Lebanon: The Only Exit Strategy

NCfanNCfan Posts: 945
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Lebanon: The Only Exit Strategy

By Charles Krauthammer
Wednesday, July 19, 2006; Page A19

There is crisis and there is opportunity. Amid the general wringing of hands over the seemingly endless and escalating Israel-Hezbollah fighting, everyone asks: Where will it end?

The answer, blindingly clear, begins with understanding that this crisis represents a rare, perhaps irreproducible, opportunity.

A man walks by a Haifa apartment building hit by a Hezbollah rocket yesterday. (By Ahikam Seri -- Bloomberg News)

The Guns of July
» Harold Meyerso | In a region rapidly succumbing to blood-drenched fantasies of victory or martyrdom, a peacekeeping force may be the only thing to spare us.
Marcus: The Very Latest in Summer Camps
Krauthammer: The Only Exit Strategy
King: The Two Executions of Willie Francis
OPINIONS SECTION: Toles, Editorials

Who's Blogging?
Read what bloggers are saying about this article.
Counter-Spin
Counter-Spin
Counter-Spin

Full List of Blogs (80 links) »

Most Blogged About Articles
On washingtonpost.com | On the web

Save & Share
Tag This Article

Saving options
1. Save to description:
Headline (required)
Byline

2. Save to notes (255 character max):
Blurb

3. Tag This Article

Every important party in the region and in the world, except the radical Islamists in Tehran and their clients in Damascus, wants Hezbollah disarmed and removed from south Lebanon so that it is no longer able to destabilize the peace of both Lebanon and the broader Middle East.

Which parties? Start with the great powers. In September 2004 they passed U.N. Security Council Resolution 1559, demanding that Hezbollah disarm and allow the Lebanese army to take back control of south Lebanon.

The resolution enjoyed the sponsorship of the United States and, yes, France. As the former mandatory power in Lebanon, France was important in helping the Lebanese expel Syria during last year's Cedar Revolution, but it understands that Lebanon's independence and security are forfeit so long as Hezbollah -- a lawless, terrorist, private militia answering to Syria and Iran -- occupies south Lebanon as a rogue mini-state.

Then there are the Arabs, beginning with the Lebanese who want Hezbollah out. The majority of Lebanese -- Christian, Druze, Sunni Muslim and secular -- bitterly resent their country's being hijacked by Hezbollah and turned into a war zone. And in the name of what Lebanese interest? Israel evacuated every square inch of Lebanon six years ago.

The other Arabs have spoken, too. In a stunning development, the 22-member Arab League criticized Hezbollah for provoking the current crisis. It is unprecedented for the Arab League to criticize any Arab party while it is actively engaged in hostilities with Israel. But the Arab states know that Hezbollah, a Shiite militia in the service of Persian Iran, is a threat not just to Lebanon but to them as well. Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Jordan have openly criticized Hezbollah for starting a war on what is essentially Iran's timetable (to distract attention from Iran's pending referral to the Security Council for sanctions over its nuclear program). They are far more worried about Iran and its proxies than about Israel. They are therefore eager to see Hezbollah disarmed and defanged.

Fine. Everyone agrees it must be done. But who to do it? No one. The Lebanese are too weak. The Europeans don't invade anyone. After its bitter experience of 20 years ago, the United States has a Lebanon allergy. And Israel could not act out of the blue because it would immediately have been branded the aggressor and forced to retreat.

Hence the golden, unprecedented opportunity. Hezbollah makes a fatal mistake. It crosses the U.N.-delineated international frontier to attack Israel, kill soldiers and take hostages. This aggression is so naked that even Russia joins in the Group of Eight summit communique blaming Hezbollah for the violence and calling for the restoration of Lebanese sovereignty in the south.

But only one country has the capacity to do the job. That is Israel, now recognized by the world as forced into this fight by Hezbollah's aggression.

The road to a solution is therefore clear: Israel liberates south Lebanon and gives it back to the Lebanese.

It starts by preparing the ground with air power, just as the Persian Gulf War began with a 40-day air campaign. But if all that happens is the air campaign, the result will be failure. Hezbollah will remain in place, Israel will remain under the gun, Lebanon will remain divided and unfree. And this war will start again at a time of Hezbollah and Iran's choosing.

Just as in Kuwait in 1991, what must follow the air campaign is a land invasion to clear the ground and expel the occupier. Israel must retake south Lebanon and expel Hezbollah. It would then declare the obvious: that it has no claim to Lebanese territory and is prepared to withdraw and hand south Lebanon over to the Lebanese army (augmented perhaps by an international force), thus finally bringing about what the world has demanded -- implementation of Resolution 1559 and restoration of south Lebanon to Lebanese sovereignty.

Only two questions remain: Israel's will and America's wisdom. Does Prime Minister Ehud Olmert have the courage to do what is so obviously necessary? And will Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's upcoming peace trip to the Middle East force a premature cease-fire that spares her the humiliation of coming home empty-handed but prevents precisely the kind of decisive military outcome that would secure the interests of Israel, Lebanon, the moderate Arabs and the West?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I agree with the article that Hezbollah, and all terrorist organizations, need to be taken care of NOW. The only aspect I'm a little unsure of is having Israel do it alone. Any action by Israel can be used by Hezbollah and such groups as a recruiting tool. This is a problem that the Arab nations need to take care of. The members of the Arab League need to start stepping up and addressing militant Islam that is breeding within their borders. The problem can not be fixed by the US and it's western allies and/or Israel. Islamic terrorists have long carried out campaigns against their own people and governments and now that the focus seems to have switched to the US and the west these governments seem all too content that they are not the focus. This is their problem just as much as any other country in the world. So the Saudi Arabias, Jordans, Egypts of the middle east need to take care of this problem and stop expecting the US and the EU to do their job for them.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • NCfanNCfan Posts: 945
    mammasan wrote:
    I agree with the article that Hezbollah, and all terrorist organizations, need to be taken care of NOW. The only aspect I'm a little unsure of is having Israel do it alone. Any action by Israel can be used by Hezbollah and such groups as a recruiting tool. This is a problem that the Arab nations need to take care of. The members of the Arab League need to start stepping up and addressing militant Islam that is breeding within their borders. The problem can not be fixed by the US and it's western allies and/or Israel. Islamic terrorists have long carried out campaigns against their own people and governments and now that the focus seems to have switched to the US and the west these governments seem all too content that they are not the focus. This is their problem just as much as any other country in the world. So the Saudi Arabias, Jordans, Egypts of the middle east need to take care of this problem and stop expecting the US and the EU to do their job for them.

Yeah, I think you make a good point. I posted an article I read in Time that speaks to your concern. It basically said that like Iraq, it is a gamble to try and destroy Hizbollah through military means becuase much of the Shite majority in Lebanon actually support Hizbollah as a political movement. So I guess there are many people who don't join the Hizbollah ranks as fighters, but support their militant attitude towards Israel.

Looks like this will again be a battle for "hearts and minds". Just my opinion though, I think that this war would be exponentially easier than fighting the resistance in Iraq. The lines are much clearer and the situation is not as complex with multiple factions fighting for different things.

Once again, however, just like Iraq - this is a war that must be fought in my eyes. Better to go ahead and fight while America is strong and has world influence than just wait for the problem to esculate years down the road. It sure as hell isn't going away unless we make it go away. America might no be as strong economically, militarily in the future with China, India and others rising up the ranks in world power - plus you have rouge states gathering nukes which could check our options in the future too.
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    NCfan wrote:
    Yeah, I think you make a good point. I posted an article I read in Time that speaks to your concern. It basically said that like Iraq, it is a gamble to try and destroy Hizbollah through military means becuase much of the Shite majority in Lebanon actually support Hizbollah as a political movement. So I guess there are many people who don't join the Hizbollah ranks as fighters, but support their militant attitude towards Israel.

Looks like this will again be a battle for "hearts and minds". Just my opinion though, I think that this war would be exponentially easier than fighting the resistance in Iraq. The lines are much clearer and the situation is not as complex with multiple factions fighting for different things.

Once again, however, just like Iraq - this is a war that must be fought in my eyes. Better to go ahead and fight while America is strong and has world influence than just wait for the problem to esculate years down the road. It sure as hell isn't going away unless we make it go away. America might no be as strong economically, militarily in the future with China, India and others rising up the ranks in world power - plus you have rouge states gathering nukes which could check our options in the future too.

We definetly have to take care of this problem as soon as possible. I just believe that Arab nations, especially the one's I namedand other like, must play a much larger role in handling this if weareto be successful.Lebanon is a perfect example where the majority of the country is westernized, it's majority government is westernized but the country is held hostige by a minority that supports Hezbollahand Hezbollah itself. The responsibility of eliminating Hezbollah should not fall on Israel's shoulders nor the US'.

By the way that was a great article from Time that you posted.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul