Options

intuition

prismprism Posts: 2,440
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
why do you think that people are taught or rather conditioned to disregard their intuition or perceived foresight and that of others? is it because it's not something tangible that can measured? could it have something to do with the fact that most people are brought up and taught to put their trust in an omnipotent God that can be the only one that knows anything intangible, and therefore us lowly mortals shouldn't give any credence to our own intuition and/or foresight or gut instinct?

maybe it's that it's only the person that is going by their intuition that's usually the only one that's knows if it was correct or if it was wrong? i mean sure there's been times when I've "just known things" beforehand and have stated it aloud to family/friends and when later on it comes to light that I was correct I mostly hear things such as "whoa, you're weird, how in the hell did you know that was going to happen?" :eek:
I used to love to freak the hell out of my parents...lol. with my kids it was more likely to scare 'em so with them I tended to stuff it, and kept it mostly to myself. it's not like i think I'm psychic or anything like that, I think that it has more to do with not dismissing and listening to and "going with" my intuition (believe me, i wish i've done this alot more often) than most people are willing to do.

so do you tend to go with or dismiss your intuition? I'm not just talikng about when you cross to the other side of the street when some shady-looking sort is headed in your direction on the side that you're on, either ;)

:)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
angels share laughter
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Read The Celestine Prophecy, if you haven't yet. Highly related to what you're talking about here
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i usually go with it, but in the case of individuals, i'll bite my tongue for a bit in order to give a person a chance. like my sis' ex for example....i had him figured out the second i met him, had that immediate gut reaction, like something wasn't right. i let her know how i felt but i kept open and was nice, actually hoping i was wrong and that maybe my antennae were on the fritz or something lol

ended up that i was right. go figure!
  • Options
    MarblesMarbles Posts: 49
    Emperor's new clothes time, people don't like the notion that some of us are observant, and perceptive, and can formulate thoughts before we "should" be able to, so they try to deny that others can see what is going on.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    prism wrote:
    why do you think that people are taught or rather conditioned to disregard their intuition or perceived foresight and that of others? is it because it's not something tangible that can measured? could it have something to do with the fact that most people are brought up and taught to put their trust in an omnipotent God that can be the only one that knows anything intangible, and therefore us lowly mortals shouldn't give any credence to our own intuition and/or foresight or gut instinct?

maybe it's that it's only the person that is going by their intuition that's usually the only one that's knows if it was correct or if it was wrong? i mean sure there's been times when I've "just known things" beforehand and have stated it aloud to family/friends and when later on it comes to light that I was correct I mostly hear things such as "whoa, you're weird, how in the hell did you know that was going to happen?" :eek:
    I used to love to freak the hell out of my parents...lol. with my kids it was more likely to scare 'em so with them I tended to stuff it, and kept it mostly to myself. it's not like i think I'm psychic or anything like that, I think that it has more to do with not dismissing and listening to and "going with" my intuition (believe me, i wish i've done this alot more often) than most people are willing to do.

so do you tend to go with or dismiss your intuition? I'm not just talikng about when you cross to the other side of the street when some shady-looking sort is headed in your direction on the side that you're on, either ;)

:)

Go with intuition.
    Your kids are part you, guide them along the path.
    Don't hide this from them, it's a gift so to speak.
    Even your gut feeling says don't hide/bury it away.
    I might know a few things about this topic.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    i usually go with it, but in the case of individuals, i'll bite my tongue for a bit in order to give a person a chance. like my sis' ex for example....i had him figured out the second i met him, had that immediate gut reaction, like something wasn't right. i let her know how i felt but i kept open and was nice, actually hoping i was wrong and that maybe my antennae were on the fritz or something lol

ended up that i was right. go figure!

that's something i often tend to do with individuals as well. if i get a "bad feeling" about someone I usually try give them the benefit of the doubt hoping that my initial instincts were wrong or faulty. it's kinda strange how usually they're spot on...or maybe not so strange if I more often just allowed myself to go with what I "knew" to begin with
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Marbles wrote:
    Emperor's new clothes time, people don't like the notion that some of us are observant, and perceptive, and can formulate thoughts before we "should" be able to, so they try to deny that others can see what is going on.

haha...my mother always used to say to me "you are so observant" I admit that I liked it when she'd tell me that as pretty much it was the closest thing to a compliment that she'd tell me
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    MarblesMarbles Posts: 49
    prism wrote:
    haha...my mother always used to say to me "you are so observant" I admit that I liked it when she'd tell me that as pretty much it was the closest thing to a compliment that she'd tell me
    Are you my twin?!?!?

If so, can I be the evil twin? The evil twin always has all of the fun...
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    Go with intuition.
    Your kids are part you, guide them along the path.
    Don't hide this from them, it's a gift so to speak.
    Even your gut feeling says don't hide/bury it away.
    I might know a few things about this topic.

my daughter is 22 and my son is 20 and both of them are out of the house on their own. my daughter and i will sometimes discuss it. however my son will not talk about it and kinda brushes it off as 'Mom's just being creepy again' :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Marbles wrote:
    Are you my twin?!?!?

If so, can I be the evil twin? The evil twin always has all of the fun...

we must be. what does your intuition tell you? ;) can we take turns being the evil one though? like switch off weeks or something? I sure could use some fun...
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~