Options

Reparations for Irish Slaves

2»

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Just think about the rate of interest and how much money each person is owed. We're talking serious money, per head. If you can prove beyond reasonable doubt, through historical records of slave trade and export, that you're directly descended from someone on one of those ships, you're looking at millions. Millions and millions.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,374
    world wrote:
    This question is more for people who support reparations for african-americans that were relatives of slaves.

Do you support reparations for the white Irish slaves?

"White servants" were Irish slaves captured and sold during the heyday of the Irish slave trade (1649-1657) under Cromwell. The Cromwellian (i.e., Puritan) government in Ireland gave the slave monopolies to good Puritan merchants who then sold on to other good Puritan merchants in the Caribbean, Virginia, and New England. (The Royalists/Anglicans got nearly nothing out of the Irish slave trade.) The first witch killed (1688) in the famous Massachusetts witch trials was an old Irish slavewoman (Anne Glover) who had been captured by Cromwellian forces and sold as a slave in the 1650s. She could recite the Lord's Prayer in Irish and Latin, but didn't speak English. So Cotton Mather and the boys hung her.

There are many more articles of white Irish Slaves, but I couldnt post all of them. Clearly the number of African slaves were much greater then Irish Slaves, but dont you think reparations should be given to all slave ancestors and not just some.

btw, yes im Irish if your curious

If Black Africans get it, certainly, the White Irish should, too.
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    NMyTree wrote:
    If Black Africans get it, certainly, the White Irish should, too.
    well, i'd say an entire new population and culture should be recognized here and they aren't black and they certainly aren't irish, but who's counting? as long as people continue to let others herd them, there will be wrong ful actions indiscriminate of color; as long as people don't question, there will be no answers. as long as there is greed, there will be no justice.....only just us

how damn lucky i am to have been born in the justus group...i was born with all the chosen qualities; white, upper middle class, conservative; and afraid.
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light