Options

Bend over Cuba here comes Unca Sammy

rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Monday, July 17, 2006, 8:30 a.m.
17/07/2006

So Cuba turns out to have substantial reserves of oil and natural gas. And now the U-S is re-thinking its longstanding embargo against the country.

US Govt:

"Yes of course...we must reconsider our new "friends" (cough, cough...rubs hands together eagerly)"

must...have..more...oil...must...obtain..Cuba...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    17/07/2006

So Cuba turns out to have substantial reserves of oil and natural gas. And now the U-S is re-thinking its longstanding embargo against the country.

US Govt:

"Yes of course...we must reconsider our new "friends" (cough, cough...rubs hands together eagerly)"

where did you get this??
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    where did you get this??

CBC radio show called the current

goto http://www.cbc.ca , however they don't elaborate much in text form...much more to come on this I'm sure
  • Options
    Oh Please - Do not let the US into Cuba, they will ruin such a peaceful island.

I spent 2 weeks over there and it was the best holiday ever, no shops, no McDonalds, no Fastfood outlets. Even the people were friendly.
    Now my bitter hands shake beneath the clouds

Jools Holland 25/4/06
    Reading Festival 27/8/06

one better than Ed

WHO with Keith Moon - Oct 1975 Stafford
    Led Zep with John Bonham - May 1975 London
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    BlackKeith wrote:

I spent 2 weeks over there and it was the best holiday ever, no shops, no McDonalds, no Fastfood outlets. Even the people were friendly.

Thank you. As the son of Cuban immigrants the last thing I want for that island and it's people is to be a property of the US. Cuba belongs to Cubans not corporations that would still keep the people poor while they reap all the island has to offer.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Bump
    Confucious Says: He who buries a man's wife alive, should not expect to sit at that man's dinner table without the subject coming up.
  • Options
    17/07/2006

US Govt:

Where did you get this information? Cuba has to ration power, petrolium, and just about everything else. If Cuba had reserves they would have sold the rights to Venezuela YEARS ago. This is what happens when you get your news from Janeane Garofalo. Please provide said information from a major news agency!
    Confucious Says: He who buries a man's wife alive, should not expect to sit at that man's dinner table without the subject coming up.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Thank you. As the son of Cuban immigrants the last thing I want for that island and it's people is to be a property of the US. Cuba belongs to Cubans not corporations that would still keep the people poor while they reap all the island has to offer.

Amen, if yo want to see how Cuba would look if the US would be in there just come to Puerto Rico. almost identical islands and culture. one is comunist the other capitalist. We dont own shit. yes we have alot more prosperity but at what price? there are over 700 murders a year, one of the highest murder rates in the world. polution is out of control, corruption is the name of the game and i could give lots of problems that come with a "free" society. Dont get me wrong cuz Cuba also has alot of bad things but i think a happy medium can be found.

Puerto Rico y Cuba son alas de el mismo pajaro.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Where did you get this information? Cuba has to ration power, petrolium, and just about everything else. If Cuba had reserves they would have sold the rights to Venezuela YEARS ago. This is what happens when you get your news from Janeane Garofalo. Please provide said information from a major news agency!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cuba/canada-cuba-trade.html
    However, Cuba's oil production has taken off in recent years, thanks to foreign investment from places like Spain and Canada. Spain's Repsol-YPF and Cuba's state-run oil company CUPET found large pockets of high-quality crude oil and natural gas off the coast near Havana in 2004. The U.S. Geological Survey later confirmed the find.

Since then, companies from China, India, Canada and Norway have entered partnerships to drill for offshore oil in Cuba.

The find has also sparked interest in the U.S. Two American congressmen have introduced bills in the U.S. House and Senate to exempt oil companies from the embargo on Cuba
  • Options
    BlackKeith wrote:

I hear this alot from people who travel, and it's deplorable way of thinking. Somehow you think that your right to a vacation trumps people's desire to better themselves, improve their economy, and quality of life as they (NOT YOU) see fit. I spent a lot of time in Thailand last year enough to see how Europeans treated the locals as novelty items like somehow they were in a store or a zoo or something. Somehow the rest of the world is OK with these countries remaining their own personal brothels with quirky backwards nativies. You people suck! This shows the roots of racisim.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    BlackKeith wrote:

no freedom
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    beemster wrote:
    no freedom

So true! They just jail anyone who dares speak out....I mean interrupt their vacation.
  • Options
    So true! They just jail anyone who dares speak out....I mean interrupt their vacation.

Have you been to Cuba?
  • Options
    beemster wrote:
    no freedom

free dom and the mock racy are just new american myth, you can't force that into everyone's throat, if Cuba have to change, it's up to Cubans to do so, not to greedy imperialist capitalist...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:

Why is it that no one can see beyond the word "oil". If it's Iraq, Israel, Lebanon, or anywhere else it just must be only oil so the discussion has no merit. It's shitty oil, very little oil, and don't make them out to be the next Saudi Arabia or Azerbaijan. And the Canadian's touting 6 pizza joints and beer?!?!? Did they forget to count the coins a Canadian tourist dropped in a rickshaw?

The Cuban economy stands on 2 legs. Sugar and Tourisim. Food lines suck! Rationing Sucks! There has to be a better way and it's not yours!
  • Options
    free dom and the mock racy are just new american myth, you can't force that into everyone's throat, if Cuba have to change, it's up to Cubans to do so, not to greedy imperialist capitalist...

Yeah I agree...why does everyone assocaite freedom to Western style freedom...heaven forbide the definition could be different elsewhere...I agree let the people decide where they want to go....
  • Options
    Have you been to Cuba?

No I have not been there. I don't have to be shot to know I don't like it. I read alot. I have known MANY people who were borne there, lived there, escaped there, returned there, and many tourists who were both amazed and shocked by what they have seen.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Why is it that no one can see beyond the word "oil". If it's Iraq, Israel, Lebanon, or anywhere else it just must be only oil so the discussion has no merit. It's shitty oil, very little oil, and don't make them out to be the next Saudi Arabia or Azerbaijan. And the Canadian's touting 6 pizza joints and beer?!?!? Did they forget to count the coins a Canadian tourist dropped in a rickshaw?

The Cuban economy stands on 2 legs. Sugar and Tourisim. Food lines suck! Rationing Sucks! There has to be a better way and it's not yours!

what the hell are you on about? i simply found the referenced material that the original post seemed to be talking about.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree...why does everyone assocaite freedom to Western style freedom...heaven forbide the definition could be different elsewhere...I agree let the people decide where they want to go....

When has Canada ever have had to fight to preserve anything or liberate anyone? Don't give me any Iraq crap also because I don't agree with what's going on over there. It's so easy for the Canadians to point and tout like the French when both countrys refuse to get their hands dirty. Well at least the French have screwed a few things up I'll give them that.

The only brand of freedom I care about is the one that won't jail me if I speak out and let's me do what I can as best as I can to feed myself.
  • Options
    BlackKeith wrote:

AHHHH, so that explains 90% of the population dancing in the streets when they learned of Castro's recent ilness, and assumed he was on his deathbed
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    what the hell are you on about? i simply found the referenced material that the original post seemed to be talking about.

Sorry I was just replying to the original poster. Thanks for the link. :)
  • Options
    When has Canada ever have had to fight to preserve anything or liberate anyone? Don't give me any Iraq crap also because I don't agree with what's going on over there. It's so easy for the Canadians to point and tout like the French when both countrys refuse to get their hands dirty. Well at least the French have screwed a few things up I'll give them that.

The only brand of freedom I care about is the one that won't jail me if I speak out and let's me do what I can as best as I can to feed myself.

LOL...wow talk about hostility out of thin air...jesus calm the hell down for real....we played a major role in WW2 hell we there before the US set foot in Europe and were one of the largest armies present in WW1...we were there in Korea...used our brains to stay out of Vietnam and Iraq regardless if you want to hear about it....

Lester Pearson (an old PM) won the Nobel Peace Prize for diffusing the Suez Canal crisis for another matter of keeping the peace.....

Want me to go on to prove that your history of my nation is incomplete and you have no idea what you are rambling about.

Plus do yourself a favour and give up the superiority complex...labelling us like the French is absurd and childish for that mater or do I need to tell you to go grab some freedom fries so I can reach down to your current level of insults.....give it up....you wanna discuss issues talk like an adult....

BTW there is other sorts of freedom then our freedom...
  • Options

Hmmm, lets see, when the Americans attempted invading Canada we stood tall....I believe we won, and burned the west wing of the whitehouse down after that.

Cypress comes to mind. We did not tell people how to run their country there. We just sent troops as an extension of the Cyrus gov.

Iran comes to mind, when the canadians cleaned up after 20 years of war (helped)

Dieppe comes to mind, when Canada was willing to sacrifice every soldier to regain ground, Hamburg, and Normandy beach to....despite what the movies say.

You wanna through stones?

Lets look at the US track record (and yes, I do realise they have done good to, but I will point out the negative)....Vietnam, Louce, Iraq, Korea, Columbia, Cuba, Iran weapon support, Afgahnistan weapon / training support...the way I see it, none of these were successes. The US either used these contries, and now they are coming back on them, or they shoved the western way down their throats and caused bitter rifts between the cultures. It is one thing to share a culture, it is another to try to westernise the world.

I am not saying the US is a horid society, what I am saying is that just because the US feals the need to "fix" other contries problems, it does not alway mean it is the right thing to do, and if it is, maybe they should try a new approach now and then.

There, venting done.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    Hmmm, lets see, when the Americans attempted invading Canada we stood tall....I believe we won, and burned the west wing of the whitehouse down after that.

Cypress comes to mind. We did not tell people how to run their country there. We just sent troops as an extension of the Cyrus gov.

Iran comes to mind, when the canadians cleaned up after 20 years of war (helped)

Dieppe comes to mind, when Canada was willing to sacrifice every soldier to regain ground, Hamburg, and Normandy beach to....despite what the movies say.

You wanna through stones?

Lets look at the US track record (and yes, I do realise they have done good to, but I will point out the negative)....Vietnam, Louce, Iraq, Korea, Columbia, Cuba, Iran weapon support, Afgahnistan weapon / training support...the way I see it, none of these were successes. The US either used these contries, and now they are coming back on them, or they shoved the western way down their throats and caused bitter rifts between the cultures. It is one thing to share a culture, it is another to try to westernise the world.

I am not saying the US is a horid society, what I am saying is that just because the US feals the need to "fix" other contries problems, it does not alway mean it is the right thing to do, and if it is, maybe they should try a new approach now and then.

There, venting done.

Good post but I assume he/she already knew that about our country....;) judging from the unprovoked hostility of their post.....