Options

Some Blu-ray news!

13»

Comments

• Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    .. And I refuse to pay more than $20 for a movie. Fuck that.
    so you sat out dvd from 1999-2002?

just checking
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    I could really careless which one wins. I just want a definitive format... And I refuse to pay more than $20 for a movie. Fuck that.

i'm the same way.

i've seen movies in all formats and right now i'm fine with all my dvds. i especially like that they are cheap...

doesn't take anything away from my enjoying the movie....as long as it's a good flick.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    oh and a digital video recorder also...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    By far superior, do you mean the extra space it holds?

Here's my gripe. Blu-rays only advantage is extra space, however most movies fit onto HD with no problem. Both put out 1080p.. so now Blu-rays only real advantage is data storage.. but flash drives and hard drives are getting so big now, there's no point to burning data anymore.

I could really careless which one wins. I just want a definitive format... And I refuse to pay more than $20 for a movie. Fuck that.

Extra space also means better (uncompressed) audio.
    $20+ for a movie is BS, but we've been through this w/ DVDs also.
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    just to put a little more salt in the wound

Money was an issue. Toshiba offered to pay Warner Brothers substantial incentives to come down on its side — just as it gave Paramount and DreamWorks Animation a combined $150 million in financial incentives for their business, according to two executives with knowledge of the talks who asked not to be identified.

What would one of these format war posts be without another mention of Michael Bay. Here's what he had to say on his website yesterday about the Warner news:

"Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    skanjiskanji Posts: 20
    OK PJ, your turn...

how far are we from a Pearl Jam Blu-Ray disc?

Screw the $100+ books and posters...just give us the music on blu-ray!!!
    me:
    09/21/96 Toronto,ON
    08/20/98 Montreal,QC
    08/22/98 Toronto,ON
    10/04/00 Montreal,QC
    10/05/00 Toronto,ON
    06/28/03 Toronto,ON
    06/29/03 Montreal,QC
    09/28/04 Boston,MA
    09/29/04 Boston,MA
    09/11/05 Kitchener,ON
    09/12/05 London,ON
    09/13/05 Hamilton,ON
    09/15/05 Montreal,QC
    09/16/05 Ottawa,ON
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    so you sat out dvd from 1999-2002?

just checking

Personally, I was checking the sale papers every Sunday to see which store would be selling the new release on Tuesday for the lowest price (generally 13-16 dollars). Or getting it used for $10-12 a few weeks later. Just like I do now.

As much as I love my HDTV, I'll be sitting this out for a while as well. It looks like Blu-Ray won the battle over HDDVD, but that doesn't mean it will win the war. By that I mean maybe this war wasn't the new Beta vs. VHS, maybe the winner gets to be the new "luxury item," and never the standard, much like Laserdisc.

Don't get me wrong, Blu Ray does look better than DVD. But not enough to warrant buying a system for what they cost now. And it certainly isn't so great that I'll replace my current DVD's if it does become the standard (except for a rare few, like Apocalypse Now and Harry Potter.)

But it is no way worth $399 when upscaled or progressive scan DVDs look fine.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Don't get me wrong, Blu Ray does look better than DVD.
    Blu-ray and HD DVD look the same. Both 1080p. The advantage of Blu-ray is better uncompressed sound.. My hearing sucks anyways, so it makes no difference to me who wins.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,260
    skanji wrote:
    OK PJ, your turn...

how far are we from a Pearl Jam Blu-Ray disc?

Screw the $100+ books and posters...just give us the music on blu-ray!!!

I gotta say, the last PJ DVD looks very nice upconverted...but I too would really like to have the next one on Blu-ray!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    mca47 wrote:
    I gotta say, the last PJ DVD looks very nice upconverted...but I too would really like to have the next one on Blu-ray!
    I noticed that too. Some DVDs look better than others upconverted. For some reason with Imagine at the Cornice I have to take a double look at it before I realize its not HD.