Options

No Code

The Long RoadThe Long Road Posts: 183
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Still my favorite album so far. I think Jack Irons' complimentary drumming had a lot to do with it. No disrespect to Matt (because i think he's phenomenal), but I just think JI was a much better fit for PJ. When Binaural first came out, I said Uh-Oh....Matt's influence has taken over Pearl Jam...and it's not a good thing. Thankfully, everything since Binaural has been great. I just wish they could go back to the No Code/Yield days. Any thoughts?
"All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    numero uno.

underrated at first, but i've come to see that is in fact, genius.
    thank goodness who you are is back on stage!
    now if we can just get mankind & smile as a live stables....
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    falconfalcon Posts: 163
    Still my favorite album so far. I think Jack Irons' complimentary drumming had a lot to do with it. No disrespect to Matt (because i think he's phenomenal), but I just think JI was a much better fit for PJ. When Binaural first came out, I said Uh-Oh....Matt's influence has taken over Pearl Jam...and it's not a good thing. Thankfully, everything since Binaural has been great. I just wish they could go back top the No Code/Yield days. Any thoughts?

Yes and no. Irons is my favorite PJ drummer, probably because No Code is my favorite album, and his work was phenominal.
    Lately, I've been getting really into Binaural and think it's one of their best albums.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    I think of Binaural above No Code, not because of the drumming, mostly because of Mikes guitar playing. Some songs he just takes it to another level, not that No Code wasnt another level either, Binaural just perfectly fits my desired sound.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    Still my favorite album so far. I think Jack Irons' complimentary drumming had a lot to do with it. No disrespect to Matt (because i think he's phenomenal), but I just think JI was a much better fit for PJ. When Binaural first came out, I said Uh-Oh....Matt's influence has taken over Pearl Jam...and it's not a good thing. Thankfully, everything since Binaural has been great. I just wish they could go back top the No Code/Yield days. Any thoughts?
    A compliment for us is a compliment for you...
    Complementary? (sorry)

As for your question, I just take what I can get. I do really like No Code though...
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    No Code is so underrated it's not even funny. What a great album.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    Means a lot to me. First year at college... but I got a job working for a football team and we had summer camp in this small town... nothing to do, no car, and 1 tv in a common area. Bought No Code and spent a lot of time listening to it.
    Still means a lot to me.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 565
    i really have to agree that as much as i love matt, i think that jacks drumming on this album is probably better than that on any other album. this album is so underrated but i love how it is appreciated by so many fans because it really is great.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Easily the best album IMO.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    taken over PJ? if anything i think hes taken a very passive role in the band when you compare his PJ stuff with what he did in SG... unfortunately so... hes more than capable of the groovy, odd time signatures and stuff that we love jack for... it just seems matt came into the band with such a great deal of respect that he takes a backseat as a writer and as an influence in their sound out of respect for the relationship the rest of the boys have... or maybe he just isnt mixed loud enough... i dunno... it just seems something is missing with matt and it sure as hell isnt talent

yield is my personal favorite but i cant really say its because of jack... my guess is he had a really positive impact on the writing process of that though... but as we all know matt has much better live endurance which is important for us to enjoy our 3 hour shows :D

i hate to add to the jack vs. matt debate but thats my .02
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    taken over PJ? if anything i think hes taken a very passive role in the band when you compare his PJ stuff with what he did in SG... unfortunately so... hes more than capable of the groovy, odd time signatures and stuff that we love jack for... it just seems matt came into the band with such a great deal of respect that he takes a backseat as a writer and as an influence in their sound out of respect for the relationship the rest of the boys have... or maybe he just isnt mixed loud enough... i dunno... it just seems something is missing with matt and it sure as hell isnt talent

yield is my personal favorite but i cant really say its because of jack... my guess is he had a really positive impact on the writing process of that though... but as we all know matt has much better live endurance which is important for us to enjoy our 3 hour shows :D

i hate to add to the jack vs. matt debate but thats my .02

Brendan O'Brien?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051

Sharp post!!!

I want more No Code....!!!
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    Brendan O'Brien?
    oooooOOOOooooo! we shall see! :D

im seriously pumped to hear what he does though! like i said i seriously think it might be something in the studio mix... no one captures PJ like brendan... matt sounded good on the "love reign o'er me" studio version... but i cant really say for sure since its a cover

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

im seriously pumped to hear what he does though! like i said i seriously think it might be something in the studio mix... no one captures PJ like brendan... matt sounded good on the "love reign o'er me" studio version... but i cant really say for sure since its a cover

I think the next album will be sick. So sick that I don't even care if the play the West coast this fall :) just get the record done.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    no code by far is my favorite

Really.... c'mon.............

In my tree
    Red mosquito
    Off he goes
    Sometimes
    Smile
    Who you Are
    Hail Hail
    Around the Bend
    Present tense
    Habit
    Lukin
    Shiiiit even Mankind is sweet and off sets the rest
    I'm opeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

:D It really is a sign that we're far too obsessed when we get this excited over a producer coming back. But I seriously can't wait! :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    I think the next album will be sick. So sick that I don't even care if the play the West coast this fall :) just get the record done.
    god im excited too! and bush is almost out of office so it hopefully wont be overly political... just fuckin legit rock im hoping! something more vitalogy-esque... but more refined

i even have mixed feelings about the EV solo tour... and im pumped for that too... but it means another month out of the studio... hopefully the rest of the band meets up and gets some stuff done without ed

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    god im excited too! and bush is almost out of office so it hopefully wont be overly political... just fuckin legit rock im hoping! something more vitalogy-esque... but more refined

i even have mixed feelings about the EV solo tour... and im pumped for that too... but it means another month out of the studio... hopefully the rest of the band meets up and gets some stuff done without ed

I hoping after next weekend. Jeff and Stone can jam at the Green River show, then head into the studio right afterwards :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    My favorite PJ album hands down. LOVE IT.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    :D It really is a sign that we're far too obsessed when we get this excited over a producer coming back. But I seriously can't wait! :p
    he's not just a producer, he's the 6th member of the band! (sorry boom)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    i_am_minei_am_mine Posts: 53
    no code is a really cool album. it has some of the best song writing i think with songs like off he goes, present tense and im open(the whole thing really). hail hail is such a rocker and im sure im not alone with liking the "bandaged hand in hand" line...i would say smile is my favorite from the record(i love the harmonica.. and i'm a sucker for it whenever its in songs especially with pj). the live version from honolulu is so awesome and i find myself always coming back to it... awesome stuff!!!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    Still my favorite album so far. I think Jack Irons' complimentary drumming had a lot to do with it. No disrespect to Matt (because i think he's phenomenal), but I just think JI was a much better fit for PJ. When Binaural first came out, I said Uh-Oh....Matt's influence has taken over Pearl Jam...and it's not a good thing. Thankfully, everything since Binaural has been great. I just wish they could go back to the No Code/Yield days. Any thoughts?

i agree totally!!!!!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,117
    No Code is on a whole other level for me. A band recording at their most ragged point. Who knew if they would even stay together after everything. Drugs, Ticketmaster, the avoiding of media, etc....

It's in the same realm of why I love Led Zeppelin's "Presence".
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Love No Code. Ever since I first put the needle to the groove. There's just something magical about that record.:)
  • Options
    Milestone wrote:
    No Code is on a whole other level for me. A band recording at their most ragged point. Who knew if they would even stay together after everything. Drugs, Ticketmaster, the avoiding of media, etc....

It's in the same realm of why I love Led Zeppelin's "Presence".

I would more compare it to Led Zeppelin 3....my fav Zep album.
  • Options
    inmytree29inmytree29 Posts: 77
    Stop light, plays its part
    So I would say you've got a part
    What's your part? Who you are
    You are who, who you are

That gives me chills
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

6/13/99 ;6/18/03 ;6/21/03 ;10/02/04 ;10/03/04; 9/12/05 ;5/16/06 ;5/17/06 ;5/19/06 ;5/20/06; 6/24/06 ;6/30/06; 8/21/08; 8/22/08
  • Options
    JackieboyJackieboy Posts: 78
    My favorite album as well. In my tree is probably one the Pearl Jam-songs I like most. Red Mosquito and Present Tense are also very strong.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    It's funny, No Code and Yield are probably my top PJ albums, but I actually like Matt more than Jack Irons (who's also amazing, don't get me wrong). I think I just like how Matt plays those songs live more than Jack Irons does.

Still phenomenal albums, but Binaural is also incredible.
  • Options
    NothingSoundNothingSound Posts: 198
    It was so different when it came out, I overlooked it but as I've grown up, I've learned to love it. I think it's the most diverse of their albums. A lot of people didn't like this one and now it's the first cd I praise to people when they ask me about PJ.

There's about 3 weeks every year where I listen to No Code at least once a day. I just get in this groove with it and have to hear it.
  • Options
    _outlaw wrote:
    It's funny, No Code and Yield are probably my top PJ albums, but I actually like Matt more than Jack Irons (who's also amazing, don't get me wrong). I think I just like how Matt plays those songs live more than Jack Irons does.

Still phenomenal albums, but Binaural is also incredible.

I agree. Matt is a lot better than JI in concert. But you have to ask yourself this question: What would No Code and Yield have sounded like if Matt was the drummer during those years and Matt had say on how the songs turned out drum wise and other wise?