Options

Why do you think Pearl Jam is so "disrespected?"

rjbukowskirjbukowski Posts: 117
edited October 2008 in The Porch
Case in point, In Utero sold way less than Nevermind, yet Nirvana is still loved by everyone, fans and critics.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Kurt died and that always elevates celebrities. Pearl Jam rose to heights quickly and there will always be detractors because of that. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    whoever disrespects pearl jam is an idiot!!
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    thats not a argument!
  • Options
    if you kill yourself because of the "media" and all that crap, it will make you a legend. he is seen by a martyr by 14 year olds everywhere. there's also probably more about kurt than pj. wasn't there a biography about him that came out not too long ago? and to know anything about pearl jam you gotta go digging because they didn't do much interviews and stuff. also you couldn't understand what ed was singing more back in the day than you can now. i can't TELL you how many times i get shit for how people can't understand what he says. whenever someone hears me mention pearl jam, they do that deep, retarded voice everyone does when they try and make fun of ed. i bet if he was more clear more people would respect him instead of make fun of him and say he sounds like he "stubbed his toe" or whatever. people are retarded like that. im tired so if it doesn't make sense... try and make it make sense please :p
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    people are retarded like that. im tired so if it doesn't make sense... try and make it make sense please :p

People are retarded?

...lol. Nirvana's drama was always more photogenic then Pearl Jam's.
    The whole "Kurt Cobain died for your teen angst" crap has prevailed for almost two decades, but believe, if all of this shit was going down in today's media, he would have gotten the full-on Amy Winehouse treatment. Dude was talented, but trashy as hell, and the tabloids live for these types of public self destruction.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    Noonie wrote:
    People are retarded?

The whole "Kurt Cobain died for your teen angst" crap has prevailed for almost two decades, but believe, if all of this shit was going down in today's media, he would have gotten the full-on Amy Winehouse treatment. Dude was talented, but trashy as hell, and the tabloids live for these types of public self destruction.
    wooorrrrrrrrrd...
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Noonie wrote:
    People are retarded?

Well said, sir/madam. As much as I like the music, I never bought into the hype. Kurt always seemed like a egotistical, holier-than-thou douchebag. It seems that he knew everything and we knew nothing.

He was a good songwriter and good screamer but Ed blows him out of the water in the lyrics department.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Don't get it twisted bro, Pearl Jam is very well respected for the works they've done the last 18 years, and maybe much of that respect came in the latter half of their career but so it be.

If both Nirvana and PJ were part of the 60's-70's scene, I'd say one band would be immortalized along with Morrison, Hendrix, and Joplin while the other band will be immortalized with the same praise as Led Zeppelin or The Who or The Stones.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    Boo-ya wrote:
    Case in point, In Utero sold way less than Nevermind, yet Nirvana is still loved by everyone, fans and critics.

what exactly is your point about in utero selling less than nevermind? pearl jam hasn't been setting any record-sales records lately...who cares about record sales?

incidently, in utero is better than nevermind...i think most people agree...
  • Options
    benitobenito Posts: 16
    They've played with Neil Young, for Bob Dylan, with The Who.............Playing with those isn't a form of "disrespect".
  • Options
    Big Mac's have sold more than their competition

that must mean it's the best food ever
    hate was just a legend
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    I'm actually glad that our favorite band pulled back after Kurt's self destruction, and I don't care if they sell more or less of their albums, just as long as they keep making great music.

It's been nice to have them as our own treat, to tour with and enjoy on their terms and our terms. Thank god PJ did not take the Nirvana route as we wouldn't be on this forum so many years later. PJ are not disrespected, I think they are not fully understood by the casual music fan as they always get lumped in with Nirvana, Soundgarden, AIC....etc. they have stood alone pretty much since 1994 and have been better for it, and we've benefited as a result, with great albums, tours and the band taking care of their fans. Trust me PJ are respected by all the fans around here, and anyone who is a true musician!!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    if you kill yourself because of the "media" and all that crap, it will make you a legend. he is seen by a martyr by 14 year olds everywhere. there's also probably more about kurt than pj. wasn't there a biography about him that came out not too long ago? and to know anything about pearl jam you gotta go digging because they didn't do much interviews and stuff. also you couldn't understand what ed was singing more back in the day than you can now. i can't TELL you how many times i get shit for how people can't understand what he says. whenever someone hears me mention pearl jam, they do that deep, retarded voice everyone does when they try and make fun of ed. i bet if he was more clear more people would respect him instead of make fun of him and say he sounds like he "stubbed his toe" or whatever. people are retarded like that. im tired so if it doesn't make sense... try and make it make sense please :p

RIGHT? Either people do the voice and say "EVEN FLOOOWWW" or "Life Wasted" and then some other random babbling afterwards. I get that shit ALL THE TIME.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Big Mac's have sold more than their competition

that must mean it's the best food ever

No that means Big Macs are the best compared to Wendies or BK, and they are anyway.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    dpmay wrote:
    what exactly is your point about in utero selling less than nevermind? pearl jam hasn't been setting any record-sales records lately...who cares about record sales?

incidently, in utero is better than nevermind...i think most people agree...
    And neither of those albums hold a candle to Bleach. It's kinda sad that Nirvana hit their peak before anyone knew who they were
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    I was watching VH1 the other day, and they had the "Seven Ages of Rock" playing. Did anyone else see this? They basically document seven sections of rock history in hour long segments. One of the sections was called Alternative. For the entire hour of the segment, they literally talked about nothing but Nirvana. They mentioned a few other bands, and they even talked a bit about REM. But what did they ask Michael Stipe about? Kurt Cobain and Nirvana! It was completely ridiculous.

I think that we all want our favorite bands to get recognition in the media. It's a natural hope among fans because you love the artist. But the habit in the media is to focus on a few select artists and ignore the rest. I actually think that PJ gets more attention than other bands from that time period.
  • Options
    NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    RolanBolan wrote:
    I was watching VH1 the other day....

Yeah, say no more. That channel now a days is basically E! with a few oldies, I wouldn't expect much.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,418
    who really gives a flying ... if they ARE disrespected.The boys know who they are and what they're about . Incredible fan base who loves them and connects with them.what more is there?

Oh YEAH THEY F'N ROCK!!!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    One time I was driving and Yellow Ledbetter was on 106.7 FM (KROQ). During the solo/end of the song, the DJ made snoring sounds over the song. I was hot.
    But I realized that KROQ only plays "Popular" bullshit anyways. Not to say PJ was bullshit back in 92-93, but in 08 the rock and roll on that station sounds all the same...shit that little high school bitches like.

But, whenever Pearl Jam go on tour and are in Southern California, KROQ always jumps on the bandwagon. I always see a KROQ tent at a PJ show in So. Cal.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    If you respect them, then why should it matter what others think?
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    i can't TELL you how many times i get shit for how people can't understand what he says. whenever someone hears me mention pearl jam, they do that deep, retarded voice everyone does when they try and make fun of ed. i bet if he was more clear more people would respect him instead of make fun of him and say he sounds like he "stubbed his toe" or whatever. people are retarded like that. im tired so if it doesn't make sense... try and make it make sense please :p

No disrespect meant to Ed or the band but I do a great early Eddie Vedder impression :). To the OP, In Utero was a great, great album that's probably why it gets all the respect from critics. It deserves it. Pearl Jam is very respected amongst music insiders and great musicians. Bruce, The Who, Neil Young, Tom Petty and countless others all like and respect PJ, I think that counts for something. Plus what someone else said is how I feel, as long as you like and respect them, then who gives a fuck who sells more records or what other people think?
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    I think if your lead singer is allowed to share the stage with Tom Petty, The Who, The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen I think you are pretty fucking respected. I think a lot of people don't understand that Pearl Jam has better albums or just as good albums after Vs. and that Eddie's vocal range is a lot bigger than he leads on, I think you can even hear that in Vs.

To take anything away from Kurt Cobain because he "killed himself" is bullshit the dude was a fucking catchy writer with an insane amount of talent. Nevermind didn't sell all the copies it did because it sucked. Right band, right time. Its not like Kurt flew over on a plane with a crazy amount of hype behind him (not that the Beatles didn't deserve it), he paid his dues working the Seattle scene for almost 10 years before Nirvana released Nevermind.

I could never understand the disdain between Pearl Jam and Nirvana fans, Kurt has that interview out there, but if you ever read an interview with Eddie Vedder, Kurt Cobain's passing had a huge impact on his life and almost made the band stop playing. Listen to the bootleg from the night Kurt Cobain died and try to tell me that Eddie Vedder didn't care about the well being of that man and even further more the fans of that band.

And if you look back on it, Ten and Vs. both have outsold Nevermind and In Utero. So don't act like Pearl Jam was this small time band that got overlooked.

Michael Stipe being interviewed about Nirvana is not a slap in the face to REM, do you realize how close Kurt and Mike were? They were going to do an album together and Stipe just happens to be Frances Bean's godfather, oh and did you miss the part at the REM induction when Eddie Vedder said it should be Kurt Cobain giving that induction speech, not him?

To answer the question I think Pearl Jam is disrespected out of ignorance, I think that anyone who has listened to anything post Vitalogy realizes what an incredible, flexible, no-two-songs-sound-the-same, band. I think that's what is so amazing about Pearl Jam is that every album has a completely different feel and every album is its own entity. Pearl Jam doesn't have a sound, they're just a band who plays what they want to play and write how they want to write.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Boo-ya wrote:

Way to not connect the dots. This doesn't even relate to PJ.
  • Options
    bertanbertan Posts: 266
    Noonie wrote:
    Yeah, say no more. That channel now a days is basically E! with a few oldies, I wouldn't expect much.

ummm, seven ages is a bbc documentary
    RolanBolan wrote:
    I was watching VH1 the other day, and they had the "Seven Ages of Rock" playing. Did anyone else see this? They basically document seven sections of rock history in hour long segments. One of the sections was called Alternative. For the entire hour of the segment, they literally talked about nothing but Nirvana. They mentioned a few other bands, and they even talked a bit about REM. But what did they ask Michael Stipe about? Kurt Cobain and Nirvana! It was completely ridiculous.

I think that we all want our favorite bands to get recognition in the media. It's a natural hope among fans because you love the artist. But the habit in the media is to focus on a few select artists and ignore the rest. I actually think that PJ gets more attention than other bands from that time period.

ok first of all, i suggest you watch that documentary in its entirety because it's absolutely brilliant! it's a 7 episode documentary and they've done a brilliant job telling the rock history. what they've done is, they've picked some major bands from each era and tell the story around them. like hendrix, stones, the who from the sixties; ramones, sex pistols, patti smith from the punk scene etc...

yes they've picked nirvana from the alternative scene and didn't mention pearl jam much, but that's because it's impossible to mention every band in detail and expect a 1 hour episode. they've talked much about r.e.m. and the pixies, and they've asked millions of questions to them about their music. i'm guessing you just watched the ending and saw the questions about kurt and jumped to conclusions. michael stipe talks about rem's past and musical evolution in detail.

so please, watch it carefully next time, and i recommend you watch all 7 episodes, there are some flaws but it's still brilliant...
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • Options
    bertan wrote:
    ummm, seven ages is a bbc documentary

ok first of all, i suggest you watch that documentary in its entirety because it's absolutely brilliant! it's a 7 episode documentary and they've done a brilliant job telling the rock history. what they've done is, they've picked some major bands from each era and tell the story around them. like hendrix, stones, the who from the sixties; ramones, sex pistols, patti smith from the punk scene etc...

yes they've picked nirvana from the alternative scene and didn't mention pearl jam much, but that's because it's impossible to mention every band in detail and expect a 1 hour episode. they've talked much about r.e.m. and the pixies, and they've asked millions of questions to them about their music. i'm guessing you just watched the ending and saw the questions about kurt and jumped to conclusions. michael stipe talks about rem's past and musical evolution in detail.

so please, watch it carefully next time, and i recommend you watch all 7 episodes, there are some flaws but it's still brilliant...

I did watch the entire thing, and yes, I would agree that it was a pretty cool series all-in-all. I understand that they were trying to focus on specific bands as well. Yet, from what I have seen in much of the media, this is all many publications/channels seem to do. Yes, Nirvana was a huge band in that era. Yes, they are interesting. But coming from someone who listens to people talk about nothing but Nirvana over and over and over, it just grinds on my nerves a bit. It's more of a collective thing. And yes, I understand that Stipe and Cobain were close. I understand that they were talking about making an album together. And I can even understand them asking Stipe about Cobain. However, the constant media attention that Nirvana gets just annoys me at times, so I suppose I was a bit too biased when I watched it. But I'm willing to give credit where credit is due. So in that sense you are right.
  • Options
    Boo-ya wrote:

disrespected?? weird...

how about under appreciated? i can live with that.

oh and um nirvana played rock n roll, and they were/are way over rated.
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    I think if your lead singer is allowed to share the stage with Tom Petty, The Who, The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen I think you are pretty fucking respected. I think a lot of people don't understand that Pearl Jam has better albums or just as good albums after Vs. and that Eddie's vocal range is a lot bigger than he leads on, I think you can even hear that in Vs.

To take anything away from Kurt Cobain because he "killed himself" is bullshit the dude was a fucking catchy writer with an insane amount of talent. Nevermind didn't sell all the copies it did because it sucked. Right band, right time. Its not like Kurt flew over on a plane with a crazy amount of hype behind him (not that the Beatles didn't deserve it), he paid his dues working the Seattle scene for almost 10 years before Nirvana released Nevermind.

I could never understand the disdain between Pearl Jam and Nirvana fans, Kurt has that interview out there, but if you ever read an interview with Eddie Vedder, Kurt Cobain's passing had a huge impact on his life and almost made the band stop playing. Listen to the bootleg from the night Kurt Cobain died and try to tell me that Eddie Vedder didn't care about the well being of that man and even further more the fans of that band.

And if you look back on it, Ten and Vs. both have outsold Nevermind and In Utero. So don't act like Pearl Jam was this small time band that got overlooked.

Michael Stipe being interviewed about Nirvana is not a slap in the face to REM, do you realize how close Kurt and Mike were? They were going to do an album together and Stipe just happens to be Frances Bean's godfather, oh and did you miss the part at the REM induction when Eddie Vedder said it should be Kurt Cobain giving that induction speech, not him?

Agree with what you're saying here. There's a lot of Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam stuff on the boards which I don't get. I love both bands, they both have/had great unique sounds that I enjoy. It doesn't matter who's better or more respected or sold more records and blah, blah, blah.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I've never really run into much criticism of PJ, professional or otherwise. Sure, I don't know anyone my age that's into them besides knowing a few songs, but people only 5 years older love them...they've had enduring popularity that no critic could take away anyway.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    Boo-ya wrote:

? who cares
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    kurt fucked billy corgan's sloppy seconds.

that's all i gotta say about this.