Options

War of the Woods II?

sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Clayoquot Sound, one of the last remaining ancient rainforests and home to the infamous War of the Woods in the early 1990's is about to be re-opened to logging which would destroy an ecosystem that can never be replaced. The original conflict between environmentalists and loggers garnered widespread international attention and resulted in hundreds of arrests at peaceful blockades. The government finally decided it would be wiser to leave the forest to as a preserve and was to be protected by the Nuu-chah-nulth first nations group. Now this forest has been quietly re-opened and logging rights seem to be granted to a logging compnay. Apart from the obvious, what makes me really upset is that this has been a quiet deal which has not been publicized to the media who still remain silent on the same issue that was thought to be a decisive victory for the environtment. To me this is a tragedy that would remove forests that have trees over a thousand years old and virtually the only place on earth to see an intact temperate rainforests (relatively) undisturbed by man.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=3e81fb9c-b97a-4811-b2ea-6b2f923e95a4
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    you have a conservative gov't over there in BC ... did you know that the best province for wind power generation is BC and yet there is nothing ... that is ridiculous ...

edit: i should expand this to say that there have been previous gov'ts that have done nothing about the wind either ... having said that - this particular gov't is all about making deals ...
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Distressing.............indeed. :(
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    did you hear about harpers "roundtable" on the environment? ... discussing climate change and air quality ...

he made sure none of the key players were there - greenpeace, sierra legal, etc ... his pettiness continues and from what i gather out of the meeting was that they were adopting the US federal approach which was make mumbo jumbo legislation that does nothing ...

no consultation with the experts ...
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    sourdough wrote:
    The government finally decided it would be wiser to leave the forest to as a preserve and was to be protected by the Nuu-chah-nulth first nations group.
    But you fail to mention that it is the first nations group, Nuu-chah-nulth, that has decided to do go ahead with logging. This in no way was a government choice. The actual framework and legislation to allow this was done by an ultra leftwing NDP government. It seems somehow that the NDP has a very racist view of first nations and describes a sort of eco-basis love for the planet based on their racial heritage.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    surferdude wrote:
    But you fail to mention that it is the first nations group, Nuu-chah-nulth, that has decided to do go ahead with logging. This in no way was a government choice. The actual framework and legislation to allow this was done by an ultra leftwing NDP government. It seems somehow that the NDP has a very racist view of first nations and describes a sort of eco-basis love for the planet based on their racial heritage.

You are right. I did not point fingers at the government for this decision, but it is true, that it was the FN groups that are in control of land use for this region. In any event, this does not make this any more or less of a problem for the region. The whole issue has been very quietly handed down and i do think the government does have a responsibility to open up the issue to debate considering the contentiousness of the issue at hand and the past history involving logging and Clayoquot Sound. While I agree that the legislation is flawed, (I think it should have outright have been protected as a national preserve/park) I don't think it was racist. Clayoquot Sound is traditionally Nuu-chah-nulth territory and it includes several very significant spiritual sites (which they have ensured will be preserved), so it did make sense that they would have some amount of control over the land, but protection from logging really should have been included.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    sourdough wrote:
    While I agree that the legislation is flawed, (I think it should have outright have been protected as a national preserve/park) I don't think it was racist. Clayoquot Sound is traditionally Nuu-chah-nulth territory and it includes several very significant spiritual sites (which they have ensured will be preserved), so it did make sense that they would have some amount of control over the land, but protection from logging really should have been included.
    The racist thinking was in the enviro fields who assumed at the time of legislation that it was a good, eco-friendly decision because first nations are such great stewards of the environment. This belief sems to be fully racially based.

I was pointing out for polaris the background regarding this matter. While finding the humour to the extent polaris will go to blame just about every eco-unfriendly event on a conservative government.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    The racist thinking was in the enviro fields who assumed at the time of legislation that it was a good, eco-friendly decision because first nations are such great stewards of the environment. This belief sems to be fully racially based.

I was pointing out for polaris the background regarding this matter. While finding the humour to the extent polaris will go to blame just about every eco-unfriendly event on a conservative government.

how did i blame this on the conservative gov't?? ... if anything - i am guilty of railroading this thread to another topic ...

we've discussed this before - if you wanna continue to paint a broad brush - go ahead but you are consitently inaccurate in your statements ...