Options

My flashback to the 90's

Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
edited October 2008 in The Porch
I was just looking through a box of stuff that I got from my dads. I am realizing that a band truly can alter your life...as Pearl Jam has with mine. I ran across a planner from 94 and in it, I counted down to the release of Vitology on Vinyl on November 23, 94. Reading through the old notes that I had written during class back then to my still best friend Andrea, I noticed that there are not many that do not either quote lyrics or talk about Pearl Jam. And now, so may years later I sit looking through old notes and posters and random shit in a box in my own house and hear their great music blasting out of my speakers. They gave me a sense of belonging when my future was so uncertain and now that I am older (much older) my future remains uncertain at times and I still cling to their music that I was lucky enough to find back then. To whoever was around back then: We were lucky to come of age during such a great time in music. I am thankful.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    Yeah I'm pretty jealous of the people that grew up back when Music was good. I came up to lil john and the east side boyz. No talent ass clowns. I'm so glad that even though I was born in 1987 I still found great music.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    Funny, I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I was at my parents' going through some of my old stuff. I found my chemistry notebook from 11th grade (94-95) with the "pearl jam" sticker that came from the shrinkwrap on Vitalogy that I peeled off and stuck on there :)

I remember being in that class and talking about Pearl Jam and Soundgarden with two other people at my table everyday. You're right, that was a great time to be a teenager. Sucks for today's kids ;)
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    They say that good music will come around again..but, it seems unlikely to me right now. I made a CD for my 14 year old stepbrother a couple of days ago. It had PJ and Soundgraden and tool and other stuff on it. I said "This is the stuff you should be listening to (just dont tell your mom cause she would probably think some of it is inappropriate)" I hope he takes my advice. He already plays the guitar and skateboards..so he really needs some good music to listen to.I asked him what the kids were listening to these days a while back, and I had never heard of any of it. Why do I feel so old at 28 years old?

Things were different then.All is different now.

• Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    Corey Lynn wrote:
    They say that good music will come around again..but, it seems unlikely to me right now. I made a CD for my 14 year old stepbrother a couple of days ago. It had PJ and Soundgraden and tool and other stuff on it. I said "This is the stuff you should be listening to (just dont tell your mom cause she would probably think some of it is inappropriate)" I hope he takes my advice. He already plays the guitar and skateboards..so he really needs some good music to listen to.I asked him what the kids were listening to these days a while back, and I had never heard of any of it. Why do I feel so old at 28 years old?

Things were different then.All is different now.
    A lot of the people who work for me are 10 years or so younger than I am. They have no idea who Pearl Jam is, except for a select few of the "hits". But that's ok, I don't have a clue who the hell the bands are they listen to either :)
    I put a bunch of Pearl Jam on my son's iPod (he's 9) so I'm doing my part to save America's youth lol! He's been hearing their music since the day he was born. I have to fight his mom's influence though...she missed the boat totally back then. She listened/listens to country:eek:
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    NewDamage wrote:
    I put a bunch of Pearl Jam on my son's iPod (he's 9) so I'm doing my part to save America's youth lol! He's been hearing their music since the day he was born.

Well, I grew up with The Beatles (there was even a picture of John Lennon on my living room wall growing up) and I have everything they ever made and feel like they are a part of my DNA. Your son will be okay : )

• Options
    Corey Lynn wrote:
    I was just looking through a box of stuff that I got from my dads. I am realizing that a band truly can alter your life...as Pearl Jam has with mine. I ran across a planner from 94 and in it, I counted down to the release of Vitology on Vinyl on November 23, 94. Reading through the old notes that I had written during class back then to my still best friend Andrea, I noticed that there are not many that do not either quote lyrics or talk about Pearl Jam. And now, so may years later I sit looking through old notes and posters and random shit in a box in my own house and hear their great music blasting out of my speakers. They gave me a sense of belonging when my future was so uncertain and now that I am older (much older) my future remains uncertain at times and I still cling to their music that I was lucky enough to find back then. To whoever was around back then: We were lucky to come of age during such a great time in music. I am thankful.

couldn't have said it better...nice post
    I can get you a toe by three o'clock...