Options

If America had no enemies???

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
I wonder what America and the world would be like if the U.S had no enemies? If America's enemy wasn't communism, if it wasn't drugs - remember the Noriega saga? - if it wasn't terrorism. Could the U.S survive without having a perpetual enemy and therefore an excuse to keep it's gigantic arms trade functioning? Would it resemble the America of the early part of the 20th Century? An America which minded it's own business and was more inward looking rather than militaristic and expansionist?
Did the U.S make a Faustian pact with the devil on August 6th 1945 when it dropped an atomic bomb on Japan?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MeatwagonMeatwagon Posts: 108
    It's human nature to want to point the fingure at someone else. Some people give in and others recognize it and try to take another path. What do ya do??
    Axis of justice.com
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    If Islam had no enemies.............

If Christians had no enemies...........

If Israel had no enemies.....................

If Iran had no enemies............................

If the UK had no enemies............................

If Africa had no enemies.................................

If (insert who you wish) had no enemies................

................................Who would they all blame for their bad behavior?

The same could be said for all of them. You really think the USA is the only one?

Get a grip.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    Even canada has enemies (baby seals)
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    MrBrian wrote:
    Even canada has enemies (baby seals)

Yeah, they are pests. Club 'em all!
  • Options
    therovertherover Posts: 88
    I wonder what the world would be like if the Brits got off their lazy asses (arses) and took the lead on some of the issues concerning the world instead of complaining about how we handle them.

I really don't care what kind of response this post gets. America is damned if we do and damned if we don't. That is the TRUTH.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    therover wrote:
    I wonder what the world would be like if the Brits got off their lazy asses (arses) and took the lead on some of the issues concerning the world instead of complaining about how we handle them.

I really don't care what kind of response this post gets. America is damned if we do and damned if we don't. That is the TRUTH.

The Brits have been doing plenty.

Check any of your national/international/local newsources for examples.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Alright, I'll be the dopey Pearl Jam fan who quotes Ed in his arguments:

"If there were no angels, would there be no sin?"
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    You really think the USA is the only one?

Get a grip.

I didn't say that America is the only one. I asked a question which you were incapable of answering. Get a grip.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    The Brits have been doing plenty.

Check any of your national/international/local newsources for examples.

That wasn't the point. the question referred to America and whether the country would be a qualitively different place without it's obsession with enemies. A lot of the American authors I admire lived in a time when America was a land of opportunity and new beginnings, and of inward expansionism as opposed to outward looking, aggressive, militaristic expansionism. And I'm only going back 50 years or so and beyond into it's past. I was wondering if anyone here felt nostalgic for that period in America's history and if anyone had any views on when and why the change occured?
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    NMyTree wrote:
    If Islam had no enemies............. they hate america

If Christians had no enemies........... who are there enemies besides gay people?

If Israel had no enemies..................... allied to US

If Iran had no enemies............................ only enemy is US

If the UK had no enemies............................ allied to US

If Africa had no enemies................................. huge market for arms trade

If (insert who you wish) had no enemies................

................................Who would they all blame for their bad behavior?

The same could be said for all of them. You really think the USA is the only one?

Get a grip.

there is that one common link ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    there is that one common link ...

Again, the question remains unanswered.