Bill Gates

jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
edited December 2006 in A Moving Train
just wondering what people think about him. someone in another thread said he is an asshole. there are many anti-capitalist around here and you must hate this guy. but why?

personally I think he is one of the most outstanding people in the world. He is stepping down as chairman of microsoft to spend all his time working for his foundation.

the top items on his agenda are to seek cures for the world's diseases and to improve American education


http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm


http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Grants/

thats alotta cheeze
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    He and his wife have formed one of the greatest philanthropy efforts of all time. How he made his money is certainly controversial and could easily be seen as shady, but there's no denying that he's genuinely dedicated to improving the lives of the less fortunate around the globe.

    When the Oracle of Omaha trusts you with billions of charitable dollars, you're doing something right in this world.
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Puck78 wrote:


    haha. no problem.
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    Gates is nothing more than a common criminal .......hehehehe.


    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/gatesmug1.html
  • jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Gates is nothing more than a common criminal .......hehehehe.


    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/gatesmug1.html


    thats hilarious
  • caifan82caifan82 Mexico CityPosts: 321
    I have no problems with Bill Gates. You have to admire his vision to make his business grow like it did.
    Sure, Windows sucks so much it sometimes makes me want to slam my head to desk and IE is as secure as downtown Bagdad... But he does make a lot for less fortunate people. Good for him!
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    I don't know his business practices, but I do hate the constantly changing versions of the same programs and the limited compatability (though that was worse years ago).

    But you have to admire the Foundation. He gives a lot. Kudos to him.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,584
    I think what he's doing is great.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

    Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,091
    jlew24asu wrote:
    just wondering what people think about him. someone in another thread said he is an asshole. there are many anti-capitalist around here and you must hate this guy. but why?

    personally I think he is one of the most outstanding people in the world. He is stepping down as chairman of microsoft to spend all his time working for his foundation.

    the top items on his agenda are to seek cures for the world's diseases and to improve American education


    http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm


    http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Grants/

    thats alotta cheeze
    Yeah, top quality guy, for sure! He's aces!

    Paul Allen too.....
  • jlew24asu wrote:
    just wondering what people think about him. someone in another thread said he is an asshole. there are many anti-capitalist around here and you must hate this guy. but why?
    Contrary to the typical, "arrogance of wealth" belief, he's used much of his money to do good things for millions of people. Unlike, say Donald Trump or Roman Abramovich...
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    Bill Gates

    :D
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    Bill Gates

    :D
    Nice :D
  • Contrary to the typical, "arrogance of wealth" belief, he's used much of his money to do good things for millions of people. Unlike, say Donald Trump or Roman Abramovich...

    Just as long as no assholes got in his way to the top.

    Seriously though, I don't have a problem w/ Bill.

    Another funny gates Vid I am sure you have all seen. Does that dude keep his job? haha

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbj8kMvQDfI

    XP Media cernter too!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtYoPGvcFI

    A good Letterman skit too.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2wqClpQfA
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    Bill Gates

    :D

    I have more respect for Gates now!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • that dude is a good shit,...

    you can't bust his chops too much,...
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    caifan82 wrote:
    I have no problems with Bill Gates. You have to admire his vision to make his business grow like it did.
    Sure, Windows sucks so much it sometimes makes me want to slam my head to desk and IE is as secure as downtown Bagdad... But he does make a lot for less fortunate people. Good for him!

    I get a kick out of people like you, you bitch about Windows, then switch, Macs are far better
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

    "Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • beemster wrote:
    I get a kick out of people like you, you bitch about Windows, then switch, Macs are far better

    Why anyone would use a PC for their personal use, makes no sense to me.
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    beemster wrote:
    I get a kick out of people like you, you bitch about Windows, then switch, Macs are far better
    Most of us are stuck with Windows at work, and have to have Windows at home for when we bring work home. It's a sad situation.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Gates is nothing more than a common criminal .......hehehehe.


    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/gatesmug1.html

    That was for driving the tractor? lol
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    When you look at the story of Bill Gates. This guy that had a dream. Left Harvard to pursue his dream in the computer industry. He found a way to achieve that dream by buying software from someone and leasing it to others. He basically set up the deal, except the original seller was unaware. He spent $50,000 USD for QDOS, which he leased as MS-DOS to IBM for millions.

    Then he established a relationship with Apple. Worked with them on developing the Apple GUI (Graphical User Interface). While he was doing that he was making Windows. Using all of Apple's ideas to make his own operating system. Essentially stealing it from Apple. He did the same with Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer. Windows 3.1 Microsoft licenses the source code to O/S2 Warp. O/S2 Warp is released finally and Microsoft releases Windows 95 squashing O/S2.

    Most of what Microsoft did in those days is illegal now, from what I understand. I think Bill saw an opportunity to fulfill his dream and took it. Can't blame the guy really, I mean it probably seemed like a great idea at the time. Now he's doing some good things. People change too.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Ahnimus wrote:
    When you look at the story of Bill Gates. This guy that had a dream. Left Harvard to pursue his dream in the computer industry. He found a way to achieve that dream by buying software from someone and leasing it to others. He basically set up the deal, except the original seller was unaware. He spent $50,000 USD for QDOS, which he leased as MS-DOS to IBM for millions.

    Then he established a relationship with Apple. Worked with them on developing the Apple GUI (Graphical User Interface). While he was doing that he was making Windows. Using all of Apple's ideas to make his own operating system. Essentially stealing it from Apple. He did the same with Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer. Windows 3.1 Microsoft licenses the source code to O/S2 Warp. O/S2 Warp is released finally and Microsoft releases Windows 95 squashing O/S2.

    Most of what Microsoft did in those days is illegal now, from what I understand. I think Bill saw an opportunity to fulfill his dream and took it. Can't blame the guy really, I mean it probably seemed like a great idea at the time. Now he's doing some good things. People change too.

    'Great idea at the time?' Great idea now. The man is The Man.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 32,423
    came across this video the other day from about 5 years ago.




    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
Sign In or Register to comment.