Options

Homer invents Grunge

2»

Comments

• Options
    moses562 wrote:
    I remember watching the very first episode... then sticking with it for at least 9 years... I haven't seen much past that... and I still believe in the Simpons over other shows... like Family Guy... but I think it's time to put down the pencils and let the Simpons sleep for eternity.
    yah i was kindof thinking the movie wouldve been a nice high note to have ended it on... im not saying its unfunny or unoriginal now... its just not what it once was, and i find that its stooping more and more to the idiotic random jokes that family guy is made up of instead of building around a plot of some sort... all good things must end... and its better when they end on a high note like seinfeld or soundgarden
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    sgossard3 wrote:
    yah i was kindof thinking the movie wouldve been a nice high note to have ended it on... im not saying its unfunny or unoriginal now... its just not what it once was, and i find that its stooping more and more to the idiotic random jokes that family guy is made up of instead of building around a plot of some sort... all good things must end... and its better when they end on a high note like seinfeld or soundgarden

I really enjoyed the movie... It had a plot... and it had everything they couldn't show on TV... Barts doodle, Marge swearing, Homer giving the finger... Yeah, they should have left on a good note.... the movie.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    yeah it was pretty bad... They might have officially just ran out of material. Changing simpsons history is lame.

They actually pride themselves on being factually inaccurate, its was them poking fun at themselves i think.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    "Kurt,...it's your cousin, Marvin,...Marvin Cobain!"

classic lol

for sure wicked Back to the Future reference
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    They actually pride themselves on being factually inaccurate, its was them poking fun at themselves i think.
    yes theres no way a writing staff as incredibly brilliant as theirs (some ivyleague grads) could possibly have done so poorly figuring out a proper timeline... that aspect didnt really bother me that much... and i really like homers neil young look... neil was definitely the inspiration id say
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    I liked it tonight. I don't buy into this "changing the history" business. Fact is, there's always been a gap in the history. They say Homer knocked up Marge right out of high school, but Homer's 38 and Bart's 10.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Havent seen it. I love classic simpsond. Not so much new stuff.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I personally don't find the Simpsons funny anymore, but I understand how some people do and I know that some senses of humors are different than others.

But I've seen the word "brilliant" tossed around here a few times... and I'm sorry but Brilliant? Really? Brilliant?
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    One thing that I noticed about the " grunge " episode that I found a little odd. How could Homer and Marge have been dating in college in the 90's? By that time in life they were already married with kids and a dog. The simpsons came out in the late 80's. All im saying is they should not have had it take place while marge was in college, thats all.

sbb
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    Everything past season 10 has been garbage.

I can agree with that, with the exception of the movie, which I thought was a step in the right direction.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    I noticed this on one of the old episodes called The Springfield Files...

http://i28.tinypic.com/2d7tvrt.png

:)
    Dooooon't Goooo Oooooon Meeeee
  • Options
    I laughed at the Back to the Future reference, and at the Insulin joke.
    "Turns out he DID need those injections" but that was about it. I also didn't like how it changed the history of the show.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Brez wrote:
    I personally don't find the Simpsons funny anymore, but I understand how some people do and I know that some senses of humors are different than others.

But I've seen the word "brilliant" tossed around here a few times... and I'm sorry but Brilliant? Really? Brilliant?
    Absolutely; although I don't find myself laughing as much as I did, the cultural references and inside jokes are amazing. They are very relevant in their attacks. If you watch anything else, brilliant is absolutely apt. I suppose you are one of those who stopped watching in the 90s. You may even be one of those PJ fans who stopped listening in the 90s.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    I can agree with that, with the exception of the movie, which I thought was a step in the right direction.

I thought the movie was awesome. as an environmental professional I thought the whole thing about EPA was hilarious.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    yes theres no way a writing staff as incredibly brilliant as theirs (some ivyleague grads) could possibly have done so poorly figuring out a proper timeline... that aspect didnt really bother me that much... and i really like homers neil young look... neil was definitely the inspiration id say

exactly
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Wrong; still relevant and brilliant

couldnt agree more.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    rudiger10rudiger10 Posts: 129
    I CAN'T believe people would come on here and write about how shitty the simpsons is. This is just a thread for those of us who still like it, and want to discuss one episode. I thought it was funny, and as for the whole timeline thing, how come Bart has been 10 for about 18 years? If they were true to the timeline, it'd either take place in 1989, or Bart would be 28. Its a fucking cartoon!! Who cares how true they are to the timeline.
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Options
    One thing that I noticed about the " grunge " episode that I found a little odd. How could Homer and Marge have been dating in college in the 90's? By that time in life they were already married with kids and a dog. The simpsons came out in the late 80's. All im saying is they should not have had it take place while marge was in college, thats all.

sbb

That's the beauty of cartoons. If they progressed on a normal timeline like you suggest, Bart would be 29. Nobody wants to see that every week. Animated shows can progress in time, but the characters don't age. That's why it's been around for 19 years.
  • Options
    see my previous post about being factually inaccurate....

i always think of it happening in the course of a year and the timeline chancges are just fun ways of poking fun at themselves
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    I liked the "Rape Me" parody ("Brain Freeze").
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    sebaarg88sebaarg88 Posts: 1,277
    There hasn't been a good episode of the simpsons for about 5 years. Aint gonna happen.

agreed
    only love can break your heart
    but only love can brake your fall
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    You may even be one of those PJ fans who stopped listening in the 90s.

Erroneous and irrelevant.

Although I did laugh at how incredibly stupid that jump between subjects was.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    i enjoyed the episode
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    There hasn't been a good episode of the simpsons for about 5 years. Aint gonna happen.

You've watched all 110 or so episodes of the last 5 seasons? You think the show sucks, but you still watch every episode?
  • Options
    sebaarg88 wrote:
    agreed

you too? watched every episode for 5 years and none of them were funny? Or you're trashing a show you don't watch?
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I too have also found that The Simpsons has declined in quality. And no, I haven't watched every single episode of the recent seasons. But I've watched a fair few, plenty enough for me to see that the show isn't for me anymore. If anybody else likes it, then cool, good for them.

This grunge episode was alright. Don't see the point about the timeline bitching, it's a cartoon. I wish they'd actually use their guest stars for a purpose like 'the olden days' instead of just showing them for abot 10 seconds, as if saying "look who we got on the show!"
  • Options
    You've watched all 110 or so episodes of the last 5 seasons? You think the show sucks, but you still watch every episode?

I Have!! and I still Love IT!!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}