Options

The Working Families Party

JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
edited August 2010 in A Moving Train
Anyone out there aware of this party beginning to gain ground in other states than just NY?

The WFP is a grassroots, community and labor based political party with chapters throughout New York State. The WFP is a grassroots, community and labor based political party with chapters throughout New York State. The goal of the Working Families Party is to more forcefully inject the issues of working-class, middle-class, and poor people—like jobs, health care, education, and housing—into the public debate, and hold candidates and elected officials accountable on those issues. Our organizing strategy is to start local, think long-term, combine campaign work with organizing and education, and not waste supporters' votes on candidates with no chance of winning.

Fusion politics at work. Instead of having their own candidates running (and not having much chance at winning), Working Families adopts a candidate already running under a different party that stands for particular issues that is at the heart of WF values. If this candidate wins, WF holds the candidate to bringing about the issues that they swore they'd stand by and carry out.

WFP is currently in NY, CT and is trying to get an introduction in OR, MA and CA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Families_Party
http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/issues/index.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,207
    yeah, I think I'll be voting with them tomorrow (over the independence party). I love the electoral fusion here where we can vote for a 'minor'-party and not worry about our vote being 'wasted'.

and i love that the wfp may be in oregon! i heart oregon.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,147
    No way...I'm anti-family...no vote from me.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    No way...I'm anti-family...no vote from me.

makes sense if you're voting republican ;)
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    makes sense if you're voting republican ;)

I'm only voting for murderers from now on...so unless I move to Mass...I guess I can't vote for anyone...wait a minute...I just thought of that little abortion issue.... ;)

Tell me, where does the Working Families Party stand on abortion?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I'm only voting for murderers from now on...so unless I move to Mass...I guess I can't vote for anyone...wait a minute...I just thought of that little abortion issue.... ;)

Tell me, where does the Working Families Party stand on abortion?

Abortion is not a platform of the WFP, which is nice because since it is legal here, we can focus on other pressing issues--you know, issues that get neglected over the emotional pull of abortions and gays during election cycles. The WFP is supporting every democrat here in ny so i take it they're safely pro-choice. Family planning is pro-family afterall.

Why don't you read for yourself?
    http://www.workingfamiliesparty.org/about.html
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    Abortion is not a platform of the WFP, which is nice because since it is legal here, we can focus on other pressing issues--you know, issues that get neglected over the emotional pull of abortions and gays during election cycles. The WFP is supporting every democrat here in ny so i take it they're safely pro-choice. Family planning is pro-family afterall.

Cause I was just hoping for the short answer. Abortion is not family planning. ;)

Anyhow...the point is...it sounds nice and all, but they can name themselves whatever they want and rarley does it really mean anything substantial.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Cause I was just hoping for the short answer. Abortion is not family planning. ;)

Anyhow...the point is...it sounds nice and all, but they can name themselves whatever they want and rarley does it really mean anything substantial.

Whatever you say, oh Keeper of all Knowledge. You sound like you could use some good non-cynical drugs to make you happy. You obviously didn't read anything on the website, nor want to.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Whatever you say, oh Keeper of all Knowledge. You sound like you could use some good non-cynical drugs to make you happy. You obviously didn't read anything on the website, nor want to.

Wow...thatnks for that. I hadn;t had an unprovoked personal attack here for a while. I was wondering what was going on.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Wow...thatnks for that. I hadn;t had an unprovoked personal attack here for a while. I was wondering what was going on.

Well, if you weren't all cocky and full of it, you wouldn't have prompted my reaction.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Well, if you weren't all cocky and full of it, you wouldn't have prompted my reaction.

Ok champ. Take a deep breath....and another.....feeling better?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

abortion is most certainly family planning.

and the party's name really fits.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    VictoryGin wrote:

are any candidates still playing the "pro-life" issue this election?
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    abortion is most certainly family planning.

and the party's name really fits.

Ok...2 the second part...but I guess it really depends on what yo9u think family values are...no? I mean no one is going to call themselves the anti-Family party, now are they? ;)

I'll look into it more later.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gluten919 wrote:
    are any candidates still playing the "pro-life" issue this election?

not for me, but i'm in a very safe urban bubble.

this may help:
    http://www.naral.org/elections/states/
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    Sounds like a bunch of people looking for handouts to me...
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    know1 wrote:

That's what I saw. Tax the rich, create a new tax on other people for my benefit, and don't cut spending on me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

what in their platform was a handout?
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    what in their platform was a handout?

From Wikipedia:

"The WFP was launched with the agenda of well-paying jobs, affordable housing, accessible health care, better public schools and more investment in public services"

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    know1 wrote:
    From Wikipedia:

"The WFP was launched with the agenda of well-paying jobs, affordable housing, accessible health care, better public schools and more investment in public services"
    Oh my god, the horror! :eek:
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

Hahaha...sounds good.....of course someone has to pay for the 'benefits'
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

it makes no sense to me. but it's a nice reminder as to why i don't frequent here much anymore.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    There are Working Family Party candidates in NJ, unfortunetly none are running for Senate or in my Congressional district.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

Well, that was in answer to the question about handouts, and I stand by what I said.

I've gotten all of those things mentioned on my own, so why do they need a political party to demand that other people hand them those things?

• Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    know1 wrote:
    Well, that was in answer to the question about handouts, and I stand by what I said.

I've gotten all of those things mentioned on my own, so why do they need a political party to demand that other people hand them those things?
    If you think that you got all those things entirely on your own ... that public policy had nothing to do with any of it ... nothing to do with the cost, or the availability of those things, nothing to do with how easy or difficult they were to obtain ... well, you just go right on thinking that.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

Keep on talking, your ignorance shines through with flying colors. Not to mention that this is also coming from someone who refuses to vote. Your opinion means nothing.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Keep on talking, your ignorance shines through with flying colors. Not to mention that this is also coming from someone who refuses to vote. Your opinion means nothing.

Man, you are on a role with simply insulting people here. Nice work. And you speak of ignorance. Fuck that.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    In Massachusetts, we have the option tomorrow of voting for an iniative that would create the same fusion-voting system that New York has. I'm not going to vote for it. I think instant runoff voting would be a better system, and if we were to establish fusion-voting, it would make it more difficult to get to IRV. I also don't think making it easier for a bunch of single-issue parties to crop up makes for a better democracy. It would make it more interesting, but that's it. I'd rather see the elimination of parties, and have all candidates run as individuals.
  • Options
    Man, you are on a role with simply insulting people here. Nice work. And you speak of ignorance. Fuck that.

The reason I don't frequent the board much anymore is because people like you don't give anything a chance. Actually reading up on the WFP? Who's going to do that when they can just throw out some crap just for the sake of argument? What happened to intelligent conversation and ideas? What happened to the idea of another political party, that so many want, but instead, it gets nothing but a few harsh remarks? With all due respect there bearcat, you were being a smart-ass. I'm just sick to death of people around here thinking that they know what it's "all about" without reading into anything further.
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    Jeanwah wrote:
    The reason I don't frequent the board much anymore is because people like you don't give anything a chance. Actually reading up on the WFP? Who's going to do that when they can just throw out some crap just for the sake of argument? What happened to intelligent conversation and ideas? What happened to the idea of another political party, that so many want, but instead, it gets nothing but a few harsh remarks? With all due respect there bearcat, you were being a smart-ass. I'm just sick to death of people around here thinking that they know what it's "all about" without reading into anything further.

maybe you don't frequent the board anymore b/c you don't like answering direct questions. know1 asked who's going to pay for it? all he's gotten in return are "if you want to believe that, keep on believing it." and a bunch of people who throw their hands up in the air. In other words, how dare anyone challenge your positions.

If you were to actually interested in intelligent conversation and ideas, you would have answered the question "who's going to pay for it?"
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
  • Options
    maybe you don't frequent the board anymore b/c you don't like answering direct questions...
    If you were to actually interested in intelligent conversation and ideas, you would have answered the question "who's going to pay for it?"

Part of the WFP's mission is to articulate and broadcast a different set of principles and policy ideas than those we usually hear. Instead of predictable sound bites from dueling conservatives and liberals, we'd like to see a genuine conversation about our society and economy. We think that the real divide is not left-right but top-bottom.

There are plenty of organizations doing good research and advocacy work. But we think a couple of big ideas are getting left out. One is the right of working people to control their own lives - in their neighborhoods, their governments and their workplaces. The WFP is a labor-supported party, and proud to be. But for us, the importance of organized labor goes beyond wages and benefits, important though those are, to extending democracy to the workplace - the least democratic part of American society.

Second, we think there's a need for a principled defense of the public sphere. Contrary to twenty years of conventional wisdom, we don't think that "government is the problem." A vigorous, effective public sector is a vital part of a good society, providing many goods and services that would be far more costly - or out of reach entirely - to working people without it. More broadly, we want to reinvigorate "the commons" all those public spaces and institutions that people maintain and use collectively. In a society devoted with increasing single-mindedness to the pursuit of profit, we think there's a place for a party that stands up for the public good.