Options

Israel Threatens To Blow Up UN Forces Who Are Repairing Civilian Bridges

TruthmongerTruthmonger Posts: 559
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
UN officials contacted the Israeli army to inform them that a team of Chinese military engineers attached to the UN force in Lebanon intended to repair the bridge on the Beirut to Tyre road to enable the transport of humanitarian supplies.

According to the UN, Israeli officials said the engineers would become a target if they attempted to repair the bridge.

Senior UN officials reacted angrily to the destruction of a temporary causeway over the Litani river overnight. "We must be able to have movement throughout the country to deliver supplies. At this point we can't do that," said David Shearer, the humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon. "The deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure is a violation of international law."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1839442,00.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    This was something else that confused me...
    When the last remaining bridge was destroyed to keep Hezbollah fighters from coming South to fight... didn't they also trap those people who were just trying to get the hell out ot there? And how is that U.S. supply line supposed to get those donated U.S. taxpayer aid to those refugees?
    I'm all for Israel trying to defend themselves.. but, something like this means they have assumed the task of caring for the refugees. Since the outbound escape/supply route is cut off... it means that the inbound supply route is through Israel. They have to take in and care for refugees, fleeing the violence... right? Are they doing this? Is this happening?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Oh man. China...not a country you want to piss off. The Chinese military is the largest on the Earth. And Israel just isn't that far away for them.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'm all for Israel trying to defend themselves.. but, something like this means they have assumed the task of caring for the refugees. Since the outbound escape/supply route is cut off... it means that the inbound supply route is through Israel. They have to take in and care for refugees, fleeing the violence... right? Are they doing this? Is this happening?

But what is Israel defending themselves from? a group of people trying to fight the israeli occupation of palestine and lebanon?
  • Options
    Here's a partial answer from the article:

"International aid groups have blamed Israel for not providing security guarantees, thereby paralysing the delivery of aid to the south. Even when aid reaches Tyre, convoys have to apply on a case by case basis for permission to take it out to the villages. Most applications are refused."

Sounds alot like what they do to Palestinians - ie: arbitrarily decide who or what gets through......
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    But what is Israel defending themselves from? a group of people trying to fight the israeli occupation of palestine and lebanon?
    Without getting into the wider scope of that whole mess over there... the specific Hezbollah lobbing rockets into Israel thing. Hezbollah would have better served their cause by taking over the government of Lebanon and voicing their grievences via diplomacy. Instead... they chose to toss a few over the fence.
    I know I'd be pissed if Mexico lobbed a few mortar rounds into San Diego.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Without getting into the wider scope of that whole mess over there... the specific Hezbollah lobbing rockets into Israel thing. Hezbollah would have better served their cause by taking over the government of Lebanon and voicing their grievences via diplomacy. Instead... they chose to toss a few over the fence.
    I know I'd be pissed if Mexico lobbed a few mortar rounds into San Diego.

yes but if san diego was occupying mexico and holding mexicans in prisons without a fair trial, I hope you would undertsand why those rockets are headed your way.

Hez did'nt just start blasting rockets for no reason, they are the ones defending themselves.

Of course non violence from them would be great, but remember, they do have people in the government so it's not like they've not tried that way.

I don't really side with the hez as a whole, but you get my point yeah?
    But of course I quite agree with you also.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    yes but if san diego was occupying mexico and holding mexicans in prisons without a fair trial, I hope you would undertsand why those rockets are headed your way.

Hez did'nt just start blasting rockets for no reason, they are the ones defending themselves.

Of course non violence from them would be great, but remember, they do have people in the government so it's not like they've not tried that way.

I don't really side with the hez as a whole, but you get my point yeah?
    But of course I quite agree with you also.
    Oh... I agree. Both sides of this mess share the blame and the responsibilities of the outcomes of their actions. The problem is, neither one of those assholes want to admit fault in anything.
    And on a side note... remember how the expulsion of Syria from Lebanon was heralded by Bush (and his supporters here on the Moving Train) as proof of Democracy, spreading across the Arab world? And i said, 'Be careful what you wish for'?
    They voted in more Hezbollah into the Lebanese government (and the Palestinians elected Hamas in Gaza). Syria held Hezbollah in check because Syria would have been held responsible for Hezbollah rocket attacks from Lebanon. Damascus would have been held liable. now, Syria can freely support Hezbollah (a poltical party) without any repercussions.
    Syria in Lebanon was a bad thing... but, Hezbollah is a much greater threat.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

And on a side note... remember how the expulsion of Syria from Lebanon was heralded by Bush (and his supporters here on the Moving Train) as proof of Democracy, spreading across the Arab world? And i said, 'Be careful what you wish for'?
    They voted in more Hezbollah into the Lebanese government (and the Palestinians elected Hamas in Gaza). Syria held Hezbollah in check because Syria would have been held responsible for Hezbollah rocket attacks from Lebanon. Damascus would have been held liable. now, Syria can freely support Hezbollah (a poltical party) without any repercussions.
    Syria in Lebanon was a bad thing... but, Hezbollah is a much greater threat.

Yep, But because the people who america did'nt want to win, have won those elections, they are now considered "corrupted elections" so still looked at as a problem.

It's only a fair election if the side you want to win, wins. According to america's mind anyway.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    Yep, But because the people who america did'nt want to win, have won those elections, they are now considered "corrupted elections" so still looked at as a problem.

It's only a fair election if the side you want to win, wins. According to america's mind anyway.
    I know... that is why I always call bullshit on Bush and those supporters that point to elections over there as proof of our security here.
    Look at Iraq... Shi'ite.. the same Shi'ite as Hezbollah and Iran and Ayatollah Khomeni and Muqtada al Sadr... you have to be a complete moron to think that a 60% Shi'ite nation is not going to elect a Shi'ite government... especially, when the people ask their local religious leader, whom to vote for.
    I will not be surprized if, in the near future, al Sadr or one of his radical fundamentalists are freely elected into power.
    I think the problem is ignorance. Americans don't know anything about the Middle East other than it's where our oil is and how to bomb it. Bush's legacy may well be as the President who handed over Iraq to Iran.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    MrBrian sed: Hez did'nt just start blasting rockets for no reason, they are the ones defending themselves.

Um. Sorry, gotta call bullshit on that one. The initiating action of the current hostilities was Hez's incursion into Israel (and ok, maybe we can debate the sheeba farms), the killing of 8 soldiers, the abduction of 2, all accompanied by ye good ol' blasting rockets.

So I ask -- defending themselves from what?

And no, nobody has said it wasn't a "fair" election. It probably was. No problem with the election. That's not the point at all.

They now have to live with the consequences of who they elected -- perhaps a fine line, but one nevertheless.

Democrats certainly make that point to republicans (well, AND that it wasn't a fair election) but Republicans are being asked to think about "what the world thinks of us" after electing Bush.... neh?
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    MrBrian wrote:

Arg, this occupation of Lebanon stuff is older than the hills. Why does everyone have such a short memory? Israel LEFT LEBANON, years ago. They are back because Hizbollah basically invited them in.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    UN officials contacted the Israeli army to inform them that a team of Chinese military engineers attached to the UN force in Lebanon intended to repair the bridge on the Beirut to Tyre road to enable the transport of humanitarian supplies.

According to the UN, Israeli officials said the engineers would become a target if they attempted to repair the bridge.

Senior UN officials reacted angrily to the destruction of a temporary causeway over the Litani river overnight. "We must be able to have movement throughout the country to deliver supplies. At this point we can't do that," said David Shearer, the humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon. "The deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure is a violation of international law."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1839442,00.html
    Can the U.N. bomb the fuck out of Isreal. You know, even things up.. Is that possible???
  • Options
    Can the U.N. bomb the fuck out of Isreal. You know, even things up.. Is that possible???

Oh man, you trying to get this thread closed too?
    And no, the UN has no bombs, sorry.

I'm still riffin off MrBrian's comment -- Hez "defending" themselves.
    Oh no, here comes the big bully for my lunch money. I know! I'll defend myself!
    (throws rocks at the bully's girlfriend)
    That'll teach him!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    -eastern Mount Dov area.
    ----
    -america is not respecting the choice of another peoples. (for example in palestine and hammas)

-Even if 2 israeli soldiers were captured in tel aviv, what israel is doing still can not be justified.

on another note, take "israeli" soldiers out and put in "nazi" soldiers, now for the people who support "israels right" I ask you this, would you support the right for the nazis to do what israel is doing in lebanon if it were nazi soldiers that were captured or killed?

Or is the oppression israel causes above or purer than the oppression the nazis caused? Because at the end of the day, Israel are the true aggressors like the nazis were.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    ... Even if 2 israeli soldiers were captured in tel aviv, what israel is doing still can not be justified.

on another note, take "israeli" soldiers out and put in "nazi" soldiers

Wow! You got this down!

the rules of argument deconstruction

1) if you cant address a specific issue - then change the argument to a broader issue

2) if you can't justify a specific instance (such as a propaganda event) then de-legitimize the concept (you must think all incidents are propaganda)

3) associate with the reprehensible (nazis)
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    Wow! You got this down!

You are out of your league
    ----

What exactly do you want? I'll be happy to dumb it down for you.
  • Options
    jsandjsand Posts: 646
    MrBrian wrote:
    -eastern Mount Dov area.
    ----
    -america is not respecting the choice of another peoples. (for example in palestine and hammas)

-Even if 2 israeli soldiers were captured in tel aviv, what israel is doing still can not be justified.

on another note, take "israeli" soldiers out and put in "nazi" soldiers, now for the people who support "israels right" I ask you this, would you support the right for the nazis to do what israel is doing in lebanon if it were nazi soldiers that were captured or killed?

Or is the oppression israel causes above or purer than the oppression the nazis caused? Because at the end of the day, Israel are the true aggressors like the nazis were.

This doesn't deserve a counter-argument. It's just plain pathetic.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    ----

What you posted is already extremely dumb.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    This was something else that confused me...
    When the last remaining bridge was destroyed to keep Hezbollah fighters from coming South to fight... didn't they also trap those people who were just trying to get the hell out ot there? And how is that U.S. supply line supposed to get those donated U.S. taxpayer aid to those refugees?
    I think Israel plans to completely occupy Lebanon.....I'm sure they'll make some profound statement about how the Lebanese people (after being cutoff from all aide for God knows how long) will welcome them as "liberators."

I'll be honest, I've got nothing against Jews whatsoever so anyone calling me racist can eat my shit, but from the start I've felt like Israel should be able to defend itself if needs be, but the tactics they're using just make me say to myself, "Goddamn Israel" over and over again.
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    This doesn't deserve a counter-argument. It's just plain pathetic.

Well since you don't agree with what I said and could not "counter" it, I can see why you feel it was pathetic.
  • Options
    tit for tat.

isnt this all about keeping tallys anyway??
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I've got nothing against Jews whatsoever so anyone calling me racist can eat my shit, but from the start I've felt like Israel should be able to defend itself if needs be, but the tactics they're using just make me say to myself, "Goddamn Israel" over and over again.

BINGO!

They Israeli army wouldn't stand a chance against a country with a real military. That's why they keep beating down the Palestinians and the Lebanese. Hizbollah wasn't justified in taking Israeli hostages, but Israel's response has been way out of proportion. It's a deliberate act of aggression dressed up as a response to so-called "terror"
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    ----

Yeah, please -- dumb down for me how these 2 captured israeli soliders are more important that the EIGHT KILLED during the RAID into Israel?

And your right, I'm clearly outta my league, I can't help but debate with facts, logic and a bit of opinion salted about! I never can remember to throw a few nazi bombs around, sheesh....
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    BINGO!

They Israeli army wouldn't stand a chance against a country with a real military. That's why they keep beating down the Palestinians and the Lebanese. Hizbollah wasn't justified in taking Israeli hostages, but Israel's response has been way out of proportion. It's a deliberate act of aggression dressed up as a response to so-called "terror"

Dude, don't be ridiculous. The Israeli army is widely regarded as one of the best in the world. Do you really how many wars against so-called real armies they've had to fight? The country has been besieged since its inception.
  • Options
    Dude, don't be ridiculous. The Israeli army is widely regarded as one of the best in the world. Do you really how many wars against so-called real armies they've had to fight? The country has been besieged since its inception.

I suppose we'll find out if they ever have to engage a real military.
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    I suppose we'll find out if they ever have to engage a real military.

You obviously know little or nothing about military strategy. Israel would love to face a real military - one that doesn't hide behind civilians and hides weapons in civilian homes. They would destroy a real military very easily. The reason this conflict is dragging on is because Hezbollah, like all terrorist organizations, fight like cowards. They even wear civilian clothing.
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    You obviously know little or nothing about military strategy. Israel would love to face a real military - one that doesn't hide behind civilians and hides weapons in civilian homes. They would destroy a real military very easily. The reason this conflict is dragging on is because Hezbollah, like all terrorist organizations, fight like cowards. They even wear civilian clothing.

and dropping bombs from way up high is a very heroic action?
  • Options
    jsand wrote:

Basically true ... Israel would love to take on Soviet-style militaries like those of Egypt and Syria in the 60s and 70s. Those fights were pretty one-sided, for the most part. Instead, they fight a guerilla enemy with basically no scruples. Same problem the American military is facing in Iraq ...
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    and dropping bombs from way up high is a very heroic action?

No, not bombs dropped on civilian areas. I just don't buy the Israeli as ineffectual bully argument. If anything, one could make the opposite argument. Why is such a solid military force killing so many non-combatants?
  • Options
    jsand wrote:
    The reason for this is obvious, jsand. And to explain it I'm going to borrow a quote from Ed....Israel is giving "George Bush a blowjob.....with your lips." I dare say that Israel would be wiped into the ocean just like much of the mid-east wants if it weren't for the oral reference above.