Options

Overweight at 18, dead in middle age?

SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Overweight at 18, maybe dead in middle age?

Obese teens twice as likely to die between ages 36-56 than slim peers

WASHINGTON - Young women who are overweight at the age of 18 have a higher risk of dying young, but medication and behavior therapy can help young people lose weight, U.S. researchers reported Monday.

A study of 102,400 female nurses showed that women who were overweight or obese when 18 drank more alcohol, smoked more and were less likely to exercise as teens — and were also more likely to die between the ages of 36 and 56.

The more a women weighed at 18, the greater her risk of dying young, the researchers reported in Monday's issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine. Women who were moderately overweight at 18 were more than 50 percent more likely to die in the 12 years of follow-up, and obese women were more than twice as likely to die as the slimmest 18-year-olds.

"This paper underscores the importance of efforts to prevent excessive weight gain in children, not only to prevent obesity but also to prevent moderate overweight (people)," said Frank Hu of the Harvard School of Public Health, who worked on the study.

The women died of various causes — 258 died of cancer, 55 of heart disease or stroke and 61 committed suicide.

Even women who had never smoked were more likely to die if they were overweight as 18-year-olds, the researchers found.

Teen weight loss
However, a second study found it is possible to help youngsters lose weight using behavior therapy and the prescription drug sibutramine.

Dr. Robert Berkowitz of Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and colleagues tested 498 obese youngsters aged 12 to 16.

Those given sibutramine, marketed by Abbott Laboratories as Meridia, lost more weight, the researchers reported in a second paper in Annals.

On average, the children who got the drug plus behavior therapy lost 18 pounds more compared to children who received behavioral therapy alone. On average, adolescents in the study who took a sugar pill gained four pounds over the year.

*The teens who got the drug also ended up with healthier levels of cholesterol and blood sugar, according to the study, paid for by Abbott. There was a side-effect, however — tachycardia, or rapid heartbeat.

"At the end of a year of treatment, one third of the adolescents who received medication were no longer severely overweight, and out of six who were treated dropped below the standard definition of being overweight," Berkowitz said in a statement.

In March, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration staff report recommended against approving Meridia for use in children because there was so little information about its safety.
"Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Overweight at 18, maybe dead in middle age?
    The women died of various causes — 258 died of cancer, 55 of heart disease or stroke and 61 committed suicide.

Ok, but you get those vaccinations every couple of years, those vaccines include things like Fermeldahyde, Yeast, Aluminim Phosphapates, Mecury and foreign proteins. Many of those things are carcinogenic. I did my own research on this, I'll mention one example.

Twinrix is a Hepatitis A/B vaccine. The effects of which only last 4 years and provide a layer of protection against Hep A & B infections. Actually contracting Hepatitis A or B and allowing your immune system to defeat it, provides a life-long total immunity to the virus.

It was never tested for carcinogens or mutagenic properties. It was never tested on people under 18 or over 65. It was never tested in breast milk. They know virtually nothing about the vaccine except "it works". But we know that all those ingredients lead to cancer.

I don't see any solid evidence that obesity leads to cancer. Just malnutrition and foreign substances that were never meant to be injected into the body.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    Hmph.

So much for my theory on McDonalds.
    Feels Good Inc.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Bu2 wrote:
    Hmph.

So much for my theory on McDonalds.

haha what was that?

McDonald's isn't good either. I mean realistically you could eat a lot of McDonald's but, as long as you have fruit and vegetables and maintain a balanced diet, you should be able to defeat most diseases and prevent cancer. Also contrary to common belief the sun prevents skin cancer. It can cause it from over-exposure, but under-exposure is cancerous aswell. The sun gives our skin vitamins it needs.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i can definitely see/appreciate a causal effect between obseity at a young age and a young death. it isn't too far a stretch at all. i also remember reading at one time about your weight at the age of 18 is a good precursor for your general health, and that one should stay within/under 20 pounds close to such weight, as long as you were a healthy weight to begin with at that age, to maintain good health into adulthood. man, i was a skinny, skinny 18 year old....so yea....:o guess i've got to work on that now. :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    This boggles my mind. How much $ was spent to say...when you are obese at a younger age you are nto as healthy as your slimmer peers and you will die earlier? No shit. Thanks for wasting $ that could have gone to me buying more Value Meals.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    This kinda thing really fucking pisses me off.

"Teen weight loss
    However, a second study found it is possible to help youngsters lose weight using behavior therapy and the prescription drug sibutramine"

how about we just give our kids good healthy food? It really isnt that fucking hard to figure out. The more years pass, the fatter our kids are getting. Its called diet you morons. Medication isnt the answer, putting healthy meals on kids plates is!
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    over in the UK theres always some crap in the news claiming americas a nation of burger-chomping lard-asses, if yous like the burgers WTF?