Options

Why are posters and vinyl so coveted?

stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
edited January 2008 in The Porch
First of all, I'm just asking, I'm not putting down the people who want these so bad...I'm generally curious.

Why is everyone so into posters and vinyl (or at least why is the monetary value so obscene...I know, supply/demand will be the answer probably...but why the demand?)

I understand wanting a poster for a show you were at, or maybe one of your favorite bootlegs. Why the desire for other posters...Is it the coolness of the artwork, loyalty to the artist, or just to say you have something rare?

Also for vinyl, what's the appeal...especially all the posts I've seen of "Still in wrapper". What's the point of music if it's not being listened to? Do any of the owners have a record player. Has "Spin the Black Circle" put a spell over everyone?
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    posters - limited prints, some signed

vinyl - limited, in plastic cuz they want to make a fortune on ebay or no turntable....

:)
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Also for vinyl, what's the appeal...especially all the posts I've seen of "Still in wrapper". What's the point of music if it's not being listened to? Do any of the owners have a record player. Has "Spin the Black Circle" put a spell over everyone?
    Vinyl sounds better (especially with headphones). I like them better than CDs because it stresses listening to great albums rather than just great songs. CDs, you can skip around so that kinda kills that concept which is why I'm selective with my vinyl. I guess they are of collectors value to those who keep them wrapped up, which I get.

I have a Benaroya still wrapped, but that's because I'm afraid some Final Destination shit will happen once I do open it and it'll get scuffed or broken :o
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I like them better than CDs because it stresses listening to great albums rather than just great songs.

Been a while since I've used a record player, but can't you just as easily lift the needle and put it to the next track? (IIRC you can visually see the lines where the next song begins, or is this not the case.....I think Michael Jackson "Bad" was the last record I had, lol)
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Been a while since I've used a record player, but can't you just as easily lift the needle and put it to the next track? (IIRC you can visually see the lines where the next song begins, or is this not the case.....I think Michael Jackson "Bad" was the last record I had, lol)
    You can, but it still requires more work than pushing a button.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    It is good to have a hobby, some have drinking, hookers, or maybe even drugs.

I gave up most of the drugs, but hobbies are fun!!
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Yeah I guess you can. But that's more work than I want to do haha.... Plus I've always loved the "intermission" where you have to flip the record. Completely different feel than playing it all the way through.

EDIT: Yeah what keeponrockin said :cool:
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    First of all, I'm just asking, I'm not putting down the people who want these so bad...I'm generally curious.

Why is everyone so into posters and vinyl (or at least why is the monetary value so obscene...I know, supply/demand will be the answer probably...but why the demand?)

I understand wanting a poster for a show you were at, or maybe one of your favorite bootlegs. Why the desire for other posters...Is it the coolness of the artwork, loyalty to the artist, or just to say you have something rare?

For me, the posters besides just a cool memory of the show, are art. I love all kinds of art, but mostly rock posters and wildlife. I just love looking at them and really appreciate the work. As for the vinyl, it's almost a retro thing for me as I'm really old. We got rid of most of our old lp's and now kind of regret it as they do sound better. Yes, they are a hassle, but it's fun to collect just a few of our favorite band. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    They fulfill a basic need in humans to hunt and gather. And given (a) the fact that man no longer hunts and gathers food, shelter, etc. and (b) Westerners have an unreal amount of resources--we (i.e., many people who frequent this board) hunt and gather pearl jam merchandise. Given these realities and also the fact that these items are cool looking, limited edition, sound better than CDs, etc. makes collecting them almost a sport for those involved. Like any sport, there are varying degrees of intesity displayed by the players. That's my $.02.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    They fulfill a basic need in humans to hunt and gather. And given (a) the fact that man no longer hunts and gathers food, shelter, etc. and (b) Westerners have an unreal amount of resources--we (i.e., many people who frequent this board) hunt and gather pearl jam merchandise. Given these realities and also the fact that these items are cool looking, limited edition, sound better than CDs, etc. makes collecting them almost a sport for those involved. Like any sport, there are varying degrees of intesity displayed by the players. That's my $.02.

Daaaaaaamn, Smarter_than_u got all metaphysical and $hit. :D
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
    -The Duke
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936

You might be the smartest person in DC!!!
    I think you hit it on the head.
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options

Yeah, that is a very good answer.
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i think the posters need to be framed and the vinyls need to be taken out of the shrinkwrap and PLAYED!!
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    i've never understood the hype for posters. Sure some are cool and all but i dont own one and i'm cool with that.

I guess everyone has hobbies and likes to collect things though so each their own :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    There's a difference between having a 'hobby' and being a 'collector' of something.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • Options
    Because they are great converstation piece and the work Klausen does is truly great, Ames not so much
    Hey brother.
  • Options
    MineMine Posts: 556
    Spin the black circle. Vinyl is great, i love the sound, i love the fact that is big. I hope they come back in the goods section.
    I knew who I was before other people started telling me who I was. J.Joplin
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    I also have never understood the fascination with posters or vinyl. But, who am I to judge what other people like?

Well, I can maybe understand the vinyl for those that actually listen to them, even though it seems that CDs are easier and less hassle.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    I love rock posters of all kinds, not just PJ.

I also collect Widespread Panic, Black Crowes, Grateful Dead, any posters from the Fillmore in S.F., and local shows that I attend.

I enjoy the art, the history of the venues, and the quality of that particular tour.

It's a hobby that I enjoy.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    thanks for the positive feedback! another basic human need is to be complimented --so thanks for helping fulfill that =)
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    Born2Jam wrote:
    There's a difference between having a 'hobby' and being a 'collector' of something.

the hobby is the act of collecting.

Throwing big money just to buy a rare vinyl off ebay is "collecting"... spending a saturday afternoon going from record store to record store to find something cool is a hobby.
  • Options
    Born2Jam wrote:

What if your hobby is being a collector?
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118

As for posters - I only like getting the ones from the shows I attended. I have never had that poster collecting bug.

Vinyl records are a different subject for me all together - Personally I do play all of my vinyl records - I have a working turntable. I do like purchasing brand new (still sealed) records only for the fact of knowing that I was the first to play it. I own all Pearl Jam studio LP's, a couple live LP's (Benaroya and LOTL), and a couple compilation LP's (LD & RVM) and all of them have had at least a couple spins on the turntable.

Not to mention all the other artists I own on vinyl that I also play: The Beatles; Srgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, Revolver. Led Zeppelin; II, III, IV, Physical Graffiti, In Through the Out Door, Houses of the Holy. Violent Femmes; self titled. AC/DC; If You Want Blood You Got It, Highway To Hell. Sublime; just about every record and EP released. Soundgarden; Loud Love, Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, Down on the Upside. Audioslave; Cochise. Traveling Wilburys; Volume 1. Van Halen; I, II, Woman and Children First, Diver Down, Fair Warning, 1984. Huey Lewis; Sport. And I am sure more that I just can't think of sitting here at work.
  • Options

I see all your points and personally agree with them. But.. its kind of like asking why a coin collector collects coins. If you dont collect coins then you are going to think its pretty retarded. It has no apeal and seems a waste of time, money, and is boring. To each his own.
  • Options
    Well, I can maybe understand the vinyl for those that actually listen to them, even though it seems that CDs are easier and less hassle.
    CD's are definitely easier and more convenient. But, for me its the throw back to my childhood (I grew up on vinyl records). So, every once in a while I like to spark up a doobie and spin some vinyl.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Vinyl records are a different subject for me all together - Personally I do play all of my vinyl records - I have a working turntable.

Vinyl Records - Todd Snider

I've got a dusty old pile of vinyl records sittin' on my floor
    I've played each one of 'em over and over a dozen times or more
    All I've got is a beat up chair a mattress a fork and another to spare
    And that dusty old pile of records on my floor

I got Willie, Waylon and Woody Guthrie
    Jimmy Buffett, Lyle Lovett and Bobby Gentry
    Jerry Jeff, Bob Dylan, Donnie Fritts,
    The Dead, The Doors, Patsy Cline, John Prine and more
    I got Jackson Browne, Townes Van Zandt, Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Harry Chapin, Guy Clark and Van Halen
    I got Rita, Kris, Keith Sykes and Country Joe when he was singin' with the Fish you know
    I got Emmylou, U2 and Arlo, James Taylor, Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, Mojo Nixon,
    Hendrix, Haggard and a whole lot more
    In that dusty old pile of vinyl records I got sittin' on my floor

One time in San Francisco
    I was standin' in an airport line
    In one bag I had all my clothes and in the other was all them ol' records of mine
    The lady said I could only bring one bag
    I had two, Oh what a drag
    I had to jump on the plane and leave all my clothes behind

But I got Willie, Waylon and Woody Guthrie
    Jimmy Buffett, Lyle Lovett and Bobby Gentry
    Jerry Jeff, Bob Dylan, Donnie Fritts,
    The Dead, The Doors, Patsy Cline, John Prine and more
    I got Jackson Browne, Townes Van Zandt, Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Harry Chapin, Guy Clark and Van Halen
    I got Rita, Kris, Keith Sykes and Country Joe when he was singin' with the Fish you know
    I got Emmylou, U2 and Arlo, James Taylor, Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, Mojo Nixon,
    Hendrix, Haggard and a whole lot more
    I got all of Booker T's, Tom T. Hall's,
    Bobby Bare, Belafonte and the New York Dolls,
    Billy Joe, Jimmy Croce, Kiss, Crosby Stills and Nash,
    John, June and Roseanne Cash
    I got Forbert, Fromholtz, Stevie Ray,
    T-Birds, Yardbirds, Sam and Dave,
    And as some of y'all mighta guessed already
    I got piles and piles and piles of Tom Petty
    In that dusty old pile of vinyl records I got sittin' on my floor
  • Options
    Plus, I think Pearl Jam has had a great influence on a lot of us to start collecting their material on vinyl with them releasing a Christmas single every year (except 1994) on vinyl to the 10C members.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Plus, I think Pearl Jam has had a great influence on a lot of us to start collecting their material on vinyl with them releasing a Christmas single every year (except 1994) on vinyl to the 10C members.
    excellent point....I think that could have been a big influence on a lot of people
  • Options
    excellent point....I think that could have been a big influence on a lot of people
    It certainly helped me re-discover the music format of my youth. :)
  • Options
    Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    Throwing big money just to buy a rare vinyl off ebay is "collecting"... spending a saturday afternoon going from record store to record store to find something cool is a hobby.

With records, I can see your point.
    My comment was really more directed at poster collecting.

Sitting behind the computer, salivating whilst waiting for another poster to be thrown up for sale is not a hobby.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    i have a lot of 'art' on the walls of my house, and while i used to have rock posters on my wall when i was younger, they would look kinda tacky now.

but i have framed pj posters here and there and they don't look tacky - they look cool and it's nice to have visual reminders of my favourite band around the place. they're very stylee, great graphic art and they make me smile.

that said, i'm not a mad keen poster collector - in fact i haven't bought a poster since 1996! but i'm real happy with the ones i've got, and being a 'collector' of other things i understand the bug.

i also have a bunch of pj vinyl, but that's coz i love pj, i love vinyl, i play it...the irony is that i managed to buy vinyl exclusively until ten came out, pearl jam forced me to buy my first cd!

i don't think there's only one answer to that question. but i think collecting posters and vinyl is another way to 'connect' with the band - especially when you haven't seen 'em play live for ages! (grrr)
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats