Options

Guantanamo Is A Joke, And A Metaphor For America's Foreign Policy

2»

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    too late lady macbeth, the blood is already on the US's hands.
    I'm not denying anything. I accept the fact that we are not the Good Guys we claim to be. We cry about 'September 11th' as justification to stop to the level of the former Soviet's and Nazis with our, 'Ve haf vays uf making you tolk'. I find it a grave disservice and dishonor to use the deaths of those people as an excuse to act like the ones we dispise so greatly.
    I truely wish we were a benevolent Super Power that provided a shining model to lead other... instead of force feeding them our form of living from the business end of a bayonette.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'm not denying anything. I accept the fact that we are not the Good Guys we claim to be. We cry about 'September 11th' as justification to stop to the level of the former Soviet's and Nazis with our, 'Ve haf vays uf making you tolk'. I find it a grave disservice and dishonor to use the deaths of those people as an excuse to act like the ones we dispise so greatly.
    I truely wish we were a benevolent Super Power that provided a shining model to lead other... instead of force feeding them our form of living from the business end of a bayonette.

i didnt say you were in denial.
    and i still cant get bush saying, 'we are a peaceful nation' out of my head. and him wondering out loud why would anyone want to attack the US. i hoped that 9/11 would give the US a chance to show what could be accomplished with a little restraint. that they wouldn't go off the deep end and use it as an excuse to destroy another country. i was wrong on both counts but sadly not at all surprised.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    For some reason I had an image in my head of you being in your 20's. And I've always said that presumptuousness is one of the biggest evils. :)
    No... I've been around.
    I know what it was like as 18 approached and I saw guys I played Little League with get swept up and sent to Viet Nam. It was fucking scary going to the Selective Service and passing the physical and getting a Draft Card assigned to me... then, waiting for the fucking lottery. My family was blue collar and couldn't pay for college. If I was in the lower half... I was going in.
    as luck would have it... my birthday came up as number 316.
    The guys I knew that got drafted didn't go to Viet Nam... but, in 1972... no one knew is war was going to break out in Cambodia or Nicaragua. Looking back... yeah... we were never at risk. But, go back to 1972 and tell us that. We'd say you were crazy or on LSD.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    i didnt say you were in denial.
    and i still cant get bush saying, 'we are a peaceful mantion' out of my head. and him wondering out loud why would anyone want to attack the US. i hoped that 9/11 would give the US a chance to show what could be accomplished with a little restraint. that they wouldn't go off the deep end and use it as an excuse to destroy another country. i was wrong on both counts but sadly not at all surprised.
    Trust me... you will have to look long and wide to find someone who is more proud of being American or more of a patriot than myself. And do not mistake patriotism with guns or militarism... patriotism is based upon principles and character, not muzzle velocity and caliber. I am pained at what has happened to my country by this President and his ring of minions.
    We had a golden... once in a lifetime opportunity to really lead the world after what happened on September 11th, 2001. The world was on our side. Even people who thought we were assholes said, "Yeah... you guys can be assholes... but, no one deserves that". We could have lead the countries that are sick of a small group of religious fanatics holding the rest of us hostage by using fear. As a 'Christian Nation'... why couldn't we have taken a lesson from Jesus and let them strike us and ask them, Why? I believe we could have and should have done a complete restoration of Afghanistan and helped them build a country of THEIR choosing, not ours. We could have lead the other nations of the world to figure out how to end terrorism... on every continent.
    Instead... what do we do? We do stupid shit and use fear that makes people who were on our side prior to September 11th, 2001 say, "Wow. You guys ARE arrogant assholes... maybe you DID deserve that shit".
    So, yeah... I think we blew it. It makes me sick. I love America and I love being American. And let it be known... you can love America and hate what she is doing. I just wish that America would do as she claims to be. Not just use it as a masque to hide her evil intentions.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Guantanamo is what Bush's calls his cock
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    So, yeah... I think we blew it. It makes me sick. I love America and I love being American. And let it be known... you can love America and hate what she is doing. I just wish that America would do as she claims to be. Not just use it as a masque to hide her evil intentions.

i totally understand. there are many of us on this board from countries other than the US who are deeply pained by what our governments are doing in our so called name for the so called greater good(whatever the hell that is).
    i do not see the US has some big evil. i see her as just terribly misguided. i see her as having the chance to do so much good and blowing it big time.

and i know some americans are gonna say 'well why does it have to be us that does it all the time. why does everyone turn to the US all the time?' and to them i say read some history and you will see why. and how it all came about. it is not that we turn instinctly towards washington, it's more that washington has taken the reigns and wont slacken them.
    and quite frankly if you do know your history and still see the US as the eternal good guys then you're a fool.(general statement not aimed at any individual)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Guantanamo is what Bush's calls his cock
    If I believed in Heaven and Hell... I'd believe that George Walker Bush would end up in a lake of fire with a 12 volt car battery wired to his testicles for the next several eternities.
    Why? Well, because I would believe that there is no way you are getting into Heaven with that much blood on your hands... no matter how much forgiveness you ask for... then, grant to yourself.
    I guess it's a good thing for President Bush that I don't believe in Heaven or Hell.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    TruthmongerTruthmonger Posts: 559
    i totally understand. there are many of us on this board from countries other than the US who are deeply pained by what our governments are doing in our so called name for the so called greater good(whatever the hell that is).
    i do not see the US has some big evil. i see her as just terribly misguided. i see her as having the chance to do so much good and blowing it big time.

and i know some americans are gonna say 'well why does it have to be us that does it all the time. why does everyone turn to the US all the time?' and to them i say read some history and you will see why. and how it all came about. it is not that we turn instinctly towards washington, it's more that washington has taken the reigns and wont slacken them.
    and quite frankly if you do know your history and still see the US as the eternal good guys then you're a fool.(general statement not aimed at any individual)

To all the people out there who think Bush/America doesn't have a clue, I have only one word to say: dignitude.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    To all the people out there who think Bush/America doesn't have a clue, I have only one word to say: dignitude.

:D My faith is restored!
  • Options

ive never said the bush administration didn't know what it was doing. they know exactly what it is they're doing. they just have no regard for the blood that is being shed or the lives being lost. it's just collateral damage afterall.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    SpecificsSpecifics Posts: 417
    Cosmo wrote:
    Trust me... you will have to look long and wide to find someone who is more proud of being American or more of a patriot than myself. And do not mistake patriotism with guns or militarism... patriotism is based upon principles and character, not muzzle velocity and caliber. I am pained at what has happened to my country by this President and his ring of minions.
    We had a golden... once in a lifetime opportunity to really lead the world after what happened on September 11th, 2001. The world was on our side. Even people who thought we were assholes said, "Yeah... you guys can be assholes... but, no one deserves that". We could have lead the countries that are sick of a small group of religious fanatics holding the rest of us hostage by using fear. As a 'Christian Nation'... why couldn't we have taken a lesson from Jesus and let them strike us and ask them, Why? I believe we could have and should have done a complete restoration of Afghanistan and helped them build a country of THEIR choosing, not ours. We could have lead the other nations of the world to figure out how to end terrorism... on every continent.
    Instead... what do we do? We do stupid shit and use fear that makes people who were on our side prior to September 11th, 2001 say, "Wow. You guys ARE arrogant assholes... maybe you DID deserve that shit".

Just thought that deserved an Amen dude

Amen

It was a massive opportunity, not just for America either. It was Americas opportunity to show real dignity and say "ok, we've been a little selfish other there, lets do things differently" no, now theres a guaranteed threat for many years to come.
    And i tell you what really pisses me off about Britains part in all this; We have a pretty fucking cool multi-cultural thing going on over here. The main reason they are here is because they are invited over to boost the workforce, you know, they work cheaper thems the facts, and they do jobs we dont want to, and thus they improve the economy to the point where the British pound is stronger than fucking superman because of it.
    So then we get a chance to pull everyone together, say "look this is our way of life, its pretty cool isnt it? now we need our muslim friends help here, we need to root out people that want to hurt what we have, we need to work together, infiltrate and destroy this threat, we dont want to go kill loads of innocents in a bullshit war, lets be calm and get it done nicely" but no.
    Blair does his best to spread fear and mistrust amongst the whole fucking population. The only reason things haven't gone completely tits up is because 90% of people are decent, peaceful people who want to live as cool a life as possible and just dont buy any of that shit. No thanks to Blair and his rhetoric we're still pretty cool actually.

Thats it.