Options

Already Sick of Job-Hunting

PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
One month since I graduated, and I am already sick of looking for jobs. Damn, I wish I could be done with it already.
We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Give it some time, it has only been a month. You will find one!! :)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Porchsitting ain't paying like it used to eh?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    give it some time. have fun for now....and gooooodd luck! I dont know why I stretched the good. I guess I really meant it!
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    I'm trying. I really am. It's just that one of the jobs that I really wanted closed out today so I'm a bit down at the moment. That feeling won't last long, I'm sure.
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I'm trying. I really am. It's just that one of the jobs that I really wanted closed out today so I'm a bit down at the moment. That feeling won't last long, I'm sure.

Don't worry, another door will open soon. Set a goal of how many applications you will complete per day and how many interviews you want to schedule per week. The rest is out of your control so don't beat yourself up over things you can't control..keep at it and good luck..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    One month since I graduated, and I am already sick of looking for jobs. Damn, I wish I could be done with it already.

Just the tip of the iceberg. You've got a long, disappointing career ahead of you.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    Just the tip of the iceberg. You've got a long, disappointing career ahead of you.

Just the type of encouragement I was looking for. Thanks.
  • Options
    That's normal, buddy. It took me a year after graduating (graduate-level) to find a good job.

Just keep sending out the resume.

What field are you going into anyway?
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    good luck...
    it's a bad oment, having to find a job...
    When i've been graduated, it took me almost one year to get my first real job.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    relax and have fun...then will be one month since you started working and you'll be sick again!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    chinobaeza wrote:
    relax and have fun...then will be one month since you started working and you'll be sick again!
    Ugh, how true...
  • Options
    I'm with you. I'm in the same boat even though I'm not a recent graduate.

I'm sick of job hunting too! I've joined a temping agency to get some work even though assignments are a bit sporadic at the moment. Have you tried that? At least it'll get you out there in the workplace, earning, and you'll build up experience too.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    My suggestion (take it for what it's worth) is to find a "fun" job that you've always wanted to do but haven't because you wanted to make more money....do this while you job hunt.

For example:
    if your education is in accounting, but you love music. Take a job at a record store while you keep searching for accounting positions. Then when you get an accounting job, keep working part time at the record store if you still find it fun.
  • Options
    Just the type of encouragement I was looking for. Thanks.

I aim to please.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    job searching is the worst.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    That's normal, buddy. It took me a year after graduating (graduate-level) to find a good job.

Just keep sending out the resume.

What field are you going into anyway?

I graduated with a journalism degree, but I want to do production/post-production work in sports. I'm looking for any type of job within that field but so far to no avail.

...and believe me, I'm trying to make the best of my time right now. It's just that I'm an older graduate so I feel all of this is just a waste of time and energy albeit absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    I graduated with a journalism degree, but I want to do production/post-production work in sports. I'm looking for any type of job within that field but so far to no avail.

...and believe me, I'm trying to make the best of my time right now. It's just that I'm an older graduate so I feel all of this is just a waste of time and energy albeit absolutely necessary.
    The degree was worth it, don't worry. It gets your resume looked at. Stuff you learn on your own is what will usually get you the job, but the degree is a common filter companies use when hiring.

I would think in sports production, an internship would be something good to do. Even if it's not paid, just work some crummy job in the mean time. And if not an internship, just do something that gets you in-touch with people who are working the jobs you wanna work. Networking can really help.

That's just my 2 cents...I think my B.S. got my resume looked at, stuff I learned on my own got me the job, and my M.S. got me a higher starting salary.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    the best is giving your name and getting told we'll get back to you....
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."