Options

Can a good Muslim be a good American?

barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
I received the following email from a close friend today and I have to say that it infuriated me. To be honest, I don't know much about Islam (or any organized religion, really), so my only response to it was 'this is a bunch of crap', which isn't much of a thought out intelligent response. Although I don't have much knowledge about Islam, this email seemed innately wrong to me. I'd like to hear other opinions about it, esp from those that do have knowledge about Islam.

Can a good Muslim be a good American? I forwarded that question to a friend that worked in Saudi Arabia for 20 years. The following is his forwarded reply.
Have you ever thought -- Can a devout Muslim be an American patriot and a loyal citizen? Is Muslim American really an oxymoron? Consider this:

Theologically, no. Because his allegiance is to Allah, the moon god of Arabia.
Religiously, no. Because no other religion is accepted by his Allah except Islam (Quran, 2:256)
Scripturally, no. Because his allegiance is to the five pillars of Islam and the Quran (Koran).
Geographically, no. Because his allegiance is to Mecca, to which he turns in prayer five times a day.
Socially, no. Because his allegiance to Islam forbids him to make friends with Christians or Jews.
Politically, no. Because he must submit to the mullah (spiritual leaders), who teach annihilation of Israel and destruction of America, the great Satan.
Domestically, no, because he is instructed to marry four women and beat and scourge his wife when she disobeys him (Quran 4:34).
Intellectually, no, because he cannot accept the American Constitution since it is based on Biblical principles and he believes the Bible to be corrupt.
Philosophically, no, because Islam, Muhammad, and the Quran do not allow freedom of religion and _expression. Democracy and Islam cannot co-exist.
Every Muslim government is either dictatorial or Autocratic.
Spiritually, no, because when we declare "one nation under God," the Christian's God is loving and kind, while Allah is NEVER referred to as heavenly father, nor is he ever called love in the Quran's 99 excellent names.
Therefore after much study and deliberation .... Perhaps you should be very suspicious of ALL MUSLIMS in this country. They obviously cannot be both "good" Muslims and good Americans. Call it what you wish...it's still the truth.
If you find yourself intellectually in agreement with the above statements, perhaps you will share this with your friends. The more who understand this, the better it will be for our country and our future.
Pass it on Fellow Americans.... The religious war is bigger than most Americans realize or understand.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
but the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
~Albert Einstein
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    baraka wrote:
    I received the following email from a close friend today and I have to say that it infuriated me. To be honest, I don't know much about Islam (or any organized religion, really), so my only response to it was 'this is a bunch of crap', which isn't much of a thought out intelligent response. Although I don't have much knowledge about Islam, this email seemed innately wrong to me. I'd like to hear other opinions about it, esp from those that do have knowledge about Islam.

Can a good Muslim be a good American? I forwarded that question to a friend that worked in Saudi Arabia for 20 years. The following is his forwarded reply.
    Have you ever thought -- Can a devout Muslim be an American patriot and a loyal citizen? Is Muslim American really an oxymoron? Consider this:

Religiously, no. Because no other religion is accepted by his Allah except Islam (Quran, 2:256)
    Scripturally, no. Because his allegiance is to the five pillars of Islam and the Quran (Koran).
    Geographically, no. Because his allegiance is to Mecca, to which he turns in prayer five times a day.
    Socially, no. Because his allegiance to Islam forbids him to make friends with Christians or Jews.
    Politically, no. Because he must submit to the mullah (spiritual leaders), who teach annihilation of Israel and destruction of America, the great Satan.
    Domestically, no, because he is instructed to marry four women and beat and scourge his wife when she disobeys him (Quran 4:34).
    Intellectually, no, because he cannot accept the American Constitution since it is based on Biblical principles and he believes the Bible to be corrupt.
    Philosophically, no, because Islam, Muhammad, and the Quran do not allow freedom of religion and _expression. Democracy and Islam cannot co-exist.
    Spiritually, no, because when we declare "one nation under God," the Christian's God is loving and kind, while Allah is NEVER referred to as heavenly father, nor is he ever called love in the Quran's 99 excellent names.
    Therefore after much study and deliberation .... Perhaps you should be very suspicious of ALL MUSLIMS in this country. They obviously cannot be both "good" Muslims and good Americans. Call it what you wish...it's still the truth.
    If you find yourself intellectually in agreement with the above statements, perhaps you will share this with your friends. The more who understand this, the better it will be for our country and our future.
    Pass it on Fellow Americans.... The religious war is bigger than most Americans realize or understand.

TRUE Muslims dont believe that Israel HAS to be destroyed...that is BS...this is exactly the type of crap that feeds hate....please find a Muslim person (there are lots in North America) and show them that...they would be infuriated as well...for the reason that someone is spreading this bullshit....I know some Muslims and they are nothing like that....more fear mongering....makes me wonder how many fools bought into this piece of rubbish....sickening and the only purpose to spread lies and hate....
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    that's completely ridiculous. i cant even begin to enumerate on the many things wrong with it.
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    while i can't argue about the religious "facts", i believe this is just racist propaganda, it should be reported to your local police, specially the "suspicious of all muslims" part.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    baraka wrote:

Typical propaganda passed around by the GOP and the Christifascists. It will get a few "hell yeah!!" responses from the typical Republican voters.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    what does it mean to be a good american these days anyways?
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    baraka wrote:

As much as I will take this at face value. This one piece stood out among the rest of the garbage in this e-mail. So if they are really going by the book how the hell did America get into the fray. As much as I am leery of the Israel part of it all, I am sure that back when the book was written that not even the Eurpeans had a thought of the great land of America. So either they are fine tuning the book to their greater use and the people who fall for it become their sheep. Or you believe what the real book says and thus I don't think "America" would be in there.

Anyhow, if a "muslim" who is living in America is working, paying taxes and going to his own church. How does this makes him different from any other American who is working, paying taxes and going to their church?

Now a partriot according to this board......No. But an average American who we have come to know and love? Probably more educated and wordly. Sorry had to take a swipe at idiots who come up with e-mails like this and the tools who circulate them.

Reading this is like hearing the drum beating. Hate, hate, hate, war, war, war.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    what a crock of shit... and bigotry.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    TRUE Muslims dont believe that Israel HAS to be destroyed...that is BS...this is exactly the type of crap that feeds hate....please find a Muslim person (there are lots in North America) and show them that...they would be infuriated as well...for the reason that someone is spreading this bullshit....I know some Muslims and they are nothing like that....more fear mongering....makes me wonder how many fools bought into this piece of rubbish....sickening and the only purpose to spread lies and hate....

I am feeling the Cdn vibe. Good on ya!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options

That was my feelings about it, that the email spreads hate and intolerance.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    I'd really like to hear from someone that knows a bit about Islam or is a muslim refute the points in this 'email' and tear it apart. It was my opinion that anyone could pen a distorted, hateful email in the same vein about any religion.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    I love the all bean jobs that have no brainpower or realization outside of stereotypes...

Are all Muslims radical fundamentalists then? All jews orthodox? etc.. etc..

What a gigantic crock o shite of the highest order.

Sadly it would appear your "friend" is a somewhat of a racist at large...
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    what a crock.

i am not muslim, but personally if i were...i would not waste my time 'refuting' such utter garbage. one can be completely faithful to their religious beliefs, and still be a 'good american'...whatever the hell that even means? it's disgusting to see such circulated, and scarier still to think there are some out there that would believe such. i think most sensible people can find the balance between their God, if they have one, and their country.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    what is GOP ?
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    what is GOP ?

the Grand Ole Party - The Republicans.

As for the op, isn't a "Good American" an oxymoron these days?

Seem to be a dying breed.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    While SOME Muslims obviously feel and behave in accordance with this e-mail, a great many do not. Its like saying that all Christians are extreme fundamentalists who bomb abortion clinics. I must agree with the responses of most people in this thread. While I personally find Islam distasteful as a religious philosophy, that opinion has no bearing whatsoever on the virtues of its individual adherents. Muslims can be good people or so-called "bad" people, depending on the individual.
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    danmac wrote:
    the Grand Ole Party - The Republicans.

As for the op, isn't a "Good American" an oxymoron these days?

Seem to be a dying breed.

Ah I learn some new terms.

Hate is the easiest emotion to express, and harbor, especially when experiencing fear. Toss in a dash of animosity... and you got the emotional trinity of hell in a handbasket.

I wonder what magical color the terror alert is today.....hum de dum...
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    i don't open any emails like that. i don't care what the body of it is. if it comes to me forwarded, it gets deleted immediately. forwarded mail = opinion of someone i don't even know, or "forward this to 10 people within 15 minutes and you'll receive good fortune." yeah, along with a virus that was attached to it. i can't believe people still open these types of emails.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton