Options

What is with the Bat Wings on stage??

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I have been to many shows but I never knew what the deal is with them.
Anybody know?
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Ed grew up watching the old Batman tv show with Adam West.

i remember when Burt Ward's ( Robin ) book came out, Ed said while he loved reading about things that went on behind the scenes of the tv show, he didnt like that Burt put everything out in the open.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    yu didn't know?

ed is batman
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    Ed grew up watching the old Batman tv show with Adam West.

i remember when Burt Ward's ( Robin ) book came out, Ed said while he loved reading about things that went on behind the scenes of the tv show, he didnt like that Burt put everything out in the open.
    Thats it? I thought it would have a better story then that. Oh well.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    Thats it? I thought it would have a better story then that. Oh well.

sorry.

how about this! ed wore those bat wings to his audition with stone and jeff and gang, and thats what got him the job!!! :)
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    the wolf wrote:
    sorry.

how about this! ed wore those bat wings to his audition with stone and jeff and gang, and thats what got him the job!!! :)
    Much easier to believe!!!!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    cutback wrote:
    ed is batman
    Who is Robin then?
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    mattcoz wrote:
    Who is Robin then?

jeff
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    The bat wings were a gift to Ed (or to the band) from a band called The Frogs... the singer for that band is/was known for dressing up in weird costumes and those bat wings were part of an outfit he wore.

I just found this on wikipedia under the Frogs entry: "In 1996, Pearl Jam released a song called "Smile" on their No Code album. The lyrics were taken directly from a note that Dennis hid inside Eddie Vedder's notebook when he was on stage performing. The words used in the note are taken from the Frogs songs "This Is How I Feel" and "Now I Wanna Be Dead". Vedder has told the story of "Smile" several times while performing in Milwaukee. Dennis also gave Vedder a small pair of bat wings from the Frogs' early days, and Vedder has proudly displayed them behind his guitar amplifier. (The wings can seen on the front cover of Touring Band 2000.) Pearl Jam has unfortunately never performed a Frogs song, but Eddie Vedder has sung "I Only Play 4 Money", "Starboy", and "The Longing Goes Away" with The Frogs on more than one occasion."
  • Options
    mattcoz wrote:
    Who is Robin then?

stone is. with out a doubt.

jeff would be .................idk batgirl or something like that. :D
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,434
    and the frogs have covered RVM.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    On2Legs wrote:
    and the frogs have covered RVM.

immortality single

i swear the wings have been around forever. i know they were in the 94 bostom orpheum show dvd, pretty sure
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    The bat wings were a gift to Ed (or to the band) from a band called The Frogs... the singer for that band is/was known for dressing up in weird costumes and those bat wings were part of an outfit he wore.

I just found this on wikipedia under the Frogs entry: "In 1996, Pearl Jam released a song called "Smile" on their No Code album. The lyrics were taken directly from a note that Dennis hid inside Eddie Vedder's notebook when he was on stage performing. The words used in the note are taken from the Frogs songs "This Is How I Feel" and "Now I Wanna Be Dead". Vedder has told the story of "Smile" several times while performing in Milwaukee. Dennis also gave Vedder a small pair of bat wings from the Frogs' early days, and Vedder has proudly displayed them behind his guitar amplifier. (The wings can seen on the front cover of Touring Band 2000.) Pearl Jam has unfortunately never performed a Frogs song, but Eddie Vedder has sung "I Only Play 4 Money", "Starboy", and "The Longing Goes Away" with The Frogs on more than one occasion."

Very Nice, little research and we have answers!! Nice.

Can you find out if PJ will be on TV this weekend?
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    The Bat wings made their appearance again for the EV solo tour after their absence during the 2006 tour (I dont think they were there in 03 either) but does anyone remember seeing them in WPB or Tampa?

I dont remember seeing them at all... which made me wonder why would Ed have them for his show and not for the tour.... mmmmm..

Unless they were on stage and I just didnt see them?
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    immortality single

i swear the wings have been around forever. i know they were in the 94 bostom orpheum show dvd, pretty sure

they weren't around in '06.

I'm glad they're back, assuming they are. They were part of the set-up for Ed's solo tour.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    they weren't around in '06.

I'm glad they're back, assuming they are. They were part of the set-up for Ed's solo tour.

I dont think they were at either show...
  • Options
    I dont think they were at either show...

that sucks ....
  • Options
    that sucks ....

yeah... I wonder why....:confused:

I just looked at some pics I took and they are nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    yeah... I wonder why....:confused:

I just looked at some pics I took and they are nowhere in sight.

well, they didn't use them on the last tour either ... when they were resurrected for the Ed tour, I thought they'd been rediscovered. ah well.
  • Options
    well, they didn't use them on the last tour either ... when they were resurrected for the Ed tour, I thought they'd been rediscovered. ah well.

i remember ed saying that he had something on stage that represented each member if the band....i can't remember who the wings represented....jeff maybe? :)
  • Options
    YoullseeDragonsYoullseeDragons Posts: 2,118
    The bat wings represent all members of the band. You see, when the guys get finished the show they are hot and full of sweat. As a result, a part of the male body sticks to the inner thigh. When this occurs the area resembles "bat wings". So, there you go. :)
  • Options
    The bat wings represent all members of the band. You see, when the guys get finished the show they are hot and full of sweat. As a result, a part of the male body sticks to the inner thigh. When this occurs the area resembles "bat wings". So, there you go. :)
    What are you fucking greek? LOL
    Am I the only one who caught the movie line?
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    Ament had the starting lineup figures on his speakers.

now that he doesnt like the NBA, I dont know
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:

I've always loved that picture... :)