Options

Real Justice is public humiliation.

truroutetruroute Posts: 251
edited December 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-127iamthief,0,2148179.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

**This rocks, and props the the judge for this and not jail time.**

edit: 1 guy did goto jail, not sure why.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I dig it. There are many Americans who should be wearing "I STOLE WHAT YOU WORKED FOR" signs for a day or two.
  • Options
    qtegirlqtegirl Posts: 321
    I think this is great too... and probably way more effective than jail time
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Phenominal, much more effective than prison time in cases such as this.

Now, interestingly enough tie this to a non violent drug offender. Have them walk through a bar with a sign that reads....I smoked and possessed pot. Makes no freaking sense does it? Neither does incarceration. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I don't think so. Some people just don't care. Heck, I see plenty of people CHOOSING to do things that would be humiliating for me.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I don't think so. Some people just don't care. Heck, I see plenty of people CHOOSING to do things that would be humiliating for me.

See, here's the thing. This turns into real justice when the person with an "I AM A THEIF" sign is turned away at the grocery store. Humiliation is not where the justice is found. Society's reaction to the information is where justice is found.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    See, here's the thing. This turns into real justice when the person with an "I AM A THEIF" sign is turned away at the grocery store. Humiliation is not where the justice is found. Society's reaction to the information is where justice is found.

Sure - but I still think people just don't care. I don't think the grocery store would turn him away. Heck, I'm positive Wal-Mart wouldn't! :)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Sure - but I still think people just don't care. I don't think the grocery store would turn him away. Heck, I'm positive Wal-Mart wouldn't! :)

Yep -- goes to show where some of the unseen problems with our system of justice lie.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i like it. right back to 1800. can we get a scarlet 'A' to put on my whore of a cheating wife too? maybe we can go back to branding criminals... you know, the mark of the pirate and whatnot. so everyone will always know.
  • Options
    i like it. right back to 1800. can we get a scarlet 'A' to put on my whore of a cheating wife too? maybe we can go back to branding criminals... you know, the mark of the pirate and whatnot. so everyone will always know.

This is specious logic.

The injustice of 1800 is not "branding". The injustice is branding someone for being a "whore of a cheating wife", something that should not be considered a crime.

Would you be ok with imprisoning whores?
  • Options
    This is specious logic.

The injustice of 1800 is not "branding". The injustice is branding someone for being a "whore of a cheating wife", something that should not be considered a crime.

Would you be ok with imprisoning whores?

no, i would not. my point is this practice of public shaming as punishment for criminal behavior went out of vogue a long time ago and for good reason. executions used to be public entertainment. we all headed down to watch the hangings. should we truly go back to that, to really send a signal?

it's barbaric.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    no, i would not. my point is this practice of public shaming as punishment for criminal behavior went out of vogue a long time ago and for good reason. executions used to be public entertainment. we all headed down to watch the hangings. should we truly go back to that, to really send a signal?

it's barbaric.
    Yeah, shaming people for issues that stem from shame to begin with might not be the best idea. Unfortunately many of us aren't willing to support what the experts know. We're too wrapped up in our own toxic shame and perpetuating the cycles.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options

it's barbaric.

No, we certainly should not go back to hangings. But public hangings aren't bad because they're public, they're bad because they're hangings. Justice is not and cannot be anonymous. Justice is the process of judging a man for his actions. Without the man, without knowledge of the actions, justice is impossible.
  • Options
    WMAWMA Posts: 175
    I wonder if the judge watches 'curb your enthusiasm'

Larry David: "I steal forks from restaurants"
    Lol
  • Options
    no, i would not. my point is this practice of public shaming as punishment for criminal behavior went out of vogue a long time ago and for good reason.

Bellbottoms made a comeback... why not public humilliation?

executions used to be public entertainment. we all headed down to watch the hangings. should we truly go back to that, to really send a signal?

it's barbaric.

It is one thing to carry a sign around for two hours, it is a completely different thing to hang someone in public... where do you make that leap?

I wouldn't be surprised if you are one of the people who think that allowing same-sex marriage will lead to people wanting to marry their dogs.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

it's barbaric.

Publically humiliating someone for being a theif might make them reconsider thier life as it clearly has with this woman..... incarcerating them with other theives where they have nothign to do but trade secrets does nothing to sway them other than to be more careful.

Wearing a sandwich board for stealing other peoples hard earned money is not at all barbaric.

She isn't being branded or tattooed when the sentence is over the board comes off and Audultry while really fucking lame, still not a crime.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    No, we certainly should not go back to hangings. But public hangings aren't bad because they're public, they're bad because they're hangings. Justice is not and cannot be anonymous. Justice is the process of judging a man for his actions. Without the man, without knowledge of the actions, justice is impossible.

public lethal injections are ok then?

justice is not anonymous. these people are sentenced. court proceedings are public record. you must disclose such convictions in every job you apply for for the rest of your life. how is this anonymous?
  • Options
    public lethal injections are ok then?

No. But private lethal injections aren't any better.
    justice is not anonymous. these people are sentenced. court proceedings are public record. you must disclose such convictions in every job you apply for for the rest of your life. how is this anonymous?

It's anonymous in the sense that I don't know who the fuck "Jane Doe" is. "Jane Doe" or "Bob Smith" are just names. Justice isn't carried out against a name, it's carried out against a person.
  • Options
    qtegirl wrote:
    Bellbottoms made a comeback... why not public humilliation?

It is one thing to carry a sign around for two hours, it is a completely different thing to hang someone in public... where do you make that leap?

I wouldn't be surprised if you are one of the people who think that allowing same-sex marriage will lead to people wanting to marry their dogs.

no, i am a huge supporter of same sex marriage. becos i support treating people with dignity. public shaming is not dignity. furthermore, what if the conviction is false, based on circumstantial evidence, and now this person is known to everyone as a crook? it simply opens the door to a broad range of humiliating punishment that raises serious questions.

most importantly: this woman was given a choice between jailtime and this and chose this. so what does that say about what is truly the more appealing and deterring punishment? she'd RATHER stand there for 2 hours with a sign than go to jail for the weekend. sounds like an easy way out to me. one that accomplishes nothing for the greater good of society.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Publically humiliating someone for being a theif might make them reconsider thier life as it clearly has with this woman..... incarcerating them with other theives where they have nothign to do but trade secrets does nothing to sway them other than to be more careful.

Wearing a sandwich board for stealing other peoples hard earned money is not at all barbaric.

She isn't being branded or tattooed when the sentence is over the board comes off and Audultry while really fucking lame, still not a crime.

yeah, which is why she chose that over jail? it clearly is the better deterrent to crime isnt it?
  • Options
    yeah, which is why she chose that over jail? it clearly is the better deterrent to crime isnt it?

Justice and punishment are not the same thing. I'm sure she'd choose jail over a stoning, but that wouldn't justify the stoning.
  • Options
    No. But private lethal injections aren't any better.

It's anonymous in the sense that I don't know who the fuck "Jane Doe" is. "Jane Doe" or "Bob Smith" are just names. Justice isn't carried out against a name, it's carried out against a person.

and what is it to you that you get to see the person humiliated in public? does it help you feel better and superior than them? does it make you feel safer to gloat over them? if it was so important that you know exactly WHO is doing the crime, you'd take the steps to find out who jane doe and bob smith are. but it clearly has no effect on you. you didnt give a shit who they were then, why do you now?
  • Options
    becos i support treating people with dignity.

Where does locking someone up in a cell fit into that?
    one that accomplishes nothing for the greater good of society.

I'd much rather know who the thief is in my town than pay for their bed and meals for a few days.
  • Options
    and what is it to you that you get to see the person humiliated in public?

I don't care whether those people are humiliated or not. If the enjoy wearing the sandwhich board, it doesn't matter to me.
    does it help you feel better and superior than them?

Well, yes. I am better than a thief. But I already knew that.
    does it make you feel safer to gloat over them?

Not really, no.
    if it was so important that you know exactly WHO is doing the crime, you'd take the steps to find out who jane doe and bob smith are.

I am, by supporting a justice system wherein Jane Doe and Bob Smith cannot hide their crimes in the paper.
    but it clearly has no effect on you. you didnt give a shit who they were then, why do you now?

Because they've announced by their actions that they do not respect the right of property.
  • Options
    most importantly: this woman was given a choice between jailtime and this and chose this. so what does that say about what is truly the more appealing and deterring punishment? she'd RATHER stand there for 2 hours with a sign than go to jail for the weekend. sounds like an easy way out to me. one that accomplishes nothing for the greater good of society.
    Well, I don't agree with this. If I'm given the choice between spending even a few months in jail or doing the sandwich board thing, of course I would choose the sandwich board.

But the thing is, I wouldn't KNOW what that is going to do to me. It seems like the easy choice at the moment, but you don't know how it's going to make you feel when you actually have to go through with it.
  • Options
    Do I smell a solution to Americas over crowded prison system?
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon