Options

9/11 Panel Suspected Deception By Pentagon

my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
a little smoke before the fire?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/01/AR2006080101300.html

9/11 Panel Suspected Deception by Pentagon
Allegations Brought to Inspectors General
By Dan Eggen
The Washington Post

Wednesday 02 August 2006

Some staff members and commissioners of the Sept. 11 panel concluded that the Pentagon's initial story of how it reacted to the 2001 terrorist attacks may have been part of a deliberate effort to mislead the commission and the public rather than a reflection of the fog of events on that day, according to sources involved in the debate.

Suspicion of wrongdoing ran so deep that the 10-member commission, in a secret meeting at the end of its tenure in summer 2004, debated referring the matter to the Justice Department for criminal investigation, according to several commission sources. Staff members and some commissioners thought that e-mails and other evidence provided enough probable cause to believe that military and aviation officials violated the law by making false statements to Congress and to the commission, hoping to hide the bungled response to the hijackings, these sources said.

In the end, the panel agreed to a compromise, turning over the allegations to the inspectors general for the Defense and Transportation departments, who can make criminal referrals if they believe they are warranted, officials said.

"We to this day don't know why NORAD [the North American Aerospace Command] told us what they told us," said Thomas H. Kean, the former New Jersey Republican governor who led the commission. "It was just so far from the truth.... It's one of those loose ends that never got tied."

Although the commission's landmark report made it clear that the Defense Department's early versions of events on the day of the attacks were inaccurate, the revelation that it considered criminal referrals reveals how skeptically those reports were viewed by the panel and provides a glimpse of the tension between it and the Bush administration.

A Pentagon spokesman said yesterday that the inspector general's office will soon release a report addressing whether testimony delivered to the commission was "knowingly false." A separate report, delivered secretly to Congress in May 2005, blamed inaccuracies in part on problems with the way the Defense Department kept its records, according to a summary released yesterday.

A spokesman for the Transportation Department's inspector general's office said its investigation is complete and that a final report is being drafted. Laura Brown, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said she could not comment on the inspector general's inquiry.

In an article scheduled to be on newsstands today, Vanity Fair magazine reports aspects of the commission debate - though it does not mention the possible criminal referrals - and publishes lengthy excerpts from military audiotapes recorded on Sept. 11. ABC News aired excerpts last night.

For more than two years after the attacks, officials with NORAD and the FAA provided inaccurate information about the response to the hijackings in testimony and media appearances. Authorities suggested that U.S. air defenses had reacted quickly, that jets had been scrambled in response to the last two hijackings and that fighters were prepared to shoot down United Airlines Flight 93 if it threatened Washington.

In fact, the commission reported a year later, audiotapes from NORAD's Northeast headquarters and other evidence showed clearly that the military never had any of the hijacked airliners in its sights and at one point chased a phantom aircraft - American Airlines Flight 11 - long after it had crashed into the World Trade Center.

Maj. Gen. Larry Arnold and Col. Alan Scott told the commission that NORAD had begun tracking United 93 at 9:16 a.m., but the commission determined that the airliner was not hijacked until 12 minutes later. The military was not aware of the flight until after it had crashed in Pennsylvania.

These and other discrepancies did not become clear until the commission, forced to use subpoenas, obtained audiotapes from the FAA and NORAD, officials said. The agencies' reluctance to release the tapes - along with e-mails, erroneous public statements and other evidence - led some of the panel's staff members and commissioners to believe that authorities sought to mislead the commission and the public about what happened on Sept. 11.

"I was shocked at how different the truth was from the way it was described," John Farmer, a former New Jersey attorney general who led the staff inquiry into events on Sept. 11, said in a recent interview. "The tapes told a radically different story from what had been told to us and the public for two years ... This is not spin. This is not true."

Arnold, who could not be reached for comment yesterday, told the commission in 2004 that he did not have all the information unearthed by the panel when he testified earlier. Other military officials also denied any intent to mislead the panel.

John F. Lehman, a Republican commission member and former Navy secretary, said in a recent interview that he believed the panel may have been lied to but that he did not believe the evidence was sufficient to support a criminal referral.

"My view of that was that whether it was willful or just the fog of stupid bureaucracy, I don't know," Lehman said. "But in the order of magnitude of things, going after bureaucrats because they misled the commission didn't seem to make sense to me."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i hope they get those dirty fuckers,...
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    what would be the justification for lying about anything having to do with that day... except to cover up the truth? what do they have to hide? how far does it go? what will we find out one day? what will we never know? why did the administration block all attempts of a thorough investigation of the events surrounding 9/11? what do they have to hide? why is NORAD lying about those events? why is the american public not outraged by anything less than full truthfull disclose and full cooperation to investigate the events?

what the fuck is going on?
  • Options
    PickrPickr Posts: 161
    my2hands wrote:
    what would be the justification for lying about anything having to do with that day... except to cover up the truth? what do they have to hide? how far does it go? what will we find out one day? what will we never know? why did the administration block all attempts of a thorough investigation of the events surrounding 9/11? what do they have to hide? why is NORAD lying about those events? why is the american public not outraged by anything less than full truthfull disclose and full cooperation to investigate the events?

My opinion....Flight 93 was shot down, goverment cannot tell the people of thier country that they killed thier own people. What choice did they have though?
    Stix and Stones may break my bones, but More than Words will never hurt me.
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    "My view of that was that whether it was willful or just the fog of stupid bureaucracy, I don't know," Lehman said. "But in the order of magnitude of things, going after bureaucrats because they misled the commission didn't seem to make sense to me."
    Goddamn moron. I wonder what would make sense to him? Probably going after Clinton for trying to keep his sex life private, as it should be. That would probably make sense to this dumbass.
  • Options
    Goddamn moron. I wonder what would make sense to him? Probably going after Clinton for trying to keep his sex life private, as it should be. That would probably make sense to this dumbass.

exactly
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:

Those are all great questions. While I'm a firm believer that 9/11 was an inside job, I do think that they would lie about some of that stuff either way, if only to cover their incompetent asses. So, while I'm convinced that they are a bunch of crooked motherfuckers, I don't think it's because of some of these lies in question. I mean, giving them the benefit of the doubt and living for a second in the land of make-believe where Osama Bin Laden orchestrated these attacks, I can totally see these government agencies lying so they appear to be somewhat competent rather than letting the public know that they're just as lost as us and have no fucking clue what's going on or how to handle it.
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    and why is this not the number 1 news story? i know mel gibson is important and all......but the pentagon lying to the 9/11 commission???? its not as if anyone in this country would give 2 fucks anyhow, but jesus. i mean jesus! i dont believe the governments account of 9/11.....and i dont buy into the conspiracy fully either. but the white house did do everything in their power to stop the 9/11 commission and now the pentagon willfully lied about their actions on that day. something is wrong. i know people only care about what cable news networks tell them to care about... but this seems like a pretty big story doesnt it? if i were a jurnalist i would run with this one. what do you suppose stops journalists from doing so?
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    what do you suppose stops journalists from doing so?

Fear.
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    and why is this not the number 1 news story? i know mel gibson is important and all......but the pentagon lying to the 9/11 commission???? its not as if anyone in this country would give 2 fucks anyhow, but jesus. i mean jesus! i dont believe the governments account of 9/11.....and i dont buy into the conspiracy fully either. but the white house did do everything in their power to stop the 9/11 commission and now the pentagon willfully lied about their actions on that day. something is wrong. i know people only care about what cable news networks tell them to care about... but this seems like a pretty big story doesnt it? if i were a jurnalist i would run with this one. what do you suppose stops journalists from doing so?

good question
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    robbie wrote:
    what do you suppose stops journalists from doing so?

The mesmerising fog/veils that pull us towards the mass accepted delusions is what stops them. And as Pickr says: fear. It takes concerted long-term effort to escape the veils of illusion. Any journalist with any real clout will also be firmly entrenched in some kind of "establishment" upon which their entire lives are built. In the end, people follow the personal security agenda. Journalists want the big story that will earn them mass adulation and acclaim, not the one that ostracises/shuns them from society.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    The mesmerising fog/veils that pull us towards the mass accepted delusions is what stops them. And as Pickr says: fear. It takes concerted long-term effort to escape the veils of illusion. Any journalist with any real clout will also be firmly entrenched in some kind of "establishment" upon which their entire lives are built. In the end, people follow the personal security agenda. Journalists want the big story that will earn them mass adulation and acclaim, not the one that ostracises/shuns them from society.

That being said, if they lived to show the story of some kind of cover up, with undeniable proof, it could be the biggest story of our time..But who has the balls?
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Pickr wrote:
    That being said, if they lived to show the story of some kind of cover up, with undeniable proof, it could be the biggest story of our time..But who has the balls?

No one in the main stream media, that is for sure. Meanwhile while this story is breaking; CNN.com has on their front page, "Israeli troops carry the coffin of a soldier killed fighting Hezbollah" and "Israel pounded by rockets."

Not to hijack the thread and no, I dont want to talk about Israel. Simply showing how the media "tells us" what we should care about and how to think about a certain topic.

Now the question as to why, protecting your own self-interest as a reporter and as a business.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    im not asking for investigative reporting. im just wondering why nobody is reporting a story that has already run in this mornings washington post. this story is huge, and i had to find out about it through the pearl jam message pit?????? i just watched a press conference at the white house and nobody mentioned in...not even helen thomas! they are still running the mel gibson story on all the cable news networks... again, its not like they have to BREAK the story..it is in todays newspaper fo fucking out loud. why it is not the huge topic of discussioin on every network is puzzling. for those who do not get the washington post or read the moving train...how is the general public supposed to be informed about such a vital issue? daily show mabey????/
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    im not asking for investigative reporting. im just wondering why nobody is reporting a story that has already run in this mornings washington post. this story is huge, and i had to find out about it through the pearl jam message pit?????? i just watched a press conference at the white house and nobody mentioned in...not even helen thomas! they are still running the mel gibson story on all the cable news networks... again, its not like they have to BREAK the story..it is in todays newspaper fo fucking out loud. why it is not the huge topic of discussioin on every network is puzzling. for those who do not get the washington post or read the moving train...how is the general public supposed to be informed about such a vital issue? daily show mabey????/

I hear ya...It is getting no play on CNN, there is a blurb on thier web site, just a couple of paragraphs....I am sure it will get the attention it deserves in time...I hope.
  • Options
    Eva7Eva7 Posts: 226
    robbie wrote:

welcome in the wonderful mainstream media world!
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    robbie wrote:

Most media outlets like CBS are multinational corportations. Their primary duty is to increase profits to please the shareholders. That includes maintaining their congressional contracts for information. This trumps their constitutional duty.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    this reminds me of "all the president's men"

i guess it's mainly because i just watched the movie recently and it's the washington post. but yeah..
    saw things so much clearer
  • Options
    Yeah this should definetly be getting more attention...but who as time for crack-pot conspiracy theorists...;)...
  • Options
    tucker carlson is about to do a story on it on msnbc right now!
  • Options
    well he said he was going to talk about it. he gave a teaser mentioning lies told to the 9/11 commission and said something about startling evidence.... then he came back from commercial, talked about cell phones and oprah, went back to commercial with a mel gibson story tease and mentioned nothing about the story. mabey it will be on later in the show? does this air at the same in all timezones, or is it taped and played at 3:00 everywhere? anyone see this story air on any channel yet?
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    well he said he was going to talk about it. he gave a teaser mentioning lies told to the 9/11 commission and said something about startling evidence.... then he came back from commercial, talked about cell phones and oprah, went back to commercial with a mel gibson story tease and mentioned nothing about the story. mabey it will be on later in the show? does this air at the same in all timezones, or is it taped and played at 3:00 everywhere? anyone see this story air on any channel yet?

Well it does NOT surprise me that this guy does not mention it....the more I think about this I have come to the conclusion that the "official" story is a complete and utter sham that the majority fell for.....what makes things more difficult in trying to convince those that the "official" story is false is that these people cannot fathom that their intelligence fell for something like that....yes there are some overboard theories...however the "official" story is as much a faux as the conspiracy theories...sickening....I cannot believe more questions have not been asked....question to someone who knows:

How much money was spent investigating Clinton/Monica debacle (and time spent) compared to that investigating 9/11?

Disgusting a nation hi-jacked and mentally raped.....
  • Options
    tucker just ran the story and blamed the 9/11 commission for not doing their job. no, im not joking....he blamed the 9/11 commission.
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    tucker just ran the story and blamed the 9/11 commission for not doing their job. no, im not joking....he blamed the 9/11 commission.

Are you really surprised....wow ceases to amaze me how some Americans follow so blindly when all the FACTS are presented to them...I guess if things do not appear on People magazine it should have no credability....what we freaking need is some honest media.....
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Are you really surprised....wow ceases to amaze me how some Americans follow so blindly when all the FACTS are presented to them...I guess if things do not appear on People magazine it should have no credability....what we freaking need is some honest media.....

well, at least he recognizes a problem...
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    robbie wrote:
    tucker carlson is about to do a story on it on msnbc right now!

That guy is a professional twat.
  • Options
    bump since the media wont do it
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    bump since the media wont do it

Once again a reliable criticism is dismissed by the masses...no wonder some people need to quote alternative media websites because even when the mainstream ones comment on an inconsistency it loses credability...
  • Options
    Once again a reliable criticism is dismissed by the masses...no wonder some people need to quote alternative media websites because even when the mainstream ones comment on an inconsistency it loses credability...

good point on the alt media... it is where i get most of my info? they seem to be the real media to me...the others (nbc, cnn, etc.) just seem to be there to entertain me, instead of informing me
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    good point on the alt media... it is where i get most of my info? they seem to be the real media to me...the others (nbc, cnn, etc.) just seem to be there to entertain me, instead of informing me

Its funny when the two match they both discredited....just makes me shake my head....
  • Options
    bump ...

this story hit press while i was on vacation (with no media access) ...
    my mother mentioned she had read something ... took me almost an HOUR to dig this up on the net ... when i found the title i searched it here ... suprise, suprise, it was posted in AMT!

THE TRUTH IS: THE GOVERNMENT IS LYING.
    LIAR LIAR, OUR FREEDOMS ON FIRE!
    :(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?