Options

Which night do you think is a better show? 1st or 2nd?

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited March 2008 in The Porch
I always thought the first, b/c they are fresh and ready to rock.

But the on the second, they might have a soecial guest play with them or they might want to play better then the first.

What do you think?
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    1st is always the best, but so is the second because you can chill and just enjoy the atmosphere and music... but hell ill be there both nights anyway, I'll sing my ass off both nights!
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    It's gotta be night two! The legendary Red Rocks show we all have come to love is the 2nd and the classic MSG 98 was the 2nd show as well. But then again, Gorge I '06 was better than night II. But from personal experience of the four shows I have attended (they were two double shots) Borgata 2 and ER 2 '06 were both better than their counterparts.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Gather No MossGather No Moss Omaha Posts: 339
    over_bends wrote:
    It's gotta be night two! The legendary Red Rocks show we all have come to love is the 2nd and the classic MSG 98 was the 2nd show as well. But then again, Gorge I '06 was better than night II. But from personal experience of the four shows I have attended (they were two double shots) Borgata 2 and ER 2 '06 were both better than their counterparts.

I concur..
    Buy the ticket, Take the ride..

10/20/91 (Omaha), 7/25/92 (Lolla/Denver), 3/7/94 (Denver), 6/20/95 (Red Rocks), 11/14/97 (Oakland), 6/23/98 (Denver), 10/25/00 (SD), 6/05/03 (SD), 10/8/04 (FL), 7/2/06 (Denver), 7/17/08 (VH1-Who Tribute LA), 10/6/09 (LA), 10/7/09 (LA), 9/3/11 & 9/4/11(PJ20), 12/06/13 (Seattle), 10/09/14 (Lincoln)..
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    over_bends wrote:

And San Fran 1 06 was the best so there is no real formula involved. Its all about how the band feeds off the crowd. Great crowd= great show usually. Sometimes that crowd shows up night 1, and there is no topping it the next night.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    I always felt that the second show is better. In my mind, they probably will rock harder knowing that it's the last night in that given venue. Then again, I've heard Eddie say that people tend to think that the second night's the best, but that he feels the first night is better. I think he says that on the Saratoga 2000 boot, night 1.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    You'd think N2 would bt the best, but I always find N1 is the best with PJ. At least from the shows I've been to or noticed.
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:

Borgata 1 was way way way better then Borgata 2.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Borgata 1 way way way better then Borgata 2.

Looking at your sig, perhaps because you were only in attendance for night one?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    It's been my experience that the last show in a city is usually the "best" one from the standpoint of rare songs being played or other interesting events happening.

Some personal experiences:
    Mansfield 3 in 2003: Acoustic set and final night of the "experiment"
    Boston 2 in 2006: The "Leash" was dropped for the first time in years
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I consider a crowd going ape shit, and how the band responds to that energy in their set as the criteria used to judge one show better than the other during multi night stands. Not rarities. Quite often those rarities look better on the setlist than how they were actually played.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    Looking at your sig, perhaps because you were only in attendance for night one?

LOL, yea, maybe but I have both on CD and I just really like the 1st night better.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    Definitely second.
    Drifting away..........
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    Well, being a Ben Harper fan and buying tickets for night 2 MSG 2003 to find out that morning that I missed Harper joining the band Night 1...I'd say 1st Night is the best night, but you can't regret anything if you go to both...
  • Options
    pepsigatorspepsigators St. John's, NL Posts: 182
    i just mesh both shows together like one big show
    both are going to have things about them that you like...there is no one better show
    people are always trying to compare things that can't be compared...like trying to name the best albums...its an art form take it for what it is..its not meant to be compared to anything or ranked