Options

Politics of Childress, TX

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited December 2008 in A Moving Train
Today is election day and the citizens of Childress, Texas are deciding weather or not to allow the sale of alcohol. This is the town where I currently reside and was actually born and raised here. 6000 people in West Texas and in a good location - THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. There are many benefits to making the county "wet" and only fears and pretentious holding it back. Currently, everyone goes 7 miles to Tell, TX or 15 miles to Estiline, TX for beer, alcohol. If you don't want to leave town, you go to the friendly neighborhood bootleggers (where you could also get a joint, if you want). And we have three bars that pretend to be "private" clubs, so anyone who wants to drink already is. The churches are trying their hardest to prevent this change by playing on rediculous fears and "social darwinism" bitterness. I will still be drinking no matter the outcome, but I sure would like to have a nice bar to go to, and more than that, I would like to have a beer at a resturant. The tax benefits(police force in dire need of) and possibility of new businesses are the angles the proponents are pushing. Most people I associate with are voting "wet". A few sheep have bought into the fears, and I have teased them non-stop and given them some logic, but the preachers are thinking for them. I told most of them I was "praying" that we go wet.

Ya know, I always thought that everyone must think their hometown is the most pretentious, full of shit town. But if this measure doesn't pass, its true: Childress is the most pretentious town in America. And I'd prefer to be proud of my hometown, instead of jealous of near-by Quanah, whose citizens stood up to their churches' ignorance.

Well, wish "wet" dreams for Childress, TX. May be we'll get out of the dark-ages someday.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Today is election day and the citizens of Childress, Texas are deciding weather or not to allow the sale of alcohol. This is the town where I currently reside and was actually born and raised here. 6000 people in West Texas and in a good location - THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. There are many benefits to making the county "wet" and only fears and pretentious holding it back. Currently, everyone goes 7 miles to Tell, TX or 15 miles to Estiline, TX for beer, alcohol. If you don't want to leave town, you go to the friendly neighborhood bootleggers (where you could also get a joint, if you want). And we have three bars that pretend to be "private" clubs, so anyone who wants to drink already is. The churches are trying their hardest to prevent this change by playing on rediculous fears and "social darwinism" bitterness. I will still be drinking no matter the outcome, but I sure would like to have a nice bar to go to, and more than that, I would like to have a beer at a resturant. The tax benefits(police force in dire need of) and possibility of new businesses are the angles the proponents are pushing. Most people I associate with are voting "wet". A few sheep have bought into the fears, and I have teased them non-stop and given them some logic, but the preachers are thinking for them. I told most of them I was "praying" that we go wet.

Ya know, I always thought that everyone must think their hometown is the most pretentious, full of shit town. But if this measure doesn't pass, its true: Childress is the most pretentious town in America. And I'd prefer to be proud of my hometown, instead of jealous of near-by Quanah, whose citizens stood up to their churches' ignorance.

Well, wish "wet" dreams for Childress, TX. May be we'll get out of the dark-ages someday.
    Good luck.
    And thank you...I keep forgetting I have to go vote. :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

Still a few "dry" counties around the metro Birmingham, Alabama area.....keeping the bootleggers in business, I guess. Our laws now allow cities in dry counties to vote for the wet option.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    i live in a dry county. no shortage of drunks though
  • Options
    Yay!!! Its a celebration day here in Childress. Some people got really angry I heard, but I sure gave a lot of high fives and enjoyed and gloated. I can't wait to WALK to get beer and then carry that brown paper bag on the streets, probably have to walk in front of the Church of Christ on Sunday. It was a close one, glad I voted.

789 - happy voters

782 - can suck it
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792

I drove through Childress this weekend on the way to Taos. You know you would think that they would realize that the people that are going to drink are going to make the drive for alchohol and im sure some will start the party in the car. Leading to a increased chance of drinking and driving.

Sidenote: Are cops always parked outside of Quanah? My buddy got a ticket passing through both ways in Quanah on the same trip. We definitely watch out for it now.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    How can a town of 6000 be in 'dire' need of money for their police force?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    My in-laws live in Quanah and just went through the same thing not too long ago. It is nice being able to go there and buy alcohol now...not much else to do in that town. The people there were all upset because one of their favorite diners converted into a liqour store, lol.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763

You won't see the revenue that you've been led to believe. Especially if liquor can be purchased just a couple of miles away. Now if you lived in a place where it was hundreds of miles away, you might see an increase.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    You won't see the revenue that you've been led to believe. Especially if liquor can be purchased just a couple of miles away. Now if you lived in a place where it was hundreds of miles away, you might see an increase.

There will be some revenue... I went to college in what was a dry town (with a beer distributor on the outskirts and other wet towns a few miles away). A few years ago the town voted in favor of selling alcohol, and there are now a handful of bar/restaurants that have been built and they are doing well. I would assume the construction jobs to build them, service jobs and alcohol taxes have helped the town.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    How can a town of 6000 be in 'dire' need of money for their police force?

Well, we keep losing officers and always for the same reason: they don't get paid enough. They either move on to better paying towns or go to regular jobs. We know this because it comes out in the local paper everytime we lose one. I don't remember the last time we were fully staffed in the police dept. or the shreriff's.
  • Options
    There will be some revenue... I went to college in what was a dry town (with a beer distributor on the outskirts and other wet towns a few miles away). A few years ago the town voted in favor of selling alcohol, and there are now a handful of bar/restaurants that have been built and they are doing well. I would assume the construction jobs to build them, service jobs and alcohol taxes have helped the town.

a college in a dry town? that sounds truly terrible. That would be an immediate deal killer to me.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    MrSmith wrote:
    i live in a dry county. no shortage of drunks though

Why don't the drunks just move to somewhere where they can easily get their liquor?
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    a college in a dry town? that sounds truly terrible. That would be an immediate deal killer to me.

Actually it was kinda cool... and a lot cheaper! You could still go an buy kegs and liquor a few miles away, and instead of spending a ton of money at a bar, you could walk into any of the huge parties everywhere, pay $3 to get in and get a cup, and drink all night for free.

We learned to become more creative partiers without bars to go to.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Actually it was kinda cool... and a lot cheaper! You could still go an buy kegs and liquor a few miles away, and instead of spending a ton of money at a bar, you could walk into any of the huge parties everywhere, pay $3 to get in and get a cup, and drink all night for free.

We learned to become more creative partiers without bars to go to.

To me that would seem a lot more sketchy. I mean at least when I go to a bar I know to some extent there are bouncers around. Plus with real bars they have to meet certain requirements to get liquor and business licenses (such as fire safety and not serving people already drunk). I am not saying any of your parties were like this but I could totally see (based on some of the parties I ended up at in University) how it could be a problem.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Today is election day and the citizens of Childress, Texas are deciding weather

holy cow, you mean you control all the rain in texas?
  • Options
    To me that would seem a lot more sketchy. I mean at least when I go to a bar I know to some extent there are bouncers around. Plus with real bars they have to meet certain requirements to get liquor and business licenses (such as fire safety and not serving people already drunk). I am not saying any of your parties were like this but I could totally see (based on some of the parties I ended up at in University) how it could be a problem.

Not serving people already drunk? isn't that what college is all about? :)

I can kinda see what you were saying, and I'm sure that there were some fire code issues we ignored (some apartments got PACKED), but there was never any fighting or anything (except at the frat houses)... we must have all just been happy drunks.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Not serving people already drunk? isn't that what college is all about? :)

I can kinda see what you were saying, and I'm sure that there were some fire code issues we ignored (some apartments got PACKED), but there was never any fighting or anything (except at the frat houses)... we must have all just been happy drunks.

Those sound like pretty cool parties. Probably the majority of house parties are like that, but I think I could totally see how in a dry town a whole underground party scene could develop that might not be as good.

And I totally get what you are saying about not serving people who are already drunk. Only time I have ever seen anyone not get served is when they are so drunk their neck doesn't have the strength to keep their head up. It seems to be one of those rules that no one ever follows.
  • Options
    Yay!!! Its a celebration day here in Childress. Some people got really angry I heard, but I sure gave a lot of high fives and enjoyed and gloated. I can't wait to WALK to get beer and then carry that brown paper bag on the streets, probably have to walk in front of the Church of Christ on Sunday. It was a close one, glad I voted.

789 - happy voters

782 - can suck it

What do you have against the Church of Christ? I here the CofC guy is a nice guy. How about the Baptist or Methodist? Don't you want to rub it in their noses?
  • Options
    What do you have against the Church of Christ? I here the CofC guy is a nice guy. How about the Baptist or Methodist? Don't you want to rub it in their noses?

hmmm...... wonder who you are. The Church of the Christ's members are the ones that had the "vote no" yellow signs in their front yard. I think its safe to say they are the most pretentious group in town. Baptist have to be pretty close. As a group, the methodist have to be the most down-to-earth group - but I could be bias ;)

The election makes me feel better about Childress still. I'd love to see a bar down town. Somebody could make it look classy and have some good dark beers and wines and such. They'd have to have all the bud light, but keep the price higher than the V in order to keep out the riff-raff. A nice bar attached to a nice resturant would be cool. Leather, dark wood, low lights, fire place - ya know.

Overall, I'm happy about the victory. Its like the Cowboys winning the superbowl, but the results being tangible for me.
  • Options
    Use to live there. Heard about the yellow signs, but heard they were all the churches doing it. I watched the election closely. Anxious to see if Childress grows as much as the "wet side" said they were going to.
  • Options
    Use to live there. Heard about the yellow signs, but heard they were all the churches doing it. I watched the election closely. Anxious to see if Childress grows as much as the "wet side" said they were going to.

I doubt there will be much growth from it. I don't really care if it grows or not. I guess it would be cool if it got up to Vernon's size. It will be nice to have a beer at a resturant. I don't really drink that much, but it will be nice to pick it up in town. Like I said, its the victory against that certain state of mind so prevelant here that I'm most pleased with.

The best thing that could happen to this town would be a junior college, IMO.

So, when did you leave? This is only you second post, did you join just to discuss this?
  • Options
    I left about 5 years ago. Still love the little town.

I was searching the internet for info on Childress and hit this site. Being away from Childress I still miss it. I was wanting to know what was going on. I heard lots of stories about this, but wasn't sure what was true and what wasn't.

As for Childress' attitude, it's a small rural town ... and old ideas die slowly in towns like this. The vote "yes" was huge.

I'd heard that the "wet" side was afraid to come out and say who they were. All their adds were anonymous because they were afraid of something. I couldn't understand that. If it was so right to go wet, why were they afraid to say who they were supporting it?

As for beer in with a pizza, I bet most of the food establishments start serving. If money is to be made. I'm sure there will be some stores open that'll just sell alcohol, like in Estellene.

Enjoying your discussion.
  • Options
    I left about 5 years ago. Still love the little town.

I was searching the internet for info on Childress and hit this site. Being away from Childress I still miss it. I was wanting to know what was going on. I heard lots of stories about this, but wasn't sure what was true and what wasn't.

As for Childress' attitude, it's a small rural town ... and old ideas die slowly in towns like this. The vote "yes" was huge.

I'd heard that the "wet" side was afraid to come out and say who they were. All their adds were anonymous because they were afraid of something. I couldn't understand that. If it was so right to go wet, why were they afraid to say who they were supporting it?

As for beer in with a pizza, I bet most of the food establishments start serving. If money is to be made. I'm sure there will be some stores open that'll just sell alcohol, like in Estellene.

Enjoying your discussion.

I think it was huge. And I'm sure plenty were afraid to come out and say they were going to vote yes. But I certainly wasn't in that crowd. My grandad and I were both very loud supporters of the change. So was about everyone that was hanging out at the Wired Rabbit, Roby Todd's diner. I knew some that didn't want Wanda Hill (hilltop in tell) to think they were betraying her. But people here are just so conscience of what is thought of them in the community. You could loose your job if you do something ugly in your private life, if its public or private. Its rediculous, I know, but that is really the way it is. I personally have never given a shit.

So you still love Childress??? Thats not a statement to hear. My mom, sister and dad all left and don't even like to come back to visit very often. I never did like it, but now I really kind of like it now. And I actually think I could stay here for a long time. I have a good job, so does my fiance, plus I'm over that youthful need for the city/ night life, so.....

I'm really wondering who you are. Five years ago I was living in Paducah, but I was born and raised here in Childress. And I've wound up back here many times.
  • Options
    A few of the local churches passed around a petition to put alcohol back on the ballot this year. One guy refused and the church "deleted" his memebership role, WTF?!? He submitted the letter the church sent him to the local paper, and that helped raise awareness.

I would like to tell the churches that the only reasons they want it it dry are delusional fears or, most likely, just plain spite. Most know that no more or less people will consume alcohol and that nothing has really changed in the past year, except for a few more jobs being available. Most are just concerned with being a jerk and pretending that they are somehow better than others. I actually did send a similar message to the church that kicked the guy out.

And I submitted this paid political ad for today's paper:

LOGIC SUPPORTS CHILDRESS REMAINING WET

Support businesses that have come in to town and the businesses that were already here that now sell alcohol. One local store invested $250,000 to sell beer and wine, and alcohol sales are very good for all participating stores.

Promote new businesses that may come to town and provide jobs for the community.

Local people who want alcohol will get it; don’t send their money and the tax revenue out of town.

No more or less people here consume alcohol, as evidenced by the fact that the DUI count is the same this year as it was at this time last year. Crime has not changed in general.

Keep the hunter’s and traveler’s business here by providing this very popular product.

Childress is a shopping center for many surrounding towns, it is only logical to add this product to all the other reasons people shop here.

More towns in the area are becoming wet each year; show the region that we will continue to make the logical and thoughtful decisions.

While the economy of most America appears unstable, the future for our area looks promising. Take responsible action for Childress’s economy and vote to keep Childress WET!
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    it won by 7 votes? that's awesome.

i remember when we couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays here in Mass, and i thought that was ridiculous.
  • Options
    Well, Alcohol stayed in Childress. Actually by a 2 to 1 ratio this time! Far cry from the 7 votes last year.
  • Options
    Maybe people would be more open to hearing your 'logic' if you didn't seem so hostile. I understand and agree the situation is ridiculous but you should work from a point of bringing understanding instead of dominating and gloating.
    'and I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my brother'

'How a culture can forget its plan of yesterday
    and you swear it's not a trend
    it doesn't matter anyway
    there's no need to talk as friends
    nothing news everyday
    all the kids will eat it up
    if it's packaged properly'
  • Options
    Maybe people would be more open to hearing your 'logic' if you didn't seem so hostile. I understand and agree the situation is ridiculous but you should work from a point of bringing understanding instead of dominating and gloating.

Did you actually read it? Doesn't seem hostile at all to me, just ... logical. Its a small town; all I heard was compliments on the article. There were some articles firing back at mine, but they looked kinda rediculous (I guess, my "logic" is just dominating in nature). Like I said the vote was 2 to 1 in favor of alcohol remaining this time around. Certainly my article didn't hurt, but after all was done, I should have just spent the money on beer. We were never going to go back wet; it was just kinda scarry after only passing by 7 the year before and no one was talking about it, no articles in the paper, no signs in the yards like we had year before.
  • Options
    Did you actually read it? Doesn't seem hostile at all to me, just ... logical. Its a small town; all I heard was compliments on the article. There were some articles firing back at mine, but they looked kinda rediculous (I guess, my "logic" is just dominating in nature). Like I said the vote was 2 to 1 in favor of alcohol remaining this time around. Certainly my article didn't hurt, but after all was done, I should have just spent the money on beer. We were never going to go back wet; it was just kinda scarry after only passing by 7 the year before and no one was talking about it, no articles in the paper, no signs in the yards like we had year before.

I wasn't referring to your ad but the way you said you called them sheep and made fun of them and how you took joy in gloating
    'and I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my brother'

'How a culture can forget its plan of yesterday
    and you swear it's not a trend
    it doesn't matter anyway
    there's no need to talk as friends
    nothing news everyday
    all the kids will eat it up
    if it's packaged properly'
  • Options
    Grace7Grace7 Posts: 53
    Well, Alcohol stayed in Childress. Actually by a 2 to 1 ratio this time! Far cry from the 7 votes last year.
    CHEERS!!!!
    this thread is hilarious!

CHEERS AGAIN!