Options

Its OK to hate the white man

truroutetruroute Posts: 251
edited March 2007 in A Moving Train
Speak of hating white people, and its art.

Speak of hating black(or any other) and its racist, allowing "Rev" Jackson and Sharpton to charge in and do what ever it is they do.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/03/28/0328art.html

City displays racially charged art
Text on artwork says it is "OK to hate the white man"

By DAVID PENDERED
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/28/07

A piece of art that raises a stark question about race relations in America is hanging in a gallery at Atlanta's City Hall East.

The display, a collection of 33 U.S. flags, includes two sentences with no punctuation: "Politically its OK to hate the white man" and, "Is it OK for me to hate if Ive been a victim"

The piece was approved by the curator of the gallery in a building that functions as a satellite campus of Atlanta City Hall. The annual Pin-Up Show, which opened Friday, provides emerging artists with a venue to display their works, said Myra Reeves, spokeswoman for the city's Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs.

Robbie Bussey strolled through the gallery during her lunch break from a conference in the building. She paused in front of just one out of 23 displays — the one by Decatur artist Alvaro Alvillar that's titled, "Formula for Hate."

Bussey read the first sentence and said the painting's message could be interpreted as a racist comment.

"Whoever the artist is is making a statement about what they think America is about," Bussey said. "It's kind of racist, depending on where you stand. But everyone has a right to voice what they feel. That's what America is about."

Then she read the second line.

"That's a good question," Bussey said. "You have to think about what answer you have to that. It depends where you are spiritually and with your maturity. I know I can hate, but I know spiritually that I can't. This does make me think."

Alvillar said Wednesday he hoped his piece would promote conversations about race relations, which he said is one of the more contentious issues of modern life.

"What I'm trying to say is that right now, the only politically correct form of prejudice is that anyone can say anything about a white person," Alvillar said. "I think that's wrong, but it happens to be a reality and that is the idea of the first sentence. The second sentence is made to make you think about where you stand if you have been a victim."

Reeves said the curator, Freddie Styles, approved the artists and pieces displayed in the Pin-Up Show. Styles' goal was to provide a venue for artists in metro Atlanta who are not well known but have potential for a wider audience. The artists are not paid, Reeves said. The selection process amounts to Styles inviting a diverse group of artists to participate, Reeves said.

Reeves said the city has no plans to remove the piece: "We're not censoring freedom of expression."

Alvillar said his piece is not exactly what he would like to have displayed. He could have honed his message with a bit more space, but had room for just three rows of 11 flags, two letters on each flag. Alvillar said his first choice for the first sentence just didn't fit: "Politically, is it OK to hate the white man?"

"So I turned the first sentence into a statement that also is a question," he said. "When I was hanging it someone heard a guy use the word, 'outrageous.' And it is outrageous. That's the point."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    After reading what the artist said about it, I love the sentiment. It should create excellent dialog if people are willing to think about it.

Unfortunately 92% of the population don't seem to be able to comprehend statements like that.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I don't know what to think of the comment. It's relatively clever, I guess.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    It certainly seems to be ok to hate white people.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,374
    It's funny, I've said exactly the same thing as this artist is saying; and I've gotten' a bunch of people verbally attacking and making justifications and excuses why it's okay to hate white people.

Interesting little world we live in.
  • Options
    Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I bet if it said "Its ok to hate black people" Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton would raise hell. Fuck them.....
    I'll be back
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    NMyTree wrote:
    It's funny, I've said exactly the same thing as this artist is saying; and I've gotten' a bunch of people verbally attacking and making justifications and excuses why it's okay to hate white people.

Interesting little world we live in.

Me too, and I've been called racist for it.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    truroute wrote:
    Speak of hating white people, and its art.

Speak of hating black(or any other) and its racist, allowing "Rev" Jackson and Sharpton to charge in and do what ever it is they do.

did you even bother to read the article you posted? the artist isn't advocating hate for white people or victimization.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    I bet if it said "Its ok to hate black people" Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton would raise hell. Fuck them.....

damn, how long have you bottled that sentiment?
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I think this sentence is actually "art", cos it's thought provoking and it challenges what is happening in the world.

As a statement "it's politically OK to hate the white man" is true ata teh present time. The artist does not say that it should be OK, only that it seems to be. He is challenging the idea that it is OK for this to be OK ! OK ??

The second sentence is also asking very good questions. If you have been a victim, then it is OK to hate. This is pretty much the justification that is used to making hating white men OK. Our ancestors were slaves so it's OK to hate you. My father was an abusive alcohiolic so it's OK to be violent myself, or to rip you off, or to jack the system.

I thnk the curator made the right call. To ban these pieces would be censorship operating in the worst way !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    sometimes i just like my Art to have beauty. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    did you even bother to read the article you posted? the artist isn't advocating hate for white people or victimization.

no, he's pointing out the ridiculous double standard.
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    sometimes i just like my Art to have beauty. :)

Hey, I thought it was your sig that used to say art was meant to discomfort the comfortable or something like that ??
    Music is not a competetion.