Options

Bush won't watch Gore movie

Comments

• Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    hmmmm... oookk. if you guys say so
    Again, it must be that religion is unassailable, right?
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    So religion is unassailable? Shit, no wonder it's so politically appealing. How long will it be before some politician can just throw out the line "well, if you disagree with me, you disagree with Jesus. And since Jesus is always right, you must be wrong. Next issue...."

Oh, it's already been done. In 2004, Alan Keyes ran against Barack Obama for a US Senate seat. Keyes attacked Obama's positions on abortion, gay rights, etc. At one point, he compared Obama to a slave owner and he also claimed he knew that "God wouldn't vote for Barack Obama." I don't think God is registered to vote in Illinois, but that's neither here nor there.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    hmmmm... oookk. if you guys say so
    That's the exact thing I was talking about in my earlier post. Why is it not wrong for you to call someone out but when they do it to you they're nothing more than spreading hate speech and are intolerant? As stated before, you should show respect to others beliefs before you expect yours to be respected. For you to sit there and not address the point makes it seem like you're nothing but a blind sheep. I know this is not the case. Once again, one more time, science is to some people what your (insert belief here) is to you.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    Maybe he should have said something to the effect of "I don't think I will be watching that movie." I don't know. Some would say that he didn't steal the election by election laws so you are not accurate on that point.
    "Some" may be wrong, but we probably shouldn't bring the constitution into this.
    zstillings wrote:
    This movie may have nothing to do with his job. As I said before, I have not seen it but the way it is being sold is propoganda. A president should not have to watch every piece of propoganda in order to do his job effectively. Simply bashing this statement makes many other more legitimate complaints seem petty as well.
    I'm just saying, he's a fucking politician. Lip service is his forte and instead he chooses to take a shot at Al by saying, "doubt it."

I'm not sure where you come up with propaganda. Gore has no political motivations other than helping those who can make a difference become informed.
  • Options
    once again... Your'e spinning it out of control. What does the rapture have anything to do with me not believing in global warming?? Quit comparing apples and oranges! You guys get a kick out of bashing Christian beliefs. It's very obvious and disturbing at the same time.

borderline hate speech is NOT the same as saying you don't believe in global warming!

Well, go ahead and enjoy your bashing! It's all in the timeline!
    Dude, calm your Jesus-loving-self down and read the posts please. You referred to sound science as "fairy tale" now did you forget that? So....what's the difference between that and someone calling your beliefs "fairy tale?" I'm not spinning anything, this is straight forward.
  • Options

I'm not sure where you come up with propaganda. Gore has no political motivations other than helping those who can make a difference become informed.

No kidding. I could see how it could be propaganda if it was bashing repulicans and favoring democrats or atleast favoring him for the next president sprint but it's not doing this. What would have to be done to ensure that this is NOT propaganda? What would make you happy zstillings?
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    I can't believe all the hatred for religious beliefs on this board by a select few. To simply ridicule a personal religious belief is sickening! Your words border on hate speech!

And to think you call yourselves tolerant people. SICKENING!

I hope you're not the kind of person that throws around the term "PC" every time someone gets offended at a racial joke.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    By the way, if people just shut there mouths with their witty comments it would save a lot of people's feelings and stop big ass arguments like this that lead absolutely no where except to another war.
    Please don't take away my laughter.
  • Options
    I wont go see it either? Does that make me a bad person?
    Nope, just ignorant. Sorry, look it up, ignorance = lack of knowledge.
  • Options
    THCTHC Posts: 525
    1) Steven Seagal

2) final scene: a rapture

3) a "directed by mel gibson" credit

4) lotsa scenes with big ol' 'splosions in slow motion and cars flying off cliffs

5) every gun death must be immediately prefaced by witty banter

6) speedboat chases, car chases, jet chases, chases in general

7) fart jokes

8) a Skynrd-heavy soundtrack

9) a gorgeous blonde woman who wears skintight leather and never talks

10) a really funny black sidekick who dies tragically

9) a bunch of "freedom haters" done get blowed up

10) an intense yet understated emotional tension between dysfunctional couples reminiscent of early cassavetes films and the classic "who's afraid of virginia woolf?"

well, maybe the first nine things.

nice :)

what can i really say on here that hasn't already been said....?
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
  • Options

So does that make you ignorant if you didn't see passion of the Christ? I mean even if ya don't believe in fairy tales, does that still make you ignorant?
  • Options
    So does that make you ignorant if you didn't see passion of the Christ?
    First of all, I did see it. Secondly, the film you refer to is not scientificly sound, so any "knowledge" would be that of someone's opinion, in this case a raging anti-semite alcoholic....:D
  • Options
    First of all, I did see it. Secondly, the film you refer to is not scientificly sound,

neither is Gores movie. I mean, hell, we just had global cooling panic 30 years ago, now global warming. Which one is it??? One decade, wer'e told we are going to freeze to death, next, we are told we are going to burn to death. Cmon! :D
  • Options
    neither is Gores movie. I mean, hell, we just had global cooling panic 30 years ago, now global warming. Which one is it??? One decade, wer'e told we are going to freeze to death, next, we are told we are going to burn to death. Cmon! :D
    Give me as credible a source as Al Gore and have that person make a film backed up with science and fact and then I'll try to answer your question. But remember, I'm an American so it's gotta be entertaining or I won't vote for it.
  • Options
    Give me as credible a source as Al Gore and have that person make a film backed up with science and fact and then I'll try to answer your question. But remember, I'm an American so it's gotta be entertaining or I won't vote for it.

this is very entertaining

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZSqXUSwHRI
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    "Some" may be wrong, but we probably shouldn't bring the constitution into this.

What?
    I'm just saying, he's a fucking politician. Lip service is his forte and instead he chooses to take a shot at Al by saying, "doubt it."

I will give you that he may have used bad judgement in choosing those words. I said that in the post that you quoted.

I have not seen the movie. It doesn't look like it is giving the facts from the scientists who say that global warming is not occurring. Why should the President watch every movie that is trying to sway opinion? If Gore had no political motivations other than what you state, why was the movie released for general consumption instead of being targeted and sent only to those "who can make a difference?"
  • Options
    No kidding. I could see how it could be propaganda if it was bashing repulicans and favoring democrats or atleast favoring him for the next president sprint but it's not doing this. What would have to be done to ensure that this is NOT propaganda? What would make you happy zstillings?

It is being MARKETED as propoganda. I never said it was. I will not see it in the theater so I, as I have stated before, and will not say that the movie is propoganda outright.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    I have not seen the movie. It doesn't look like it is giving the facts from the scientists who say that global warming is not occurring.
    Well, that's an easy one. They're virtually non-existant. Come on, zstillings, are you new here? We all know that there are only a handful of crack-pot "scientists" that dispute global warming. Plus, Gore does mention some of their theories so he can put them to rest with solid, sound science.
    zstillings wrote:
    If Gore had no political motivations other than what you state, why was the movie released for general consumption instead of being targeted and sent only to those "who can make a difference?"
    The thing is, we all can make a difference. We really can. But policy changes would be key to turning this around before it's too late. IMO, it's simply irresponsible to not see this film. What do you have to lose? $8.00? Wait for DVD and rent it for $3.50, ffs. If you're so against it, then at least you can go in thinking that you can laugh at all of Gore's ridiculous claims, right?
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    It is being MARKETED as propoganda. I never said it was. I will not see it in the theater so I, as I have stated before, and will not say that the movie is propoganda outright.

My bad dude, misread your post. My mistake.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    I'm not sure how you get that conclusion. The only "marketing" I saw for this was Al's appearance on Larry King. How is that being marketed as propaganda? BTW, Al Gore is a class act who is very intelligent and has his heart in this stuff. And he's entertaining now.....which is why he didn't become president right? Because he was boring?.....well, he's anything but boring these days. You really should check it out.
  • Options
    Well, that's an easy one. They're virtually non-existant. Come on, zstillings, are you new here? We all know that there are only a handful of crack-pot "scientists" that dispute global warming. Plus, Gore does mention some of their theories so he can put them to rest with solid, sound science.

I'm sorry. My mistake. I will still have to watch it to gather my own opinion of the movie. When you use a word like "crack-pot" it makes me think that you are letting your own bias in on this and are willing to disregard all science that may go against your own. This is nothing against you, I will just make form my own opinion on the matter.

The thing is, we all can make a difference. We really can. But policy changes would be key to turning this around before it's too late. IMO, it's simply irresponsible to not see this film. What do you have to lose? $8.00? Wait for DVD and rent it for $3.50, ffs. If you're so against it, then at least you can go in thinking that you can laugh at all of Gore's ridiculous claims, right?

I would have to spend arount $10 to see it in the theater. I will wait for the DVD and watch it then. I'm not so against it. I will just wait to form my own opinion since the idea of truth and where it can be found around here often differs from my own.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how you get that conclusion. The only "marketing" I saw for this was Al's appearance on Larry King. How is that being marketed as propaganda? BTW, Al Gore is a class act who is very intelligent and has his heart in this stuff. And he's entertaining now.....which is why he didn't become president right? Because he was boring?.....well, he's anything but boring these days. You really should check it out.

I saw posters up all around town and many speeches. Also there many articles about it. It is a utilizing a newer medium for overt political statements much like talk radio.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    zstillings wrote:
    It doesn't look like it is giving the facts from the scientists who say that global warming is not occurring.
    Find one who isn't on an energy company or conservative think tank payroll.
    zstillings wrote:
    If Gore had no political motivations other than what you state, why was the movie released for general consumption instead of being targeted and sent only to those "who can make a difference?"
    Because we ARE the ones who can make a difference. The people who are opposed to reform are powerful and outrageously well-funded. The only hope for change is for the overwhelm majority of the public to demand change.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Find one who isn't on an energy company or conservative think tank payroll.

They have to get funding for their science somewhere. It's obvious that those who want to find the opposite to be true will not pay them. If we can discredit people based on their affiliations then this movie would be discredited based on the fact that Al Gore is a vocal member of the Democrat Party.

hippiemom wrote:
    Because we ARE the ones who can make a difference. The people who are opposed to reform are powerful and outrageously well-funded. The only hope for change is for the overwhelm majority of the public to demand change.

If this is true then the movie should have its intended effect. This means that the fact that Bush is not watching it shouldn't be an issue at all. It just seems a little petty that people are complaining about his remark on this.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    I saw posters up all around town and many speeches. Also there many articles about it. It is a utilizing a newer medium for overt political statements much like talk radio.
    That's interesting. I didn't know that....but then again, I'm lucky I even got to see it. After all, I live in Utah where this film only played in two theaters throughout the entire state, both 30 miles from where I live.

Well, it sounds like you may have an open mind about things so I hope you do get a chance to see it.
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    I'm sorry. My mistake. I will still have to watch it to gather my own opinion of the movie. When you use a word like "crack-pot" it makes me think that you are letting your own bias in on this and are willing to disregard all science that may go against your own. This is nothing against you, I will just make form my own opinion on the matter.

it's a fact, jack, that not ONE peer-reviewed article exists refuting global warming. NOT ONE.

see:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=210412
  • Options
    it's a fact, jack, that not ONE peer-reviewed article exists refuting global warming. NOT ONE.
    Perhaps the most amazing statistic in An Inconvenient Truth is that of 900-plus peer-reviewed studies in recognized journals, not one has challenged the idea of global warming, whereas more than 53 percent of articles in the mainstream media have presented it as a theory or been careful to include the demurrals of a tiny handful of bought-and-paid-for scientists or politicians. This portrays quite well the motivations of mainstream media and who they're sleeping with.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    zstillings wrote:
    If this is true then the movie should have its intended effect. This means that the fact that Bush is not watching it shouldn't be an issue at all. It just seems a little petty that people are complaining about his remark on this.
    I'm with you on that. I don't think it matters what he sees or doesn't see, it would probably go over his head anyway.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745

I'd be ignorant to not go see this movie? I have PLENTY of places to gain knowledge on the subject of global warming. Computers, library, TV, Radio. How exactly do I end up ignorant because I don't want to see a movie made by a fat-ass loser politician who couldnt beat my high school class president in an election? Why the fuck would anyone WANT to see a movie by him on this topic? Is he a fuckin meteorologist?

And your post borders on an insult to me. Watch it. I report posts that break the rules faster than anybody. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    So does that make you ignorant if you didn't see passion of the Christ? I mean even if ya don't believe in fairy tales, does that still make you ignorant?

By his logic, or by his definition of ignorant, I guess so. :)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad