Options

Marriage

pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone know how quickly my fiance and I can get married. She's in the air force and will be done with her job training on jan 31. We want to get married before she must report to her new base. But we don't know how long she'll be able to come home for. It may be just for a day. We already have the marriage license. Is it possible to get married in a day without any notice to anyone? So we need to get married as soon and as quickly as possible.
thanks a lot. I hope I'm clear on my question.
"I'm a thief, and I dig it"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I think it depends on the laws of the state you plan on getting married in. Some states have a waiting period.

First go-round I was married in Vegas, no waiting period that I can recall.

Second marriage, we had something like 72 hours before we could get hitched.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,083
    didn't your other post say she was just 19?

That is [size=+2]WAY [/size] too young to get married.

Don't do it yet..................seriously.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    vegas
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I got married in the Valley of Fire in Nevada, and there was no waiting period. We picked up the license and got married the same day. Some states require blood tests, some a waiting period.. you can google, your states requirements.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,752
    The prenups that say you keep what you started with and split 50/50 earned during may be a good idea if you're gonna have a quickie.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    Does this have anything to do with the pregnancy test? ;)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/minnesota.htm
    I'm assuming this is where you are from your location. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I got married in the Valley of Fire in Nevada, and there was no waiting period. We picked up the license and got married the same day. Some states require blood tests, some a waiting period.. you can google, your states requirements.

You got married in Nevada??? :)

That is way cool. Although I think I'd go the whole hog and wander into Vegas and have the elvis impersonator too! :D Something about it tickles me. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:

That is way cool. Although I think I'd go the whole hog and wander into Vegas and have the elvis impersonator too! :D Something about it tickles me. :)
    Paul and I did too. I just never wanted a big wedding, so decided to go to Vegas. It was very fun, just my parents and his. Had an awesome time. Of course we had a big party a month later. Receptions are fun, weddings aren't so much, at least to me. :) What is funny is later we found out that one of my friends got married at the same place and another friend that I hadn't talked to in a while had just moved there the same weekend. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:

I did, and I spent the week in Vegas partying hardcore!

It was the most awesome week of my life. LOVED it!

We tried to keep the elvis out of the wedding, but they did have an Elvis DVD playing in the limo on the way home, I was like.. NOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    kc_pjkc_pj Posts: 284
    Though I want to have a simple wedding with family and friends, I think getting married in Vegas would be so much fun!
    "Seek my part, devote myself.
    My small self. Like a book amongst the many on a shelf."

"I'm already 30% more unpredictable."
    -Pam Beesly
  • Options
    here is a picture from the wedding at the Valley of Fire State Park. We got married right there up on the rocks! it was amazing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14915606@N07/2164795138/

Yeah, I had really dark hair then, and now I am done jacking your thread. Apologies!
  • Options
    here is a picture from the wedding at the Valley of Fire State Park. We got married right there up on the rocks! it was amazing!

Yeah, I had really dark hair then, and now I am done jacking your thread. Apologies!
    That's a beautiful picture. :)
  • Options
    dude you're 20 years old. don't do it. whats the harm in waiting?
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    Paul and I did too. I just never wanted a big wedding, so decided to go to Vegas. It was very fun, just my parents and his. Had an awesome time. Of course we had a big party a month later. Receptions are fun, weddings aren't so much, at least to me. :) What is funny is later we found out that one of my friends got married at the same place and another friend that I hadn't talked to in a while had just moved there the same weekend. :)

Excellent! :)

That's pretty much my idea of a wedding. Either beach at sunset, park, somewhere pretty, or vegas, just me and him and the immediate folk and then slap up party with everyone after. Of course if I had mega bucks I'd just fly everyone up to Queensland or Maui or Tahiti or something and we could make a holiday of it. :) But the actual wedding itself I've always considered my business and therefore intimate. If I want a big production I just go play theatre. :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    I did, and I spent the week in Vegas partying hardcore!

It was the most awesome week of my life. LOVED it!

We tried to keep the elvis out of the wedding, but they did have an Elvis DVD playing in the limo on the way home, I was like.. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

No good the elvis??? :( Man I love Elvey that would be such a blast I reckon! :)

It's weird how it appeals to me really, because I'm the person least likely to have any interest in Vegas at all and yet somehow the idea of marrying there really appeals to me. :)

Sounds like yours was very cool! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options

Magic shot! :)

Looks like Kalbarri WA and the Nature's Window. :)

Beautiful but stinking hot!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    you are way, way, way too young to get married. given that you have unprotected sex several times and worry about pregnancy when you're just starting out in life, it also seems that you're both pretty irresponsible, even for your age.

but to answer your question, I assume you would have to make an appointment in advance.
  • Options
    Yes we are young, but the unprotected sex was planned before hand. And no, the pregnancy is not why we are deciding on marriage.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213

wow. i've been there.

wow.
  • Options
    Yes we are young, but the unprotected sex was planned before hand. And no, the pregnancy is not why we are deciding on marriage.

People will always give you shit for the age thing. I get it all the time from people. I had just turned 23, 2.5 weeks before my wedding. Complete strangers still tell me I made a huge mistake and threw my life away. Not very nice, it makes me feel like crap. However, everyone will always have their opinions and will have NO problem sharing them with you.

I won't tell you to do it, or not do it based on age or any other reasons. We don't know you, and its shitty to judge people when you don't know them. I do hope you find happiness, and if getting married is truly right for you, then I wish you the best. It does take a lot of work though. Think it through completely, don't rush into anything. Thats my advice, and best of luck.
  • Options
    Good luck to you and have your questions been answered? :) This thread kind of strayed a bit.
  • Options

pearlzep, I have no clue what the rules and laws are about marrige where you are, I'll just say this, if you truly believe this is what you want, go for it with all your heart and don't ever let anyone tell you that you're too young or too old or whatever. It's your life and your path to choose and I wish you the very best of good fortune. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    People, stop telling them they're too young. I was married a week after I turned 21, and am married to the same guy, 25 1/2 years later. (Its the kids I want to abandon on the mountain top sometimes, but that's another story heh) Not every young marriage turns out bad.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    People, stop telling them they're too young. I was married a week after I turned 21, and am married to the same guy, 25 1/2 years later. (Its the kids I want to abandon on the mountain top sometimes, but that's another story heh) Not every young marriage turns out bad.

Exactly! :)

And by far getting married young is not the worst thing that can happen in a life. Sometimes it's even the best thing. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:

And by far getting married young is not the worst thing that can happen in a life. Sometimes it's even the best thing. :)

I agree. If it's right it's right, doesn't matter what age. We don't know, only those involved do. :)
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    wolfbear wrote:
    I agree. If it's right it's right, doesn't matter what age. We don't know, only those involved do. :)

I completely agree.....but if I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I never would have married at the age of 25, far too young....that's me. Given your thread regarding not knowing if you're pregnant or not/having questioned pregancy in the past, my opinion is that you're too young and irresponsible to handle the pressure and responsibility of marriage. It's not a walk in the park.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:

You just gotta follow your heart and your head and do what you think you should or what you want to do at the time and you're either gonna be right or wrong and either way you're gonna learn stuff. And it doesn't matter how young or old you are, you're always learning. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • Options
    It will probably take at least a little planning... maybe a short waiting period for the license and you have to arrange someone to officiate it. Not huge planning by any means, but it's not something (at least in most states) that you can wake up one day and decide to get married that day.

I'm not going to say that you are too young, but just put some thought in it and decided what is right for you both not only now, but down the road. From the bits I've gathered from other posts, you are newly separated, and the stress and excitement of her quickly changing life with the Air Force could make anyone jump the gun a bit. It it was up to me, like most MAJOR decisions such as this, I would try to sleep on it a bit, and make it when life is a little calmer. But in the end, it's both of your choices. Good luck!
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln