Options

Film: Charlie Wilson's War

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? I went to see it last night, went to the late showing and there were only two other people in the theater. Granted, it was the 11pm showing on a Friday night so everyone else was out on the town.

Anyway, back to the film. I really enjoyed it, but the only criticism i have is that it was too short. It clocked in at about 1 hr and 20 mins, when they could've easily drawn some bits out.

Tom Hanks is fantastic as Charlie; Hanks never does a bad film! Julia Roberts was great but wasn't in it as much as i thought she would be; and Philip Seymour Hoffman was just hilarious. He looked funny and he had some priceless lines thanks to my favourite writer, Aaron Sorkin! I'll always watch something if Sorkin is linked somehow, and it was good to see his writing is still top notch.
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I saw this last weekend. I really enjoyed it.

Totally agree with you about Hoffman and Sorkin. Hoffman had some of the best lines and I'll pretty much see anything that Sorkin is a part of.

Julia Roberts didn't really annoy me as much as she usually does.
  • Options
    yeah one of the best movies ive seen last year. very funny
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    saw it when it first opened and really, really enjoyed it. good stuff! :) hanks, roberts and particularly hoffman....stellar.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    saw it the other week. awesome movie. hanks and hoffman were incredible.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I liked the film, but actually thought it was too long. The last 20 minutes felt like they were trying to add filler just to strethit out. The first hour was very good.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,841
    Hoffman deserves an Oscar nod for this one. Great flick.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Hoffman deserves an Oscar nod for this one. Great flick.

there are 2 other films, that i have unfortunately yet to see...that i have read so much buzz about for hoffman:

before the devil knows your dead
    the savages

i sooooooooooo want to see both of em, but sadly up to this point only played in really shitty/uncomfortable theatres. before the devil knows your dead came and went already....but the savages is still playing, and i am hoping it gets a bit wider release, as in the bigger theatres pick it up.

i have never seen hoffman turn in a less than amazing performance in any film he's been in. he really IS just *that good* at his craft.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i agree with everything everyones already said. hanks and hoffman together were really done well, the seriousness of the movie tied in with their dialog was perfect, and julia roberts didn't wear out her welcome. shes actually kinda hot! but to the original poster i swear when i saw it it was about 1:40. but i guess thats irrelavent
  • Options
    i agree with everything everyones already said. hanks and hoffman together were really done well, the seriousness of the movie tied in with their dialog was perfect, and julia roberts didn't wear out her welcome. shes actually kinda hot! but to the original poster i swear when i saw it it was about 1:40. but i guess thats irrelavent

according to yahoo! movies...it's 1 hour, 37 minutes. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    according to yahoo! movies...it's 1 hour, 37 minutes. :)

i wasn't far off then :p
    I could've sworn it was shorter than that though; either way it should've been a bit longer.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."