Facebook, blogs, and all that crap...

T C HT C H Posts: 85
edited February 2008 in The Porch
It seems like i am the only person on earth who doesn't facebook and doesnt want to, and i hate blogs. What the hell is with this generation? Everyone wants to write all the boring crap that is happening in there lives online for everyone to read. And i tell you what is even worse, those losers who think that they are really intellectual and write stuff on 'current issues'. Give me a break!
I just thought I would bring this up cos it pisses me off that PJ have myspace and facebook pages... it is really sad i think...

Anyway.. Who is with me, does all this blogging and facebooking suck or what????
I've got a Gibson without a case, but I can't get that even tanned look on my face...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 927
    I'm with you on the Facebook and Myspace thing but there are some good blogs out there. I have a blog but it's not about me at all really. Just sharing some bootlegs or whatever.

No need to judge people because they do have any of those things though.
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Facebook is awesome at saving international call costs when you've got friends all over the world. If you don't understand just how useful this is for us globally-minded folks, eh, your loss.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • danedane Posts: 1,062
    I have a facebook profile. Created it about half a year ago and it has helped me get in contact with at least 10 people that I went to school with years ago, that I had lost contact with. It's interesting to see how their lives has evolved.
    I agree that most blogs are boring and seems a total waste of time, but some are interesting, fun and informative.
    I can't really see the difference between PJ having a Myspace and Facebook profile and them having a messagepit like this. It's just a place where fans come to share their love for the band and keep up to date.
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • T C HT C H Posts: 85
    Thanks for the opinions folks. I get your point about keeping in touch with people overseas.. I guess they could be useful tools for that, but i guess im just an old fashioned person and prefer more personal modes of contact such as email, txt, and phonecalls. And i hate the idea of posting pics of oneself up for everyone to see (at least facebook is a bit more secure than myspace is in that regard).
    in regards to blogs, the one time i did stumble across one that was worth reading, the author ended up shutting it down because his honesty and outspokenness was making him lose friends in 'real life'
    I've got a Gibson without a case, but I can't get that even tanned look on my face...
  • T C H wrote:
    Thanks for the opinions folks. I get your point about keeping in touch with people overseas.. I guess they could be useful tools for that, but i guess im just an old fashioned person and prefer more personal modes of contact such as email, txt, and phonecalls. And i hate the idea of posting pics of oneself up for everyone to see (at least facebook is a bit more secure than myspace is in that regard).
    in regards to blogs, the one time i did stumble across one that was worth reading, the author ended up shutting it down because his honesty and outspokenness was making him lose friends in 'real life'

Myspace can be locked down just fine. You can have it set to private, make comments password protected as well as friend requests can be password protected as well.
    NERDS!
  • yeah you're right, this whole internet fad's about to run it's course. Ican't wait until we go back to rotary phones.
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    T C H wrote:
    It seems like i am the only person on earth who doesn't facebook and doesnt want to, and i hate blogs. What the hell is with this generation? Everyone wants to write all the boring crap that is happening in there lives online for everyone to read. And i tell you what is even worse, those losers who think that they are really intellectual and write stuff on 'current issues'. Give me a break!
    I just thought I would bring this up cos it pisses me off that PJ have myspace and facebook pages... it is really sad i think...

Anyway.. Who is with me, does all this blogging and facebooking suck or what????
    I'm with you on that.
    I had a Myspace account but got sick and tired of deleting comments from freinds/spammers. i.e. "dude, you're ghey" "you're a dick" "yo...there's a party on blah blah," I know there are mod buttons for the users to control...but since I hardly go on it I don't really moderate it; plus it's just boring to me. I just deleted it.

I actually prefer Message Boards/Forums. I'm currently using about 6 different forums; the Pit for PJ/shits and giggles, another for writing tips. the four others are for free downloading purposes, [size=-7]including an underground site where there's only a few dozen of us.[/size]
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • I can understand its use for keeping in touch with people who are out of the country, but overall, I think it's lame.

I see people in my clinic looking at the profiles of their friends, who they'll see that night. If you are looking to contact someone who lives 5 minutes from you, why don't you use the f*cking phone? Email already depersonalizes things.

If it were me, and I know it's not everyone's intention, I'd feel kind of full of myself thinking all my pictures and all my information is so interesting to others that I must post it on the internet for them to see. That's one reason I never made a profile on any of those sites- I just don't feel like there's that many people who are dying to know my religious affiliation, find my favorite food, or see that picture of me from that vacation I took 2 years ago. I don't know, I just don't get it.

But the overseas thing does make sense.
  • I'll take the opportunity now to say:

http://www.myspace.com/finallyheather

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585837610

CHECK ME OUT AND ADD ME IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE ;)

just kidding....but seriously I'm lonely
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    No I don't have any of it either, just can't be bothered.

Email works just fine for me for keeping in touch with those outside my local area.
  • I'll take the opportunity now to say:

http://www.myspace.com/finallyheather

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585837610

CHECK ME OUT AND ADD ME IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE ;)

just kidding....but seriously I'm lonely

i friended you :)

i personally like facebook a lot better...and i use it to stay in touch with old friends (i moved after high school so it's great to see what they're up to)...and my "new" friends here. i am also a big fan of texts/emails, but sometimes it's just as easy to send them a message via facebook/myspace. kinda like sending a PM here.

as for the pictures, i make all my stuff private and only my friends can see what i put up there. facebook's got something even better where you can show certain friends your full profile, and others only partial. they definitely have the privacy options if you take the time to go through them.

but my cousin who lives in south carolina had a birthday party and i want to see the pics...i just go check them out. the internet rules.
    it's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind...
  • nuzpapernuzpaper Posts: 211
    T C H wrote:

Nice Blog;)
    Toronto 96, Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Ottawa 05, Toronto 05, Toronto 06, Toronto 06, Denver 06, Denver 06, Chicago 07, New York 08, New York 08...I'm just getting started
  • Hinny wrote:
    Facebook is awesome at saving international call costs when you've got friends all over the world. If you don't understand just how useful this is for us globally-minded folks, eh, your loss.

couldn't have put it better myself :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Everyone has their own opinions and preferences, but to discount an entire technological subculture simply because you have not personally experienced the benefits of social networking or blogging is a small-minded thing to do.

I despise Star Wars, but I respect that many people love it. Its just not for me, so I steer clear. That would be my recommendation for you and the blogosphere.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    I can understand its use for keeping in touch with people who are out of the country, but overall, I think it's lame.

I see people in my clinic looking at the profiles of their friends, who they'll see that night. If you are looking to contact someone who lives 5 minutes from you, why don't you use the f*cking phone? Email already depersonalizes things.

If it were me, and I know it's not everyone's intention, I'd feel kind of full of myself thinking all my pictures and all my information is so interesting to others that I must post it on the internet for them to see. That's one reason I never made a profile on any of those sites- I just don't feel like there's that many people who are dying to know my religious affiliation, find my favorite food, or see that picture of me from that vacation I took 2 years ago. I don't know, I just don't get it.

But the overseas thing does make sense.

this is a perfect post right here.

i have seen my wife do this and it really irritates me. she never did it often and i don't think she visits those sites much anymore because she does more productive things online...

and it seems like it turns into somewhat of a competition with kids today...see who can have the most "friends", pictures, best looking site...

get out, play some video games instead...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • brainofPJ wrote:

get out, play some video games instead...

that's what I do..

after posting bulletins on myspace..
    haha!!

man... i got to get back to work..!
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06