Options

Of Grunge and Government

Jeremy2009Jeremy2009 Posts: 53
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Hey, anyone read the book "Of Grunge and Government, Lets fix this broken democracy!" By Krist Novoselic? I just got done a few days ago. He makes some very good points, but I thought he was being a little hypocritical in what he used to "represent" in his band then now as someone who is much older. Any thoughts?
Support the Troops
Go Cubs!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    i have hated kris since he broke up eyes adrift. their album really kicked some ass but becuase not every date on their US tour was a sell-out he cried and gave up.
  • Options
    darkcrow wrote:
    i have hated kris since he broke up eyes adrift. their album really kicked some ass but becuase not every date on their US tour was a sell-out he cried and gave up.

Better that someone give up and still be alive rather than another dead rockstar icon. I was only 9 years old when Kurt died and didnt know who Nirvana was but anyone to commit suicide is an asshole not a myrter. He is doing so much as far as getting out there and expressing how much it means to vote regardless of what side your on.
    Support the Troops
    Go Cubs!
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    I take it you're not a Nirvana fan, Jeremy.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    I take it you're not a Nirvana fan, Jeremy.

How do you mean?
    Support the Troops
    Go Cubs!
  • Options
    Jeremy2009 wrote:
    How do you mean?

I mean that you think the fact that Kurt Cobain committed suicide is what makes him an asshole. But, his music came straight from his heart, from what I understand. So, it was that same heart that drove him to commit suicide. Therefore, unless you enjoy listening to the expressive art of an asshole, I think it's safe to say that you probably don't like his music. I guess it's possible that you probably only enjoy the melody. But, those lyrics are a reflection of a mindset that is quite capable of committing suicide. I don't know about you, but I don't particularly enjoy listening to "assholish" ramblings, which is how you probably perceive Kurt Cobain's lyrics as being if you truly believe that he is an asshole.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    I mean that you think the fact that Kurt Cobain committed suicide is what makes him an asshole. But, his music came straight from his heart, from what I understand. So, it was that same heart that drove him to commit suicide. Therefore, unless you enjoy listening to the expressive art of an asshole, I think it's safe to say that you probably don't like his music. I guess it's possible that you probably only enjoy the melody. But, those lyrics are a reflection of a mindset that is quite capable of committing suicide. I don't know about you, but I don't particularly enjoy listening to "assholish" ramblings, which is how you probably perceive Kurt Cobain's lyrics as being if you truly believe that he is an asshole.

I completely dont agree with that at all. I do like Nirvana, I like their music. I think you've lost the intent of this thread. It wasnt to discuss the mental health of the band members. It was what you thought of the book in regards to the politics that Krist Novoselc is talking about. Have you even read the book? Or are you just like most and associate everything with Kurt Cobain Suicides as being a myrter. It sounds like your just trying to pick a fight.
    Support the Troops
    Go Cubs!
  • Options
    Jeremy2009 wrote:
    I completely dont agree with that at all. I do like Nirvana, I like their music. I think you've lost the intent of this thread. It wasnt to discuss the mental health of the band members. It was what you thought of the book in regards to the politics that Krist Novoselc is talking about. Have you even read the book? Or are you just like most and associate everything with Kurt Cobain Suicides as being a myrter. It sounds like your just trying to pick a fight.

If a person is going to call someone an asshole, I think that person should have a valid reason as to why. I only wanted to know what your valid reason was. It doesn't seem like you have one, so I'm movin' on now.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    If a person is going to call someone an asshole, I think that person should have a valid reason as to why. I only wanted to know what your valid reason was. It doesn't seem like you have one, so I'm movin' on now.

Okay then I'll humor you, he killed himself and left a wife and daughter alone. I dont want you to go on some rant on how their marriage was faulty or whatever. It's for the simple fact that someone who got married had a child and just left. Yes he was an asshole for doing that.
    Support the Troops
    Go Cubs!