Options

Workmates

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
Hey, just wondering what you all think of this.

I work for a company that provides vehicle data to various car dealerships. I found a few discrepencies in our database and mentioned to the project manager that I would go through all of the entries to flush out any discrepencies I find.

A fellow comes in after me on weeknights and works from 12:00 AM to 8:00 AM. Last night I informed him of what the plan was, and he responded with "I'm not going to do that, it's not my job" and I said "Well, I'm doing because I have the time and no one else is going to if I don't". I left last night with the understanding that he wasn't going to help with it at all.

When I came in this afternoon I started working on it again, after a couple of hours the project manager approached me and was praising the work we had done. Slightly confused I asked what work he was referring to, he pointed me to the "sent Items" folder in Outlook. Where I found this:

"After speaking with Ryan we both thought it might be good if we checked other models during our tests.
Here is what I have been doing between tests..."

To me, that is a really dishonest thing to do. I understand if he changed his mind later on, but he didn't leave me a note or anything. I felt like I was kind of ripped off somehow. I'm not sure if I feel justified in the way I feel about it. I think what he did is just kind of sneaky.

Any thoughts?
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Maybe I should let this stuff bug me.

Another guy I work with seems to think that if the security guard is playing flash games on the internet it slows our whole network down.

I've personally seen our network and spoken with the administrators about it. Our network is all layer 3 switching, and we have dual t3s, that's about 90mbs/s.

I tried to explain to this fellow that there is no possible way it would significantly impact our connection speeds, because of the segmentation and speed of our network.

He went on to say that he fancies himself the network guy on our team and that I may be good at programming, but he is good at networking. So, I tried explaining to him that I studied CCNA quite thouroghly and I understand the OSI and Cisco network models, I understand how layer 2 and layer 3 segmentation differ, I understand the complete process from the point you press a key on the keyboard to the point it prints to the screen to the point you click send to the point the other person receives the information. I know 99% of everything about computers and networking.

But, he still insists that a flash game from miniclip.com is going to cause a major halt in the system. I've tried explaining that when I come in at 4:00PM there are literally 100 people accessing the internet, some, no doubt, are playing a flash game or using up more bandwith running benchmark applications and I notice very little network congestion as a result. But he still insists, and is going as far to raise a stink with the network team.

What is wrong with people? Should I just let them be and try not to let it bother me?
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Sounds like to me you are the smartest guy at work and therefore probably a threat to some of those who think you are going to make them look less because of your knowledge. I call them empire builders, they just want to create their own little empires at work that are walled and protected by their own illusions of their importance.

The first post was definately underhanded, and this guy wanted the glory. I just try to find like minded individuals who I can trust at work before I spill the knowledge that I have on a subject. Save it for when you can use it, but still be helpful to those who need it as long as they don't use it against you later.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    First guy: Call him out on it. Tell him that what he did was underhanded and sneaky (tell him in a polite way), and never trust him again. Also, print out that email and save it as proof that he was taking credit for your idea. You'll at least have it as proof when you confront him. That counts as something.

Second guy: Let him make a fool of himself. I wouldn't even bother with him.
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Options
    thats life in an office buddy. it sucks, but its ALWAYS going to happen. i gave up some $$, but working in a factory has been great for my sanity.