Options

The Disappearing Bees

Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
edited May 2007 in A Moving Train
Anyone been reading up on this? Bill Mahr and Howard Stern have both commented on this. It seems the bee population is rapidly decreasing. They’re blaming pesticides, disease, the transporting of bee’s and cell phones.

I really hope the main problem is cell phones. It would be cool if they had to outlaw them.
Be excellent to each other
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yes i saw this on the news and in the newspaper... scary !
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Dustin51 wrote:
    I really hope the main problem is cell phones. It would be cool if they had to outlaw them.
    Hopefully iPods too. lol.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    I was shocked to hear about how much of our food is tied to honeybee polination (90% according to one article I read). Crazy stuff...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    This is an issue that needs to be taken seriously....if there are no bees....what will happen to specific food supplies that are related to the bee's role in pollination?

This issue really worries me and I am afraid not enough people realize the impact that this could have if all were to disappear.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Dustin51 wrote:

No it wouldn't.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    This is an issue that needs to be taken seriously....if there are no bees....what will happen to specific food supplies that are related to the bee's role in pollination?

This issue really worries me and I am afraid not enough people realize the impact that this could have if all were to disappear.

I agree. I'm surprised this isnt the biggest story in the media right now. It's like hey, millions of people might starve...Ah no big deal. Whats up with Larry Burkehead??
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Dustin51 wrote:
    I agree. I'm surprised this isnt the biggest story in the media right now. It's like hey, millions of people might starve...Ah no big deal. Whats up with Larry Burkehead??

Millions of people are already starving, children are being forced to kill family members and others, millions live in extreme poverty, there are millions of people who do not have access to drinking water...

No one cares.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Millions of people are already starving, children are being forced to kill family members and others, millions live in extreme poverty, there are millions of people who do not have access to drinking water...

No one cares.

I agree with what you have said, the main difference why people should care is that this is happening here in North America.

It is sad and unfortunate that poverty/starvation around the world is generally ignored by the mainstream populace but that would suddenly change if the worst case scenerio does indeed occur.

Sometimes I realize just how lucky I am to have "won" the chance to live where I do, I think a great many of us who live in "western" civilization have no clue on what survival really is. In a worst case doomsday scenerio I do believe that western society would be totally inept in co-operating, not saying that many wouldn't there obviously would be many that would co-operate, just saying we live in a generation of individuality and shelfishness.

It would be chaotic and sadly in my honest opinion that is when we would realize what survival really meant, actually face reality for once in our lives because I believe millions of us are oblivious to the thought of a world without MacDonalds, The Gap, etc. These are the people I worry about and would actually be cautious of, those that have no glimpse of reality outside their sheltered and pampered western civiliation "world".
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Looks like dinner will be pretty bland soon enough.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/05/03/honeybees.dying.ap/index.html
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Looks like dinner will be pretty bland soon enough.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/05/03/honeybees.dying.ap/index.html

Time to invest in Quaker Oats.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    The price of South African honey may rise as an indirect result of the catastrophic death of millions of honey bees in the United States over the past six months.

Local bee-keepers were commenting on Wednesday on reports that major honey-producing nations were diverting exports to the US after the outbreak of Colony Collapse Disorder, which had devastated nearly a quarter of American commercial bee colonies.

Some North American beekeepers have lost between 50 percent and 90 percent of their hives in the mysterious spate of honey-bee deaths, which began in November 2006.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?from=rss_South%20Africa&set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20070503032156365C379085
  • Options
    I agree with what you have said, the main difference why people should care is that this is happening here in North America.

It is sad and unfortunate that poverty/starvation around the world is generally ignored by the mainstream populace but that would suddenly change if the worst case scenerio does indeed occur.

I'm not surprised. That's what I was trying to say...

Most of us in the Western world, and it's quite sad that I have to use most and not all, are aware of the problems in the less developed countries yet very few actually care. Even closer to home, there are people on the streets, living on the streets, begging for some money, for something to eat... People walk by, toss a quarter at their feet and walk on ...

This is today's mentality, so no, I can't say I'm surprised ... We are raised and trained to be apathetic.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    I'm not surprised. That's what I was trying to say...

Most of us in the Western world, and it's quite sad that I have to use most and not all[/], are aware of the problems in the less developed countries yet very few actually care. Even closer to home, there are people on the streets, living on the streets, begging for some money, for something to eat... People walk by, toss a quarter at their feet and walk on ...

This is today's mentality, so no, I can't say I'm surprised ... We are raised and trained to be apathetic.

That is why something of a large disaster that would severe the meaning of western civiliation freaks me out so much is those that are totally out of touch with reality would go crazy.

I know so many people that almost have nervous breakdowns because they lose their cell phones...imagine losing your house/access to clean water/food/security.....some people need to realize that what we have here in the west is way above average and not normal....yes we are raised to be that way but in no means do we need to be that way.....
  • Options
    That is why something of a large disaster that would severe the meaning of western civiliation freaks me out so much is those that are totally out of touch with reality would go crazy.

I know so many people that almost have nervous breakdowns because they lose their cell phones...imagine losing your house/access to clean water/food/security.....some people need to realize that what we have here in the west is way above average and not normal....yes we are raised to be that way but in no means do we need to be that way.....

Great post.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    This really is a freaky story and I am anxious to see how it plays out.

I was relieved when a bee flew out in front of me the other day, but then half a second went by and I was like "Ah fuck! I hate bees!" and quickly ran away in a girlish manner. :D
  • Options
    THE END IS NEAR. no doubt about it, polar bears drowning, ice cap melting, sea is rising, the weather patterns are all screwed up and now the food supply is in jeopardy along with everything else. I DOUBT THERE IS ANYTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT NOW. GREEDY MAN HAS PILLAGED THE EARTH WAY TOO LONG...IT'S OVER NOW.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    THE END IS NEAR. no doubt about it, polar bears drowning, ice cap melting, sea is rising, the weather patterns are all screwed up and now the food supply is in jeopardy along with everything else. I DOUBT THERE IS ANYTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT NOW. GREEDY MAN HAS PILLAGED THE EARTH WAY TOO LONG...IT'S OVER NOW.

Not yet, you still have 4 and a half years. Enjoy them.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

Yes, there is something we can do about it now. Granted, I agree with you that our own actions are to blame for our civilization's eventual demise, but to throw our arms up in the air and say, "there's nothing we can do", is pure copout.

Acting smarter, taking care of what we have instead of taking it all for granted, planting trees, etc. DOES contribute to a better planet. Giving up now is as stupid as thinking that we didn't cause the problems in the first place.
  • Options

PJ needs to tour again soon. I dont want to die without seeing them one last time.
  • Options

LOL. Funny you should have sky in your user name. I immediately heard Chicken Little yelling "the sky is falling" when I read your post.
  • Options
    THCTHC Posts: 525
    DeLukin wrote:
    I was shocked to hear about how much of our food is tied to honeybee polination (90% according to one article I read). Crazy stuff...

Yes...that is what is scary about this phenomenon. Its not just a silly story. this could have major impacts!!
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    jeffbr wrote:
    LOL. Funny you should have sky in your user name. I immediately heard Chicken Little yelling "the sky is falling" when I read your post.

So glib. Ranier is gonna blow for glibness like this.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    So glib. Ranier is gonna blow for glibness like this.

I know. A lahar would really ruin my day.
  • Options
    nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    I read about this. The article I read quoted Albert Einstein saying if bees go extinct, humans will follow within 4 years.

I talked to a beekeeper last night who owns about 800 hives....he said his bees are ok. The concensous is weather and mites have led to the dissapearance of bees.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    nick1977 wrote:
    I read about this. The article I read quoted Albert Einstein saying if bees go extinct, humans will follow within 4 years.

I was reading that said quote may be a myth. nevertheless bees disappearing is a very bad sign of things.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    I was reading that said quote may be a myth

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/einstein/bees.asp

Einstein didn’t really study bees but he’s right. Botanists have been trying to artificially pollinate plants for years. We could do it, but everyone in the world would have to stop what they were doing and hand pollinate everything. If we did manage to survive it would send us back to the stone age and cost us most of our resources.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    Dustin51 wrote:
    Anyone been reading up on this? Bill Mahr and Howard Stern have both commented on this. It seems the bee population is rapidly decreasing. They’re blaming pesticides, disease, the transporting of bee’s and cell phones.

in the greenhouse; i have to go from flower to flower with a small paintbrush to make sure they pollinate. imagine having to do that on a large scale.
  • Options
    in the greenhouse; i have to go from flower to flower with a small paintbrush to make sure they pollinate. imagine having to do that on a large scale.

It would be impossible. In our attempt to fix this issue we would surely fuck something else up.
  • Options
    Bee rapture makes just as much sense as cell phones...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003694330_beerapture05.html

Mystery spurs bizarre theories, stinging rebuttals
    By The Associated Press

JUDI BOTTONI / AP

Magnetic fields, cellphones and even rapture have been blamed for lost honeybees.

BELTSVILLE, Md. — The answer to what happened to the nation's vanishing honeybees is simple, a caller told entomologist May Berenbaum: bee rapture. They were called to heaven.

No, wait, it's Earth's magnetic field, another caller told the University of Illinois professor.

When Berenbaum went on the Internet, she found a parody news site that quoted her as blaming rapper Kevin Federline and his concerts for the disappearance of the bees. Berenbaum loved it.

The sudden disappearance of one-quarter of the nation's honeybees has brought out some strange ideas.

"I just can't get any work done," Berenbaum said. "I'm overwhelmed by e-mails. I can't keep up."

A couple of bee myths are big on the Internet.

A small German study looking at a specific type of cordless phone and homing systems of bees exploded over the Internet and late-night television shows. It morphed into erroneous reports blaming cellphones for the honeybee die-off, which scientists are calling colony-collapse disorder, or CCD.

The scientist who wrote the paper, Stefan Kimmel, emphasized there is "no link between our tiny little study and the CCD-phenomenon ... anything else said or written is a lie."

Jeff Pettis, top bee researcher for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, laughs at the idea. He said whenever he goes out to investigate dead bees, he cannot get a signal on his cellphone because the hives are in such remote areas.

Also on the Internet is a quote attributed to Albert Einstein on how humans would die off in four years if not for honeybees.

The quote is wrong on two counts.

First, Einstein probably never said it, according to Alice Calaprice, author of "The Quotable Einstein" and five other books on the physicist.

"I've never come across it in anything Einstein has written," she said. "It could be that someone had made it up and put Einstein's name on it."

Second, it's incorrect scientifically, Pettis said. There would be food left for humans because some food is wind-pollinated.

For his part, Pettis jokes that the bees are out creating crop circles, "and it's working them to death."