"Too Much Outside, Not Enough Inside"

TruthmongerTruthmonger Posts: 559
edited January 2007 in A Moving Train
These were the simple words of a recent immigrant to Canada. As a Canadian, and as a North American, I feel he was right. We in North America seem to be materialistic and narcissistic. We focus on the house, the car, the portfolio for retirement. Most of us only know one language. We know little about the classics. And we know even less about the world at large, and the "immenseness of suffering" that goes on daily.

Is this true in a general sense?.....and would the world look any different if the wealthy portions of this planet cared a little more ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    These were the simple words of a recent immigrant to Canada. As a Canadian, and as a North American, I feel he was right. We in North America seem to be materialistic and narcissistic. We focus on the house, the car, the portfolio for retirement. Most of us only know one language. We know little about the classics. And we know even less about the world at large, and the "immenseness of suffering" that goes on daily.

Is this true in a general sense?.....and would the world look any different if the wealthy portions of this planet cared a little more ?

There is probably some truth to what you say. I also feel North Americans should work on their 'innerness' whatever that may be. It may be why North Americans are so 'poor' spiritually(I refer to overall happiness) even though they have such big 'paper muscles' (money).
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I think there are a lot of North Americans who are like that, but there is also an equal amount who do care. In general though our society is a materialistic one. I don't think it's the dominent focus of our lives but we do tend to but to much importance on possessing luxury items.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    I feel so strongly about this topic that I can't even really get into it right now. Even when we think we have depth, we're so sadly missing the inner world in North America. I believe it is the western world altogether that shares in the inner vacuousness. We focus on objectivity and science and we collapse the value of, well, value.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    this is 100% correct ... we are a society of excess ... we value things that truly have no worth ... and we live a lifestyle that is at the expense of others ...

we do not pay the true costs for our way of life ... as for people in the other parts of the world - they aren't necessarily different deep down ... they just are not as fortunate - when they immigrate here, they develop many similar characteristics ... they do have a perspective however, many forget and join our selfish and excessive ways ...
  • angelica wrote:
    I feel so strongly about this topic that I can't even really get into it right now. Even when we think we have depth, we're so sadly missing the inner world in North America. I believe it is the western world altogether that shares in the inner vacuousness. We focus on objectivity and science and we collapse the value of, well, value.

Ya, I wasn't trying to suggest that we all need to become Ghandi or Mother Theresa..... but there is something horribly awry here. I've actually had friends whose whole being and consciousness revolved around what they owned. After a while, a very short while, it becomes revolting. You realize when talking to them that there's little else going on in their minds, their souls.
  • angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    Ya, I wasn't trying to suggest that we all need to become Ghandi or Mother Theresa..... but there is something horribly awry here. I've actually had friends whose whole being and consciousness revolved around what they owned. After a while, a very short while, it becomes revolting. You realize when talking to them that there's little else going on in their minds, their souls.
    And I'm definitely not Ghandi or Mother Theresa myself. I have not prioritised money, or external achievement in my life. Rather I've sought awareness and a raised consciousness. I find very few people who can even imagine what that is about, much less relate. And again, I've got all kinds of dysfunctional aspects to my nature.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • "Ya, I wasn't trying to suggest that we all need to become Ghandi or Mother Theresa..... but there is something horribly awry here. I've actually had friends whose whole being and consciousness revolved around what they owned. After a while, a very short while, it becomes revolting. You realize when talking to them that there's little else going on in their minds, their souls."

I can't agree with this enough. I have friends I've had my whole life and now I wonder who they are?! Their everything revolves around material possessions, completely warped ideas of what creates happiness... and meanwhile they are so damn unhappy in their own lives they are completely bitter. I really can't even begin to wrap my mind around it... I suppose we all have our own ideas of what happiness and abundance in life mean? It does make me sad.
    "The bottom line is that when we all plug in, Eddie can make us dance and play like little molecules bouncing off the wall. And, for whatever reason, we can make him feel like singing."
    - Stone Gossard, Musician Magazine, 1995