Thinking of buying a Nintendo Wii....talk me into or out of it!!!!

Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
My game system history is Original NES (which i still love and play), then I got SuperNintendo (which was okay, loved the Zelda game on it, and Mortal Kombat), then I got Nintendo 64 (didn't like this system too much, played 007 Goldeneye but that was about it..had a hard time adjusting to the 3D concept), then I was without a gaming system for a while (still going back to the original NES)....currently have a PS2..which I'm kinda indifferent on...I love the Guitar Hero series, and a few sports games.

So I'm hearing a lot of hype with the Wii, and I'm pumped to see you can get classic NES games with it like Techmo Bowl and Mario Bros. Just a little reluctant to get a new $y$tem now.

What's your thoughts on the new systems...Wii, PS3, Xbox 360...or something new that I don't even know about yet!
"It's all happening"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    I have the Wii and love it. I haven't picked up any games yet besides what comes with the console. However the sports games that come with it are a blast.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    there aren't enough good games out to warrant buying one. mine pretty much just sits there. don't buy one yet!
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    I'm a Wii owner, but I don't have a PS3 or 360 which might make my opinion bias, I'll try to be as centric as possible.

You aren't getting great graphics with the Wii, you are effectively getting PS2 like graphics on the Nintendo Wii. The Wii has focused largely on upgraded interface and game play. I haven't been a fan of Nintendo or owned any of their systems since NES, but it appears that the interface has improved. You now have channels which allow you to add to your main screen. For example, you have the weather channel, news channel (Opera Browser) and any games you purchase are also added as "channels". Unfortunately there isn't a lot of content available at the time.

The hardware is sub-par compared to the competition, except the controls. To be honest, I can't fathom playing on a PS2 or Xbox controller after experiencing the Wii. Even though the controls are problematic in many games, it is a lot more fun to use motion controls. For example, I'm a fan of the Electronic Arts franchise SSX, I owned SSX Tricky on the PS2 and had a lot of fun with it. SSX Blur on the Wii is ten times more fun to me, even though it's harder to do tricks and the controls less reliable. But I'm also keen on challenges. Currently the games available are hugely insufficient. A few titles are worth buying but the rest suck. Tiger Woods 08 is a lot of fun, SSX Blur as I already mentioned, The Bigs, Guitar Hero 3 and Mario Strikers Charged are the only ones I personally would invest in. Even these titles seem to be lacking in some game play features. The Bigs and Tiger Woods are fully furnished, but the others lack simple things you normally expect like Instant Replay or Highscores. Most of the Wii games are launch titles though, so this is to be expected. It's unclear what will be the future of the Wii at this point, many of the titles I haven't mentioned take simple game play dynamics and attach the typical Nintendo brands to them, such as Mario and Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast is absolutely a horrible game in my opinion, likewise the minigame collections like Big Brain Academy, Mama's Cook crap and Wario Ware are fun for about 5 minutes then they are prime candidates for eBay.

All in all, I'm happy with my investment, it's a cheap system comparitively and I haven't encountered any huge hardware problems that PS3 and 360 owners have been ranting about. The controls are fun and my brother owns a Wii which means we can swap games and play stuff like Guitar Hero 3 together. Another disadvantage is the lack of downloadable content. Activision has announced additional downloadable content for Guitar Hero 3 on 360 and PS3 but nothing yet for Wii, presumably waiting for the release of Wii Ware next year, and Harmonics still hasn't announced any plans to bring Rock Band to Wii, which is already available for PS2/PS3 and 360. Electronic Arts is in my opinion one of the greatest game developers to date, but they typically don't make multiplatform games, which means if they prefer one system over the other, the others get screwed. My understanding is that 360 and PS3 are similarly capable in such a way that makes cross-platform design easier, but leaves the Wii out of the picture. On the other hand Wii sales are comparable to 360 sales even though 360 was released a year earlier. At some point developers might favor the rising Wii customer base.

It's hard to tell, but as a consumer for the time being I'm both happy and dissapointed due to the reasons above.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Hartydog wrote:
    I have the Wii and love it. I haven't picked up any games yet besides what comes with the console. However the sports games that come with it are a blast.

I'm thinking of getting one; I think the sports games look fun! :D Although, I don't really need something else to take up all my time lol. :p
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Its pretty amazing, planning on getting one if I win fantasy football this season.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    the sports games are a lot of fun...and wii boxing makes for quite good cardio! :D haha.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    My girlfriend wants one but I keep bringing her places to look at the game selection and it is a little discouraging.
    As it is now I'd be paying 300 dollars for Wii sports...and there's no way that is happening...

As for your decision, it depends on the games you like to play. The 360 currently has the best available game library, but the PS3 is catching up and have cut their console prices heavily. The PS3 also has motion sensitive controllers, and next year sees the rumble return to them as well. This Xmas season and next year should see an introduction of worthy exclusives onto the PS3 as well (Uncharted - mix of Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider; the new Metal Gear; etc).
    If you like shooters I find the 360 controller better, and multiplatform games I pretty much go with the 360 (for now).

"On the games, you should focus. Easy will your decision be."
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Posts: 2,489
    Rygar wrote:
    As it is now I'd be paying 300 dollars for Wii sports...and there's no way that is happening...
    I prefer to pay 245 dollars for a LE book
    :D
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Considering I haven't played video games since Pacman was the best thing going, I have no opinion on the matter.
    I don't understand the attraction to the things myself.

What is the attraction to video games?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
    chinobaeza wrote:
    I prefer to pay 245 dollars for a LE book
    :D

hahaha, another 'not gonna happen' :P
    gue_barium wrote:
    Considering I haven't played video games since Pacman was the best thing going, I have no opinion on the matter.

Sorry, I guess that should be either you are entertained by them or you aren't.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Metroid Prime 3
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Zelda
    Wario Ware
    Wii Sports

These games are great and you'll get loooads of time out of them. Plus buying a wii game costs around £30-35 whereas PS3 and 360 = £50
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • qtegirlqtegirl Posts: 321
    We bought a Wii for my daughter in September (she turned 14). The whole family enjoys it. I LOVE it! I usually come home after work and play a few games of tennis before dinner. It feels much better than just sitting around doing nothing. We mostly play the Sports game that comes with it, but we also got:

Madden Football
    The Bigs (baseball)
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Wii Play (comes with an extra remote, so you pay $10 for the game)
    Dragonball Z 2

I bought all the extra games on e-bay and paid either half or less than half of the retail price. I've tried to get the more popular games on e-bay (Zelda, Paper Mario, Wario), but they always go for more than $30, and the most I'm willing to pay is 1/2 price ($25).

Anyhow, I think I just went off on a tangent. I love our Wii and barely play our PS2 anymore. I'm still debating what's going to happen when the new Tekken game comes out (that's my ultimate favorite game), because it'll only come out for PS3. I'm not sure I'm willing to dish out $500 for a gaming system. I'm sure you know that the Wii is the least expensive of all the systems.
    Binaural wrote:
    Metroid Prime 3
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Zelda
    Wario Ware
    Wii Sports

These games are great and you'll get loooads of time out of them. Plus buying a wii game costs around £30-35 whereas PS3 and 360 = £50

What type of game is Wario Ware?
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Rygar wrote:
    What type of game is Wario Ware?
    It's basically a collection of mini games that make use of the wireless software. There is a lot of random little games that sound like they'll be awful but you'll find yourself playing them over and over. The best thing about it is it's not a 'gamers' game, anyone can pick it up and play. Plus you can pick it up and play for a few minutes then set it down or play for ages. Its alot of fun.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
    Rygar wrote:
    Sorry, I guess that should be either you are entertained by them or you aren't.

I understand that. I'm just wanting to know from those who are attracted and entertained by that stuff (for hours on end), what is the attraction? How is it entertaining? What's the draw? What pulls one into such a thing?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    gue_barium wrote:
    I understand that. I'm just wanting to know from those who are attracted and entertained by that stuff (for hours on end), what is the attraction? How is it entertaining? What's the draw? What pulls one into such a thing?

I guess it is just fun. A lot of games are content-attractive, in that the story keeps you entertained as a good movie would. Add in top notch audio and/or visuals and it gets even better.
    Playing sports or war type games against your friends can be a lot of fun.
    The more interactive stuff makes for good party-atmosphere entertainment, like the Nintendo Wii being discussed here, and there are games like Scene It (yes, the board game) that are good for party entertainment.
    Rygar wrote:
    I guess it is just fun. A lot of games are content-attractive, in that the story keeps you entertained as a good movie would. Add in top notch audio and/or visuals and it gets even better.
    Playing sports or war type games against your friends can be a lot of fun.
    The more interactive stuff makes for good party-atmosphere entertainment, like the Nintendo Wii being discussed here, and there are games like Scene It (yes, the board game) that are good for party entertainment.

Yeah, the Wii thing looks kind of cool for the fact that the player is actually up and moving with the action.

gue_barium wrote:
    Yeah, the Wii thing looks kind of cool for the fact that the player is actually up and moving with the action.

I was at my cousin's wedding in September and someone gave them a Wii and my aunts and uncles got right into it...mostly baseball and bowling.
  • A recent study showed that almost 70% of Wii owners don't even play it anymore. I find that hard to believe but recently a lot of developers admitted to putting out crap games to try to cash in on the craze.

I ultimately think it's a great system but it does seem to be looked at as more of a novelty than anything else right now.

If you're a fan of Nintendo and their franchises, then you can't go wrong.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Zelda is GREAT! Wii Sports Bowling is FUN AS HELL! I just got guitar hero and I'm loving it, finally, it came out on a Nintendo system. I am sure Metroid is AMAZING, Madden is supposed to be fun as hell.
    The sports games are GREAT to play if you ever have friends over chillin...
    I say go for the wii, it is really amazing, and you can play gamecube games on it(and even plug gamecube controllers into the top of the console!)
  • gue_barium wrote:

This whole "I'm better than you, and what you do is dumb" vibe in all of your posts is highly annoying. You obviously have some sort of interest in video games or you wouldn't have opened this thread. You ask pointless questions. Why do we like video games? Why do I like the color red? Why do you post so much on here?
    "It's all happening"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    binaural wrote:
    Plus buying a wii game costs around £30-35 whereas PS3 and 360 = £50

Dude I have not paid more than £30 for any of my PS3 games, when you shop around on this beautiful invention called the internet things get a lot cheaper.:)
    Seriously boycott those fucking horrible high street prices, emphisis on the "high" there.:D

I'm really stoked with my PS3 already and only see a brighter future coming for it, but the best thing you can do is go down to the stores demo the consoles choose which you like the most then come home and pay less for it over the net.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I've had the Wii for about six months now. i played the hell out of it when I got it. I haven't even turned it on in probably three months now. I play my 360 just about every day. It's all about the game selection for me. I guess I agree with most other posts, look at the game selection, see what you like, and then make your decision on that.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Buy a 360 and support Microsofts monopolization of the world. Forget about the blue/red/green/orange/black/yellow screens/icons/lights/indicators of death.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Waste of $
  • supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Waste of $
    It's not. :think: I wonder if he bought one.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"