Options

A letter from Chomsky and others on the recent events in the Middle East

2»

Comments

• Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    Puck78 wrote:
    I know what you mean. Sadly it's full of people without a critical mind, not able to separate the great things of a certain culture from the bad things involving their state. Like saying that all the americans are fascist because bush is fascist, like saying that all the russians are murderous because of the war in chechnya, like being anti-semitic for the actions of the israeli government.
    But anyway, this might not stop criticism. Just people making critics should be ready to counter-fight people making stupid generalizations from their critics.
    I quote myself to add: it is true also the opposite. Lack of criticism is allowing Olmert to do what he's doing. Right today he declared that the results of the Rome conference allow him to continue the offensive. And nobody really opposed him for the occupation (UN resolutions, yes, but without any following up)
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    Puck78 wrote:
    I quote myself to add: it is true also the opposite. Lack of criticism is allowing Olmert to do what he's doing. Right today he declared that the results of the Rome conference allow him to continue the offensive. And nobody really opposed him for the occupation (UN resolutions, yes, but without any following up)
    shiraz wrote:
    Criticism is blessed, don't get me wrong, but if you're missing the point of it then its either worth nothing, or can be very dangerous.

The Olmert thing = "worth nothing". At least In Israel the govt get's LOTS of criticism, but they still keep on doing what they want.
  • Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    shiraz wrote:
    The Olmert thing = "worth nothing". At least In Israel the govt get's LOTS of criticism, but they still keep on doing what they want.

Just an update: Our govt has just rejected the possibility of a massive ground operation (=increasing our activity in Lebanon), the induction of army reserve extra units to Lebanon and the possibility of fighting against Syria.

At least theoretically, those are positive news.
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    shiraz wrote:
    Just an update: Our govt has just rejected the possibility of a massive ground operation (=increasing our activity in Lebanon), the induction of army reserve extra units to Lebanon and the possibility of fighting against Syria.

At least theoretically, those are positive news.

Shame those "theories" won't bring back the dozens slaughtered in Gaza and Lebanon overnight. But hey, who's counting, right?
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    danmac wrote:
    Shame those "theories" won't bring back the dozens slaughtered in Gaza and Lebanon overnight. But hey, who's counting, right?
    danmac, of course they won't bring back the killed, but, hey, they have to start somewhere to stop the violence. When violence will be stopped it will be right to press for inquiries to put in front of a court the people that decided for the slaughters.
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    By now I have read
    power and terror post 9/11 by Chomsky + John Junkerman
    and made up some conclusions myself.

I am not speakless anymore.

I first wrote or asked the question why we can’t sort things out just by diplomatic ways.

I found some reasons:

- Israel and the USA are pretty aggressive folks and follow some secret goals.
    …so were we.

- USA and Israel still hang in the 80ies where people just trusted guns and weapons. The power of perfect killing by machines.
    ..But there are other ways to solve a conflict…. Feel the love generation ;)

- The USA and its people are the superpower and once touched with the sugar in power, humans tend to stick with it as long as possible.
    ... It is just great to be the richest country on this planet and do what you are in the mood to (it is also nice to be one of the richest countries in Europe).
    ..just sad that we want the best only first for ourselves and our family, then for the neighbours and the own folks
    where as the planet is round.

- We, the half of the planet that have an agreement (Capitalism+ consumerism) and get along kinda well, we do enjoy life.
    …We have so much, have it all… education and information so we might think more and our brains may seem more advanced. It may be, because our urgent needs are fulfilled already (like food, water, sleep) … a good health and so much pleasures in life. We just are finally able to enjoy this existence on this wild planet fully, nearly without fear,
    So of course we do not want to change but vote for the party that promises best to keep the high level of our living standard and let us have even more money and goods made out of plastic.

So Germany is silent, so is the rest of the rich circle, the powerful ones…
    but maybe we have a reason. We here will just always support Israel cause we still feel so guilty and want to see them live happy, too.
    ...but can't we be happy all of us?

So we still love the American way… and so do I.
    Thanks Mr. Chomsky :)

...hey hey there is plenty for all!
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.