Presidential News Conference 7/7/06

GunMetalGreyGunMetalGrey Posts: 3
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Often during these things I become so agitated by the proceedings that I can't help but walk out of the room. Eventually I return back to the TV, and here are a few nuggets I noticed today:
(paraphrased)

-When asked about any further info on the possible trajectory of the long-range N. Korean test missile and our capapabilities to shoot it down, Bush noted that he didn't really know because he hadn't talked to Rumsfield about it specifically in the last day.
(Considering this as an ongoing threat, our defense plan against N. Korea is something I'd expect the Prez to have an intimate knowledge of. And if not before these tests, certainly by now.)

-Regarding the U.S. diplomacy plan with N. Korea, a reporter mentioned that reports suggest N. Korean arms capabilities have increased since they were labeled one of the Axis of Evil. Bush disagreed, and he asked the reporter where she got her info. She did not cite specific sources other than "intel reports". Bush, NOT JOKINGLY, suggested that maybe she knew more than him about the subject.

-When asked about possible corruption within Chicago Mayor Daley's office, Bush, having made real nice with Daley on this trip, avoided the direct question and moved past it by cracking a joke about their friendship.
(He does this a lot, a lot, a lot...and he always gets away with.)

Although I pretty much disagree with Bush Administration policies across the board, I try to avoid bashing. It's just not a part I usually like to play. This whole scene is so frustrating and makes me feel so helpless I want to try and keep my head in the sand, but when his press conference interrupts my expected TV programming with Maury Povich revealing paternity test results, I have to stand and speak! ;)

Anyone have any more observations or thoughts?
"I smile, but who am I kidding?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Glad I was at at work. I cannot believe some of things he says. They took their eyes off of Al Qaeda/Iran/N. Korea and it will be one of the biggest blunders of this Administration.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • gemmagemma Posts: 4
    (Considering this as an ongoing threat, our defense plan against N. Korea is something I'd expect the Prez to have an intimate knowledge of. And if not before these tests, certainly by now.)

....Bush, NOT JOKINGLY, suggested that maybe she knew more than him about the subject.

.....and moved past it by cracking a joke about their friendship.
    (He does this a lot, a lot, a lot...and he always gets away with.)

Anyone have any more observations or thoughts?

You have to question just how much his handlers tell him (or how much he pays attention to). It was made painfully obvious after Katrina when he wasn't told for 3 days that there was an unprecedented disaster in the country he "runs". His staff shows him a DVD of the highlights? Unbelievably irresponsible. I have a feeling that the "leader of the free world" doesn't have the slightest clue what's really happening in that world. And, apparently, that doesn't bother him. Which should bother the hell out of everybody else.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I liked this answer.... when asked about sanctions against North Korea, and the resistance that China and Russia have about the idea....

"Some nations are more comfortable with sanctions than other nations, and part of the issue we face in some of these countries is that they've got economic interests. And part of our objective is to make sure that national security interests, security of the world interests trump economic interests. And sometimes that takes a while to get people focused in the right direction.

riiiiiiggghhhhtttt.... national security trumps economic interests... you really think we'd be in Iraq if it wasn't for our economic intrests???
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln