Options

To hell with seniority & random 1-2, 9-10 seating

Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
edited April 2008 in The Porch
If they really want to give each fan the front-row experience, they need to learn from U2 3D.

I just got back from seeing this in an IMAX theater and it was fucking amazing. Better than any U2 concert I've even been to in person because they play such huge venues and I've never had good seats.

Who else has seen this? Whether you're a U2 fan or not, you should check it out. The camera work is jaw dropping. Despite the fact that U2 always brings an insane amount of energy and the fans are just incredible, you feel very much a part of the show, right there in front. Several times I really felt like I was at a show, with people's arms in the air in front of me, jumping, bouncing, singing....simply amazing. To top it off the footage was from Argentina and as anyone who's seen any South American concert knows, the crowds are about fifty million times better than anywhere in the states.

Yet I couldn't help but think how much MORE amazing it would be if it were Pearl Jam. Is it "selling out" to make such an amazing film? I don't think so. It gave me and millions of other fans the front row experience that I'll never have with U2, and most of them won't either.

Come on you pussies, let's see PJ 3D.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    U2 Sucks
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    U2 Sucks

Not really.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    no, im being serious
    they're awful i wouldnt lie to u
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    U2 Sucks
    your mom
  • Options
    no, im being serious
    they're awful i wouldnt lie to u
    Either way, I'm not talking about how great U2 are. I'm talking about how great the idea is. It's EXTREMELY realistic and makes you feel like you're at the show. Up close where many will never be.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    U2 is great, but I'm sorry, NOTHING compares to seeing a band live.

I don't care if I'm in the first row or at the very back of the arena, I'd rather be AT a show a million times more than watching a show on the big screen.

Very simply, it's the shared moment -- the living, breathing, anything-can-happen-next moment -- that one experiences with the band and the other fans during a live show that is incomparable to sitting in a theater and watching something that has already happened.

It's my personal opinion, of course, but I wouldn't change a single one of my live Pearl Jam experiences for the greatest Pearl Jam show ever...on a screen.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I find Filmed concerts boring.

seriously, I can only seat through about 1/2 hour then my mind starts to wander.. (and yes I do know the irony of me torrenting about a 100 of them..but I have watched less than 10.. some people want them though so..)

I don't think 3D would make a jot of difference.

btw, how come the op didn't get to see U2 close? they're doing GA shows even in the US no? (it was GA hawaii, so I assume)..then all you have to do is put in the effort! ( and I was front row the only U2 show I attended..back in 89 when they were still good..)
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    U2 Sucks
    agreed, quite possibly the most overrated band ever; this post is stupid
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,927
    i've never been to a u2 concert live before. i've seen a few dozen fan made u2 videos. and have listened to them for year's. i think they are good. their older stuff is great. not so much a fan of their latest stuff. i think many fans got pissed when pop was released. ya know .. the techno dance moving style jams.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    If they really want to give each fan the front-row experience, they need to learn from U2 3D.

I just got back from seeing this in an IMAX theater and it was fucking amazing. Better than any U2 concert I've even been to in person because they play such huge venues and I've never had good seats.

Who else has seen this? Whether you're a U2 fan or not, you should check it out. The camera work is jaw dropping. Despite the fact that U2 always brings an insane amount of energy and the fans are just incredible, you feel very much a part of the show, right there in front. Several times I really felt like I was at a show, with people's arms in the air in front of me, jumping, bouncing, singing....simply amazing. To top it off the footage was from Argentina and as anyone who's seen any South American concert knows, the crowds are about fifty million times better than anywhere in the states.

Yet I couldn't help but think how much MORE amazing it would be if it were Pearl Jam. Is it "selling out" to make such an amazing film? I don't think so. It gave me and millions of other fans the front row experience that I'll never have with U2, and most of them won't either.

this might be the corniest thing i ever read in my life.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'd love to see PJ do an IMAX. All the ones I've seen have been incredible. True, nothing like being there in person, but I've seen several and they are great. Very limited audience though as you need a special theater, so I don't see it happening. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    i highly recommend everybody check out shine a light - the rolling stones film done by martin scorsese.
    I saw it last week, and it is amazing.
    It will be even better with the sydney premiere at the IMAX!!!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    VacateVacate Posts: 57
    My friend saw this 3 times and had the same reaction as the original post. He raved about how groundbreaking the filming was, and i guess the sound took a year to mix. I'd love to see it if i didnt have to drive 2 hours to the nearest Imax theater. And no, U2 does not suck.
    www.myspace.com/vacate3
  • Options
    U2 Sucks

I second that......
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i went to a screening of Touring Band at the Cinerama back in 2001. that screen isnt IMAX, but is is HUGE. that was pretty awesome...and the crowd cheered after songs like it was a show. i would love to see a PJ IMAX show.
  • Options
    agreed, quite possibly the most overrated band ever; this post is stupid
    Fucking ignorant bastard. This post isn't about U2. Get over it. Learn to read and then we'll talk.
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    Yeah a mate said it was great, he felt like he was there.
    Ive heard there is a Rolling stones one coming soon as well and that its better
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    ashtrayrockashtrayrock Posts: 167
    u23d was damn incredible too bad their concert tickets are so expensive. to me i'd rather see u2 charge less and NOT do a 3d film, if that was a trade off. if pj had to charge that much for a ticket i'd bash them to.

money its a gas
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • Options

why does seat location have so much control over your shows

1 I look foward to just knowing the shows are comming
    2 I look foward to the atmosphere in general
    3 its 100 percent music for me, i have a great time in any seat.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    Yellow Ledbetter is my least favorite song. Because as soon as you hear the first note you know it is time to say goodbye.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Yes, I agree that there is not much difference between seeing U2 live and seeing U2 at the movie theater ;).

I can tell you from personal experience that seeing PJ in a movie theater (Immagine in Cornice) was nearly unbearable for me... I could not sit still and keep quiet :D

Happy birthday!
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    it was alright, but the novelty wore off after the first few songs...
  • Options
    Its sorta like a season ticket system. You don't just decide today that you want season tickets to your favorite sports team and they look and say OH MY today is the day that (enter your name here) has decided to join our fan base screw the people that have been paying us for years. Now that they are here they deserve the best seats in the house. Get real I think its pretty cool that they offer us a chance to get tickets before the public does. I am so tired of people complaining about it. Say you are a Green Bay Packers fan I think there is like a 30 or 40 year waiting list to get season tickets. Hell I live in Detroit where the LIONS are a joke and there is like a 3-5 year wait to get season tickets for them and they are the biggest joke in the NFL. I think the 10c was very gracious in allowing a random system for rows 1-2 and 9-10. You said you just joined it last year I have been in it since 1993. Back in the day your fan club membership only gave you 2 tickets for one show or 1 ticket for 2 different shows. They have given us all a great oppertunity to see them more often we all should be greatful of that. Not continue to complain about how they do things.
    Sounds like you ONLY read the title of the thread. I wasn't complaining, and I wasn't serious about getting rid of seniority or the 1-2, 9-10 random thing. Jesus, who responds to a thread but doesn't read the post?
  • Options
    Its sorta like a season ticket system. You don't just decide today that you want season tickets to your favorite sports team and they look and say OH MY today is the day that (enter your name here) has decided to join our fan base screw the people that have been paying us for years. Now that they are here they deserve the best seats in the house. Get real I think its pretty cool that they offer us a chance to get tickets before the public does. I am so tired of people complaining about it. Say you are a Green Bay Packers fan I think there is like a 30 or 40 year waiting list to get season tickets. Hell I live in Detroit where the LIONS are a joke and there is like a 3-5 year wait to get season tickets for them and they are the biggest joke in the NFL. I think the 10c was very gracious in allowing a random system for rows 1-2 and 9-10. You said you just joined it last year I have been in it since 1993. Back in the day your fan club membership only gave you 2 tickets for one show or 1 ticket for 2 different shows. They have given us all a great oppertunity to see them more often we all should be greatful of that. Not continue to complain about how they do things.

What the fuck are you talking about? This thread is not about complaining about 10 club.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Yes, I agree that there is not much difference between seeing U2 live and seeing U2 at the movie theater ;).

I can tell you from personal experience that seeing PJ in a movie theater (Immagine in Cornice) was nearly unbearable for me... I could not sit still and keep quiet :D

Happy birthday!
    Thanks!

I couldn't sit still either....and I wanted to clap and cheer after each song.
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    I saw the U2 3D, Im not a huge fan but I enjoyed it, I would enjoy a PJ 3D more.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    DixieNDixieN Posts: 351
    i highly recommend everybody check out shine a light - the rolling stones film done by martin scorsese.
    I saw it last week, and it is amazing.
    It will be even better with the sydney premiere at the IMAX!!!

I liked that I didn't have to pay $380 to go see it. :)
  • Options
    teskeinc wrote:
    I saw the U2 3D, Im not a huge fan but I enjoyed it, I would enjoy a PJ 3D more.
    Exactly. And I'm not here pushing U2 3D on anyone. I'm just suggesting that PJ do the same because it was incredible and would be even better with PJ.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    U2 3D was pretty cool.
    U2 is awesome
    Seeing U2 live, no matter where your seats are, is better than U2 3D.

IMO
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I like U2 and would go to see them on IMAX given a chance, but there is no way that a movie will ever top a concert experience...except that movies are still cheaper.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff