Options

Iranian Leader Bans Usage of Foreign Words

PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/w-me/2006/jul/29/072908614.html

"Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has ordered government and cultural bodies to use modified Persian words to replace foreign words that have crept into the language, such as "pizzas" which will now be known as "elastic loaves," state media reported Saturday.

The presidential decree, issued earlier this week, orders all governmental agencies, newspapers and publications to use words deemed more appropriate by the official language watchdog, the Farhangestan Zaban e Farsi, or Persian Academy, the Irna official news agency reported.

The academy has introduced more than 2,000 words as alternatives for some of the foreign words that have become commonly used in Iran, mostly from Western languages. The government is less sensitive about Arabic words, because the Quran is written in Arabic.

Among other changes, a "chat" will become a "short talk" and a "cabin" will be renamed a "small room," according to official Web site of the academy. "

Funny shit.
Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    qtegirlqtegirl Posts: 321
    Reminds me of "freedom fries" and "freedom toasts". I guess we're not as different from each other as we thought.
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    qtegirl wrote:
    Reminds me of "freedom fries" and "freedom toasts". I guess we're not as different from each other as we thought.

Beat me to it!
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    qtegirl wrote:
    If you don't think where different, then think again. Freedom Fries and Freedom toast was done more out of stupidity and wasn't forced on people from the government.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    qtegirl wrote:

No law or edict was passed attempting to force anyone to use these words, or teach others to use it. While I like your attempt at humor, you really didnt make any kind of point here. :(
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    No law or edict was passed attempting to force anyone to use these words, or teach others to use it. While I like your attempt at humor, you really didnt make any kind of point here. :(

Actually the Freedom fries thing was kinda an issue for some. If the cirsumstances were a slightly different, you can bet some nuts would be trying to pass a law to get something changed. Besides, there is really no difference at all between those two mindsets.

You see the line is so damn fine, it essentially doesn't exist my friend. You should ask yourself: "why is one man's right, another man's wrong?

Who is right?... Yourself, by default, of course. It all depends in which direction you are looking, how hard you look, and how often you look. ;)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    Actually the Freedom fries thing was kinda an issue for some. If the cirsumstances were a slightly different, you can bet some nuts would be trying to pass a law to get something changed. Besides, there is really no difference at all between those two mindsets.

You see the line is so damn fine, it essentially doesn't exist my friend. You should ask yourself: "why is one man's right, another man's wrong?

Who is right?... Yourself, by default, of course. It all depends in which direction you are looking, how hard you look, and how often you look. ;)

You hate America. Just say it. Be honest instead of sounding like a jackass.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    qtegirl wrote:
    I think your missing the point of this thread.. these words are actually outlawed.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    beemster wrote:
    If you don't think where different, then think again. Freedom Fries and Freedom toast was done more out of stupidity and wasn't forced on people from the government.

Indeed yet stupidity seems to be the requirement for being a good american.
    "Truth" (for the most part) has already been outlawed by the american government.

Let's worry about what's going on right here in america.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Elastic loaves?

Ha!
  • Options
    I wonder what they will call hotdogs ...

Cylindrical meat tubes?
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    I wonder what they will call hotdogs ...

Cylindrical meat tubes?

I'm not sure but I don't think they have hot dogs in Iran, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    I'm not sure but I don't think they have hot dogs in Iran, but I could be wrong.

They must .. Unless they've already been outlawed as a symbol of the infidel capitalist dog-swine who comprise the Western world.
  • Options
    dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    I'm sure you could find a hot dog if you looked hard enough in Iran, but it's a pork product.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    I'm sure you could find a hot dog if you looked hard enough in Iran, but it's a pork product.

All beef weiners?
    Heck, if they've got pizza ...
  • Options
    All beef weiners?
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned "if you look hard enough." Who knows? It's just rather silly. I mean, sheesh........you could get in trouble with the law for having a chat with someone and saying so verbatim?

For lack of actually knowing the new Iranian phrasing, that is some pretty unintelligent cattle feces.
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned "if you look hard enough." Who knows? It's just rather silly. I mean, sheesh........you could get in trouble with the law for having a chat with someone and saying so verbatim?

At some point during almost every day, I think "Gee, I sure am thankful that I live in a democracy ..."
    Despite all the bitching I do, that is.
  • Options
    But the fact that we're free to bitch speaks volumes in and of itself.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Seriously... who really gives a fuck what they call a fucking pizza?
    WHY is this newsworthy???
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Anytime someone limits a person's freedoms as a national edict, it deserves some attention. Specially when so many are fooled as to the mindset of today's enemy de jour.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Cosmo wrote:
    Seriously... who really gives a fuck what they call a fucking pizza?
    WHY is this newsworthy???
    Because if you go to Iran and say "pizza", you go to jail.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    remember the marge's franchise episode of the simpsons where they called falafels, crunch patties and tahini, flavour sauce.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Remember when the U.S. Govt. made it illegal to use Native American words? Or how about when they made it illegal to actually say the Names of the Native American tribes. (I can't think of the specific tribe right, sorry). Even better, what about that one time the U.S. Govt. made it illegal and punishable by death to teach an Native American to read and or write. This was done because at the time no one understood nor did they give a big fuck about the Native Americans. Now, we have mostly learned our lesson (even though you wouldn't fucking know it by the shit they teach in school)

Shit like this is stupid, ignorant, and just plain fucked up. What are you doing when you do this? You aren't gaining fucking ground. Seriously. Any nation that does this is damn dumb
  • Options
    Because if you go to Iran and say "pizza", you go to jail.
    Again... seriously... who the FUCK would WANT to go to fucking IRAN and order a goddamn pizza???
    It's fucking IRAN... and I don't think they are known for great pizza.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Again... seriously... who the FUCK would WANT to go to fucking IRAN and order a goddamn pizza???
    well, at least you get the point.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    qtegirl wrote:

While I agree that the term "freedom fries" was rather silly, I don't recall any gov't mandate enforcing their usage.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    All beef weiners?

I hear the Iranian ladies love the large black weiners
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

It would be like the North banning the word Yankee and then throwing anyone who said it into jail and the South banning redneck and throwing anyone who said it into jail. The point is not eating pizza. the point is saying you want a "goddamn pizza".
  • Options
    It would be like the North banning the word Yankee and then throwing anyone who said it into jail and the South banning redneck and throwing anyone who said it into jail. The point is not eating pizza. the point is saying you want a "goddamn pizza".
    AGAIN... SERIOUSLY... WHO the fuck cares?
    Here's your first clue:
    THEY ARE FUCKING IRAN!!! THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO ACT LIKE ASSHOLES. They have been acting like assholes since the fucking Shi'ites took over the fucking place. How can anyone be surprized that they do fucked up shit... 27 years later?
    I'm not ever going to fucking Iran to order a goddamn pizza because I KNOW they are fucked up. And who am I to change their fucked-uppedness? If they want to change their fucking government and call a pizza a pizza... that's their fucking call.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    AGAIN... SERIOUSLY... WHO the fuck cares?
    Here's your first clue:
    THEY ARE FUCKING IRAN!!! THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO ACT LIKE ASSHOLES. They have been acting like assholes since the fucking Shi'ites took over the fucking place. How can anyone be surprized that they do fucked up shit... 27 years later?
    I'm not ever going to fucking Iran to order a goddamn pizza because I KNOW they are fucked up. And who am I to change their fucked-uppedness? If they want to change their fucking government and call a pizza a pizza... that's their fucking call.

Who said we were surprised? We just thought many here thought of Iran and countries like it as "harmless". We want to educate people to exactly what kind of culture and society it is we are dealing with here. Just spreading information. If you don't care, dont post here. Re-up your meds Cosmo. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Who said we were surprised? We just thought many here thought of Iran and countries like it as "harmless". We want to educate people to exactly what kind of culture and society it is we are dealing with here. Just spreading information. If you don't care, dont post here. Re-up your meds Cosmo. ;)
    So... if you are 'educated' about Iran and how fucked up they are... how fucked they've been and how fucked up they'll always be... then, you must agree with me that this Iraq War essentially hands over Iraq to Iran, right? I mean, you must know that the 60+ percentage of Iraq's population is Shi'ia... the same Shi'ia that make up Iran... and their bretheren in Hezbolah and Islamic Jihad, etc... The same Shi'ites that brought us the likes of Ayatollah Khomeni and Muqtada al Sadr... makes up the majority of Iraq' population.
    You would know that Saddam Hussein restricted Shi'ite migration and immigration of Shi'ites from Iran into Iraq... where the holiest site in all of Shi'iadom... the Imam Ali Mosque in Najaf, Iraq resides. Shi'ites must make a pilgrimage to the Mosque at least once in their lives. This immigration policy has been dropped and the Shi'ia population will more than likely increase to 80% of Iraq's total population as more and more Iranian Shi'ites immigrate to Iraq.
    So, Iraq... with an already overwhelming Shi'ia majority, will most likely end up with a Shi'ia dominated government in Democratic elections. This falls in favor of Iran, who has wanted this for decades. A Shi'ite controlled Iraq is Ayatollah Khomeni and Iran's wet dream... and it was handed to them by the Great Satan himself... The United States.
    If you are educated about this, you would have seen the possible and probable outcome of taking out Hussein and instituting a Democratic system... in a country where people ask their religious people who to vote for... would ultimately result in a greater Iranian problem than the current one... Making this War in Iraq a bad decision in the manner in which it was executed, right? I mean, you are so educated on the complexities related to the Middle East and their cultures... how can you not agree that Bush is a fucking dumb shit for cowboying it up in Iraq and fufilling the Ayatollah Khomeni's... the 'George Washington of Fundamentalist Islam'... prophecy?
    So, it's settled... the educated PaperPlates is against the War in Iraq and thinks President Bush is a dumb shit because he failed to look deeper into his decision to go to War.
    All of you Conservatives out there may now label him as a 'Liberal'.
    Hail, Hail!!!