Options

Mansfield 2

ElderlyWoman19ElderlyWoman19 Posts: 81
edited July 2008 in The Porch
No talk about how dissappointing them not mentioning the anniversary???? No Arc or Love Boat Captain...weird or was it just overhyped???
"Sometimes I burn like a dot on the sun
With no one knowing..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Nobody Has Any Thoughts On This...this Is All I Heard About For Weeks Leading Up To This Show
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    yeah, i thought it was weird.. i was really expecting LBC last night, i was pretty upset that they didnt play it.. though we did get bee girl and education which made up for it :) i wasn't really expecting arc, but LBC for sure. i really thought they were gonna at least mention the anniversary..
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Nobody Has Any Thoughts On This...this Is All I Heard About For Weeks Leading Up To This Show

maybe some people dont know what I am talking about...Mansfield 2 was the anniversary of Roskilde (article below)....

Pearl Jam's darkest hour: Seattle band thought about quitting after concert deaths

Friday, September 1, 2000

By GENE STOUT
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER POP MUSIC CRITIC

Pearl Jam considered breaking up after the June 30 Roskilde Festival, at which nine concertgoers were crushed to death during the Seattle band's performance.

"I think the thought crossed all of our minds, but it wouldn't have been a good way to end it all," guitarist Mike McCready said by phone yesterday from a tour stop in Boston, where the group performed two concerts earlier this week.

McCready
    "We realized we're making viable music. We can't stop. We can't end on a down note."

McCready said Pearl Jam, which formed in 1990 at the height of the Seattle grunge explosion and whose debut album, "Ten," has sold more than 11 million copies, was devastated by what happened at the four-day festival in Denmark.

"It's about the worst thing that can happen to a rock band," McCready said. "People shouldn't have to die at rock concerts."

Fans rushed the stage, crushing to death nine concertgoers and seriously injuring three others. The band appealed to the crowd to move back, but couldn't prevent the massive surge toward the stage. It was one of Europe's worst concert tragedies.

The band halted its performance and the next band, The Cure, canceled its show entirely out of "respect for the dead."

"There are absolutely no words to express our anguish in regard to the parents and loved ones of those precious lives that were lost," the band said at the time in a statement posted on its Web site.

Inspired by the 1969 Woodstock Festival, the Roskilde Festival made its debut in 1971 and is held annually on a farm in Roskilde, about 25 miles west of Copenhagen.

Pearl Jam, which includes McCready and guitarist Stone Gossard, singer Eddie Vedder, bassist Jeff Ament and drummer Matt Cameron, has gone to great lengths to prevent injuries at its concerts, where fans usually mosh near the front of the stage. The group has used a customized barrier with padded railings to provide a buffer between the stage and the mosh pit.

Last month, band members voluntarily met with Danish police in Florida so that both sides could gain a better understanding of what went wrong. Both the band and the Danish police described the meetings as informative and productive.

Roskilde Festival organizers recently set up the Roskilde 2000 Tragedy Fund. According to the official Web site at http://www.roskilde-festival.dk, the fund will support "research and development of health and security measures for large gatherings of young people in connection with cultural events, especially musical events."

Last month, Pearl Jam kicked off a U.S. tour, its first string of performances since Europe. The first leg ends Tuesday in Pittsburgh. The second leg begins Oct. 4 in Montreal, Canada, and finishes up with the band's fourth Seattle benefit concert Nov. 5 at KeyArena.

McCready said the final show in the band's recent three-night stand at Jones Beach on New York's Long Island was one of the best of the tour.

"The night's theme was recovery, as the band absorbed the inspiration it usually provides," wrote New York Times critic Ann Powers in a review of the show.

Vedder asked for the crowd's help in singing along to the cathartic "Jeremy."

"The fans instantly complied, and in such moments, Pearl Jam must have realized the value of its caring, slow-growth strategy."

Despite the tragedy in Denmark, McCready said the band is in an upbeat mood and is looking forward to its Seattle show.

"We're all mentally pretty tough," he said. "I feel very good, very positive. And the fans have been really supportive."

After he returns home during a break in the tour, McCready will perform with his side band, the Rockfords, Sept. 15 at The Showbox.

He recently added another tattoo to his already well-decorated body.

"I have seven now on my arms and pecs," he said. "It makes me look a lot tougher than I really am."
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    I actually thought they made a pretty good statement by not mentioning it specifically or playing a song we know is specific to it. They probably think about it every day and don't see the need to rehash it again.

BTW, there are rumors that Ed changed briefly before Bee Girl. I didn't hear it though.
  • Options
    I do not see the need to bring this up because some people feel they shorted us by not celebrating an aniversary date.
    Its not something that should be mentioned.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I actually thought they made a pretty good statement by not mentioning it specifically or playing a song we know is specific to it. They probably think about it every day and don't see the need to rehash it again.

BTW, there are rumors that Ed changed briefly before Bee Girl. I didn't hear it though.
    he sang a very tiny bit of Arc right before Bee Girl
  • Options
    tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    i thought i started to hear arc but i thought my ears were playing wishful tricks on me.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    Yeah he definitely did a couple notes of Arc. I didn't think too many people caught that one.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    "I have seven now on my arms and pecs," [Mike] said. "It makes me look a lot tougher than I really am."

Inside Job!!
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    Yeah he definitely did a couple notes of Arc. I didn't think too many people caught that one.

i saw him step up to the mic to begin something........didn't quite sound like Arc to me, but I only heard it for a second.
  • Options
    He definitely played the first few seconds of arc... it was interesting.
  • Options
    He definitely played the first few seconds of arc... it was interesting.

I didn't hear that...I'll have to wait for my boot to arrive to catch it....thanks.
    With no one knowing..."