a table holding up their beer glasses, and I remembered the ongoing humiliation at 2/3 jobs I had.

I volunteered at the National Runaway Switchboard which is off the Fullerton El stop. The people who worked/volunteered there were very nice. Also, my favorite piece of art is in the art museum there - Monet's Bordighera.

Unfortunately, I'm a hopeful person. I wouldn't be surprised if I try it again, and just throw myself in the fire. Again, there's so much potential.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I was punched in the stomach by a stranger in Chicago. He just moved right on. It was in the underground tunnels of one of the El stops. I was with someone too. In other ways, also I felt that it is the most mysogynistic city I've lived in.

Your wife should expect that many male co-workers will touch her shoulder and arms a lot. They probably won't value her intelligence, but rather "placate" her if she has an idea.

Chicago was one of the places I was going to move back to from Seattle, because it has so much "potential" to be great. Then I saw the front page of the newspaper with a few men just sitting at a table holding up their beer glasses, and I remembered the ongoing humiliation at 2/3 jobs I had.

I volunteered at the National Runaway Switchboard which is off the Fullerton El stop. The people who worked/volunteered there were very nice. Also, my favorite piece of art is in the art museum there - Monet's Bordighera.

Unfortunately, I'm a hopeful person. I wouldn't be surprised if I try it again, and just throw myself in the fire. Again, there's so much potential.

those male co-workers should expect a quick punch to the junk from my wife...

that's what i like about her.

update...

2 job offers.

twice the amount of money made here for one job...

time to look for an apartment.

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Great city. Take the chance. I spent a few years there and had a great time. Always something going on, the free festivals all summer long are a blast. I'd move back given the opportunity.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball