Options

I stopped watching Palin's speech right here:

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited September 2008 in A Moving Train
"America... needs more energy. Our opponent... is against producing it."

What?

I'm not even going to give her the rest of my time to watch the speech while she openly lies to awestruck Republicans delegates and anybody watching at home.
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    she is so horrendous at speaking... I only wish I could debate her myself.
  • Options
    Did you catch the joke?
    What's the difference between hockey moms and pit bulls? Lipstick.

Yes, she really made that joke during her acceptance speech for the vice presidential nomination of the republican party.
    WTF is wrong with this woman?
    Did she know she was on TV and millions of people were watching?
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    And remember... It is sexist to ask questions of her. so shhhhh
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    what happens when the vp pick is coached for hours and reads a speach written by bush's writers? Well you all saw it......
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Which side of the nuclear power fence is Obama on this week? Anyone know?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Westernsky wrote:
    Did you catch the joke?
    What's the difference between hockey moms and pit bulls? Lipstick.

Yes, she really made that joke during her acceptance speech for the vice presidential nomination of the republican party.
    WTF is wrong with this woman?
    Did she know she was on TV and millions of people were watching?

OK that one was kinda weak.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    spyguyspyguy Posts: 613
    _outlaw wrote:
    she is so horrendous at speaking... I only wish I could debate her myself.

horrendous? did you even watch her speech? she is an excellent speaker
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Bullsht at it's finest.

This woman is a trainwreck.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Bullsht at it's finest.

This woman is a trainwreck.

excellent commentary. have you considered working for a major new outlet?
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    spyguy wrote:

perhaps you should...with grand slams like this: horrendous? did you even watch her speech? she is an excellent speaker

plame did a fair job, at best...for the first few minutes of her speech, I thought they screwed up the teleprompter and had her read rudy's speech...

I do think the condescending remarks about being a community organizer where a bit over the top...but that's just me...
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    perhaps you should...with grand slams like this: horrendous? did you even watch her speech? she is an excellent speaker

I was merely asking a question and giving an opinion on her speaking skills. so yea, I would consider it a grand slam as well ;)

inmytree wrote:
    plame did a fair job, at best...for the first few minutes of her speech, I thought they screwed up the teleprompter and had her read rudy's speech...

I do think the condescending remarks about being a community organizer where a bit over the top...but that's just me...

eh, all these speeches from both sides, during these conventions, seem to go over the top.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Novawind wrote:

What?

I'm not even going to give her the rest of my time to watch the speech while she openly lies to awestruck Republicans delegates and anybody watching at home.

I'll agree, but...

At what point did you stop watching any of the DNC speeches which were spreading the same types of lies and half-truths?

The whole close-minded partisanship of it all sickens me.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 711
    she gave a good speech.. dont let the democratic pull blind you!
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Novawind wrote:

What?

then she lied and said obama wants to raise taxes on everyone and every business?

bold face lie right there... and of course the media doesnt jump on that blatant lie
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    then she lied and said obama wants to raise taxes on everyone and every business?

bold face lie right there... and of course the media doesnt jump on that blatant lie

not really. he will tax the highest earners who mostly own their own business and employ many people. bottom line, obama wants to increase the size of government, increase spending, and increase taxes for the most successful people in this country. personally, I dont care for more government.

http://www.allbusiness.com/government/elections-politics-politics-political-parties/11479910-1.html

Corporate Taxes: Obama has proposed taxing carried interest as ordinary income, eliminating all oil and gas loopholes, and requiring publicly traded financial partnerships to pay the corporate income tax. He would sanction countries that act as international tax havens and refuse to share financial information with the United States.

He would impose a windfall profits tax on oil and gas companies, require information reporting of basis for capital gains, reallocate multinational tax deductions, and close loopholes in the corporate tax deductibility of pay for chief executives. Combined with other as-yet-unidentified provisions, the campaign expects these provisions to raise $76 billion in revenue each year, according to the study.

Overall, the Obama plan would provide the largest tax breaks, measured as a percentage of after-tax income, to the bottom fifth of income earners compared with current law. Each succeeding fifth would, on average, receive a tax cut, but those at the very top of the income ladder would pay more. The increase in taxes would be dramatic for those at the very top of the income scale, representing 8.7 percent of after-tax income for the top 1 percent of households and 11.5 percent of income for the richest 1 in 1,000, the study notes.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yep, the condescension of Obama's community organizing position was infuriating... this is a job that he took out of a sense of duty rather than greed for money, and it's a grueling, difficult, thankless job. But apparently it has no real responsibility, according to Palin. Saying it doesn't qualify you for the presidency is one thing... saying it has no real responsibility, like being a mayor of Wasilia is some big accomplishment, is just bullshit.

And then the character attacks... calling Obama a different man behind closed doors and in public, bringing back the fucking "bitter" comments that died months ago...

Sure, Obama's campaign might stretch the truth like all campaigns in history have, but at least they don't attack McCain's character. McCain and Palin are running a bullshit smear campaign. I can only get on my knees and pray we won't get fooled again by this bullshit.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    spyguy wrote:
    not really. he will tax the highest earners who mostly own their own business and employ many people. bottom line, obama wants to increase the size of government, increase spending, and increase taxes for the most successful people in this country. personally, I dont care for more government.

http://www.allbusiness.com/government/elections-politics-politics-political-parties/11479910-1.html

Then it is a lie. Obama's plan would offer a tax cut to all brackets except the top, where they would pay more. There's a legitimate criticism in asking what that would do to revenues, salaries over lower employees, etc. and that's a debate that should be had. Putting giving all individuals a tax cut until the top bracket vs "raising everyone's taxes"? The latter is a lie.

And why should we believe the Republicans? When was the last time that the Republican Party was a party of small government?
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:

And then the character attacks... calling Obama a different man behind closed doors and in public, bringing back the fucking "bitter" comments that died months ago...

why are those comments made by obama off limits? clearly, he should be called out on it
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Then it is a lie. Obama's plan would offer a tax cut to all brackets except the top, where they would pay more. There's a legitimate criticism in asking what that would do to revenues, salaries over lower employees, etc. and that's a debate that should be had. Putting giving all individuals a tax cut until the top bracket vs "raising everyone's taxes"? The latter is a lie.

well he will allow the bush tax cuts to expire, which will raise everyone taxes. but I hear ya, its a stretch to say he will raise all taxes. obama does want to tax the rich to feed the poor.
    digster wrote:
    And why should we believe the Republicans? When was the last time that the Republican Party was a party of small government?

reagan I guess. bush did fuck things up for true conservatives, but being attacked own our soil and fighting 2 wars fucked up that
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    spyguy wrote:

Where some people see gold, I see a pile of shit.
  • Options
    spyguy wrote:
    well he will allow the bush tax cuts to expire, which will raise everyone taxes. but I hear ya, its a stretch to say he will raise all taxes. obama does want to tax the rich to feed the poor.

reagan I guess. bush did fuck things up for true conservatives, but being attacked own our soil and fighting 2 wars fucked up that

I think you might have to go back even further than Reagan. I think he was the start of that.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    spyguy wrote:
    why are those comments made by obama off limits? clearly, he should be called out on it

Because it was bullshit then just like it's bullshit now.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    spyguy wrote:

part true...

from here: http://www.taxfoundation.org/candidates08/ (compare mccain and obama)

Barack Obama

Marginal Individual Income Tax Rates

Maintain the current 10, 15, 25, and 28 percent rates from the 2001-03 tax cuts, but allow the top two rates to expire (the 33 percent rate would rise to 36 percent; the 35 percent would rise to 39.6 percent). Eliminate all income taxation of seniors making less than $50,000 per year. (Source).
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Because it was bullshit then just like it's bullshit now.

LOL why is it bullshit? are we even talking about the same comments? about how middle america hang on to religion and guns. (or something like that)
  • Options
    DOSW wrote:
    Yep, the condescension of Obama's community organizing position was infuriating... this is a job that he took out of a sense of duty rather than greed for money, and it's a grueling, difficult, thankless job. But apparently it has no real responsibility, according to Palin. Saying it doesn't qualify you for the presidency is one thing... saying it has no real responsibility, like being a mayor of Wasilia is some big accomplishment, is just bullshit.

I'm really hoping this entire thing backfires. Slamming the entire 'community organizing' profession seems to have become a Republican talking point, considering I've heard from about every Republican pundit and politician. I don't see what they're trying to accomplish here. There's alot of people in this country that have encountered community organizers in their life (granted, probably not in the communities where a majority of these Republicans come from; maybe that's why they have no idea), and I don't think those communities will be happy about the smug condesencion on the part of the Right. Additionally, I'm hoping many small-town citizens are going to hear her going on about it, look at their own mayor and think, "I like Jed but I don't think this makes him ready for the Presidency."

I don't know for sure; I'm just hoping this works cause for the good of this country these people cannot be elected in in November.
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    part true...

from here: http://www.taxfoundation.org/candidates08/ (compare mccain and obama)

Barack Obama

Marginal Individual Income Tax Rates

Maintain the current 10, 15, 25, and 28 percent rates from the 2001-03 tax cuts, but allow the top two rates to expire (the 33 percent rate would rise to 36 percent; the 35 percent would rise to 39.6 percent). Eliminate all income taxation of seniors making less than $50,000 per year. (Source).

cool, great website. thanks for posting.

here is the full comparison, everyone should check this out

http://www.taxfoundation.org/candidates08/compare/
  • Options
    Obama is really fucking people with expensive homes

Estate Tax
    View Research Area »

McCain
    15% tax rate on estates over $5 million ($10 million for married couples). (Source).

Obama
    45% tax rate on estates over $3.5 million ($7 million for married couples). (Source).
  • Options
    Wow. McCain chose a real stinker of V.P.

I'm an independent... actually registered Republican just to vote for Ron Paul...

I was completely on the fence, but now I'm kinda scared because this V.P. looks terrible!

"When the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot – what exactly is our opponent's plan – after he's done turning back the waters and healing the planet? ... Victory in Iraq is finally in our sight, and he wants to forfeit." - Palin

So we have nothing better to talk about than you're opponents "set" (the columns)? Wow. Anything to avoid substance, she just was bashing Obama like a 6th grader running for class president.

Also bashing "healing the planet"? WHAT?!?!!? I thought that is a good thing, instead of having wars with it.

I look forward to the debates. Still on the fence, but before her speech I was leaning McCain... now... leaning Obama.

McCain is not George Bush 2, but it looks like Palin may be.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    Novawind wrote:

What?

Your loss...she was speaking the truth.

I've never understood the Dems against drilling...we need a COMPREHENSIVE energy plan that includes the NOW, the short-term (drilling), and the long-term (energy independence through innovation).
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    spyguy wrote:
    Obama is really fucking people with expensive homes

Estate Tax
    View Research Area »

McCain
    15% tax rate on estates over $5 million ($10 million for married couples). (Source).

Obama
    45% tax rate on estates over $3.5 million ($7 million for married couples). (Source).

There is a lot of class envy on this board and this will probably be very popular with most.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?