Options

Monster Giant Rat Discovered In Indonesia

Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Giant Rat Found in Indonesia

art.giant.rat.jpg

The giant rat is about five times the size of a typical city rat.

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) -- Researchers in a remote jungle in Indonesia have discovered a giant rat and a tiny possum that are apparently new to science, underscoring the stunning biodiversity of the Southeast Asian nation, scientists said Monday.

Unearthing new species of mammals in the 21st century is considered very rare. The discoveries by a team of American and Indonesian scientists are being studied further to confirm their status.

The animals were found in the Foja mountains rainforest in eastern Papua province in a June expedition, said U.S.-based Conservation International, which organized the trip along with the Indonesian Institute of Science.

"The giant rat is about five times the size of a typical city rat," said Kristofer Helgen, a scientist with the Smithsonian Institution in Washington. "With no fear of humans, it apparently came into the camp several times during the trip."

The possum was described as "one of the worlds smallest marsupials."

A 2006 expedition to the same stretch of jungle -- dubbed by Conservation International as a "Lost World" because until then humans had rarely visited it -- unearthed scores of exotic new species of palms and butterflies.

Papua has some of the world's largest tracts of rainforest, but like elsewhere in Indonesia they are being ravaged by illegal logging. Scientists said last year that the Foja area was not under immediate threat, largely because it was so remote.

"It's comforting to know that there is a place on Earth so isolated that it remains the absolute realm of wild nature," said expedition leader Bruce Beehler. "We were pleased to see that this little piece of Eden remains as pristine and enchanting as it was when we first visited." E-mail to a friend

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast
For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
platessmall.jpg
ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
http://www.UNOS.org
Donate Organs and Save a Life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354
    i bet that is a normal size one in manhattan hell i bet that is about the size of the one NYPJ1 stepped on the other day ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    i bet that is a normal size one in manhattan hell i bet that is about the size of the one NYPJ1 stepped on the other day ......

FUCK IT you beat me to it! :D

Arrgh FUCK
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options

I saw one like that in Sri Lanka. 'No biggy'. :D
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354
    I saw one like that in Sri Lanka. 'No biggy'. :D
    exactly those run around in central park all the time in the summer nights and way uglier than that one, it be hard to find anyone willing to pick up one of the manhattan rats fuck that i say ... :D
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    thats so gross. I hate rats. They scare me :(
  • Options
    cute
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • Options
    CateetoCateeto Posts: 377
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Aw they're not so bad... Like little dogs. Being a former pet rat owner, I'll take a rat over any other pet (aside from kitties) any day! :D

I want to own that rat! He looks so cool!
  • Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:

I don't know why. :)
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    "what about the ROUS's?"
    "rodents of unusual size? i dont think they exist."
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    There is not a broom or a shoe big enough to beat a rat that size. :eek:

Edit: Not that I condone something like that.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    "what about the ROUS's?"
    "rodents of unusual size? i dont think they exist."

1,000 cool points for the Princess Bride reference. :D !
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    It's someones child...they just didn't shave it
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    be a good meal yummy
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    phillyfan wrote:
    be a good meal yummy

Camden Cheese Steak! ;)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    drivingrl wrote:
    1,000 cool points for the Princess Bride reference. :D !

i had a criminal law professor who always posed hypotheticals when talking about murders to see how our views would change if the victim were only mostly dead ;)
  • Options
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Camden Cheese Steak! ;)
    good one
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    exactly those run around in central park all the time in the summer nights and way uglier than that one, it be hard to find anyone willing to pick up one of the manhattan rats fuck that i say ... :D
    sorry,...
    NYCs biggest rat isnt that big.
    even the bigger ones that dwell around the great jamaica bay ( some call them cat szed rats ) but still they arent as big as that one .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533

HOLY MOLY!~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS A RAT
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    sorry,...
    NYCs biggest rat isnt that big.
    even the bigger ones that dwell around the great jamaica bay ( some call them cat szed rats ) but still they arent as big as that one .

i wish i could of brought u to the fish market when it was open

the water rats that were around weren't that much smaller ,,we used to shoot them with zip guns lol oh the joy
  • Options
    in kentucky, we call those groundhogs!!!
    If I had known then...what I know now...

the vic ~ 8.2.07
    eV at The Ryman ~ 6.18.09
    st. louis ~ 5.4.10
    If we all did a little, together we could make a BIG difference....wanna help us?
    Then visit http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com
  • Options
    haha niice
    Anyone else here having Princess Bride flash backs?
    Guess those scientists found the fire swamp lol.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    FUCK!!! This MAN is tiny!!!!
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.