Options

Maher Arar: The Shit Hits The Fan

TruthmongerTruthmonger Posts: 559
edited August 2007 in A Moving Train
It just gets uglier and uglier. Now its come to light that CSIS knew just 2 days after he was deported by the CIA that he was likely going to be tortured. Nice. They also found out early on that he was not a threat. So, why let the Americans ship him out ? Why didn't they follow up to get him released from Syria? (John Ibbitson of the Globe and Mail writes that it was to appease the Americans). Why did the Canadian gov't lie through its teeth to make 1500 words classified under the guise of national security, when it clearly wasn't ? Its a fucking joke. The CIA, the Bush administration, CSIS and the RCMP are looking like idiots. On the topic of security, here 's what the Globe and Mail wrote in its main editorial:

"The next time the Canadian gov't tells you it has secrets it needs to keep to protect national security, feel free to laugh out loud".

Here's an article from a Halifax paper:

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/852440.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I heard him being interviewed on Democracy Now several times and his story almost brought me to tears. This could have been me or anyone else if they chose to kidnap whomever. I hope he can get some compensation but I doubt it. I love the way the US denies any involvement in that the torture was done in another country Syria or Egypt I believe.

The US probably bullied Canada into playing along with this kidnapping but I hope more of this story comes out in the future.

Peace
    Earle
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    I heard him being interviewed on Democracy Now several times and his story almost brought me to tears. This could have been me or anyone else if they chose to kidnap whomever. I hope he can get some compensation but I doubt it. I love the way the US denies any involvement in that the torture was done in another country Syria or Egypt I believe.

The US probably bullied Canada into playing along with this kidnapping but I hope more of this story comes out in the future.

Peace
    Earle

Well, he did get compensated $10 million bucks !! But of course, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. There's just so many unanswered questions about this whole thing. For example, after the recent investigation/report done in Canada, Arar was conpletely cleared of any ties to terrorism. But after the report came out, it was asked WHY ARAR WAS STILL ON THE U.S. NO-FLY LIST. The U.S. response was that they have their own intel that suggested otherwise about Arar. Well, we now know that was bullshit. He wasn't a threat and the Americans knew it all along. This thing reeks to high heaven.