Options

'More disasters' for warmer world

sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4791257.stm

'More disasters' for warmer world

A warmer world could make wildfires more frequent, research shows

Rising temperatures will increase the risk of forest fires, droughts and flooding over the next two centuries, UK climate scientists have warned.

Even if harmful emissions were cut now, many parts of the world would face a greater risk of natural disasters, a team from Bristol University said.

The projections are based on data from more than 50 climate models looking at the impact of greenhouse gas emissions.

The study appears in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The researchers gathered results from 52 computer simulations to calculate the risks from climate-induced changes to the world's key ecosystems.

They then grouped the results according to the amount of global warming: less than 2C (3.6F); 2-3C (3.6F-5.4F); and more than 3C (5.4F).

For each of the temperature ranges, the team assessed the probability of changes in forest cover, the frequency of wildfires and changes to freshwater supplies over the next 200 years.

'Dangerous climate change'

Marko Scholze, from the University of Bristol's Department of Earth Sciences, and the paper's lead author, said the findings revealed a direct link between rises in global temperature and damage to ecosystems.

"We show the steeply increasing risks, and increasingly large areas affected, associated with higher warming levels," he said.

"The United Nations says we should limit greenhouse gas emissions so we do not have dangerous climate change. So the question is 'what is dangerous climate change?'.

"In this paper we define the level we think is dangerous and see how likely it will come true," Dr Scholze told BBC News.

Richard Betts, manager of Climate Impacts at the Met Office's Hadley Centre, welcomed the findings.

"This makes an important new contribution to the debate on the effects of climate change," he said.

"We already knew that we cannot rely on just one model, as different models give different answers.

We do have to make decisions on climate change now so if we wait for the perfect model we will be too late
Dr Richard Betts, Hadley Centre

"This work helps us go beyond that vague statement, as it shows how much the models agree on particular levels of impact and how much they disagree."

He said the research was an important first step towards quantifying the risks of damaging impacts associated with particular levels of global warming.

The findings showed areas that would experience the worst forest loss would include Eurasia, eastern China, Canada and the Amazon.

Areas of western Africa, southern Europe and eastern US states were at most risk from dwindling freshwater supplies and droughts as a result of rising temperatures.

The data also showed that any temperature increase of more than 3C (5.4F) could result in land "carbon sinks" releasing their stored carbon into the atmosphere, exacerbating the problem of global warming.

Dr Scholze hoped the collated data would answer some of the concerns among more sceptical members of the scientific community who questioned the accuracy of climatic modelling.

"That is exactly why we did this study," he said. "We used as many models as we could and did not rely on any one study.

"We looked at 52 simulations and the probabilities of dangerous climate change these models showed."

Dr Betts agreed: "Of course it is risky to make these projections when models are continuously being changed, but we do have to make decisions on climate change now so if we wait for the perfect model we will be too late.

"The models give the best encapsulation of current understanding of the climate system, and are the only way of assessing physically plausible futures."

Dr Scholze said he hoped the findings would be used in debates on dangerous climate change and the measures needed to avoid it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    some things filter down slower than others. the study i did showed that the melting of the glasiers and ice caps will dilute the salt content of the ocean killing the species that cannot adapt to brackish water. the resulting deaths will decompose producing large amounts of methane which will raise the earths temp another few degrees.
    this; like everything else; will be recognised when it's too late to change it.
  • Options
    I've hear that theory before as well. I definitely do believe that changes in the ocean will lead to much higher mortality and extinction among marine life (actually its happening quite effectively at present ie. coral reefs), however, most of the decomposition will happen at the bottom of the ocean where the dead matter sink. The methane and other gasses can actually get trapped in deep water and create deoxygenated zones, however this year, lots of the deoxygenated and dead zones have started to upwell along the Oregon and Washington coast creating huge dead zones of water along the shore. Really sad.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    some things filter down slower than others. the study i did showed that the melting of the glasiers and ice caps will dilute the salt content of the ocean killing the species that cannot adapt to brackish water. the resulting deaths will decompose producing large amounts of methane which will raise the earths temp another few degrees.
    this; like everything else; will be recognised when it's too late to change it.
    It's evolution baby!!!
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    I've hear that theory before as well. I definitely do believe that changes in the ocean will lead to much higher mortality and extinction among marine life (actually its happening quite effectively at present ie. coral reefs), however, most of the decomposition will happen at the bottom of the ocean where the dead matter sink. The methane and other gasses can actually get trapped in deep water and create deoxygenated zones, however this year, lots of the deoxygenated and dead zones have started to upwell along the Oregon and Washington coast creating huge dead zones of water along the shore. Really sad.

under normal circumstances the methane would remain frozen at the bottom of the ocean. but what happened during the permian extinction when the siberian flats were active and rose the earths temperature 5 degrees; the methane melted and the gasses entered the atmosphere. as a greenhouse gas; it raised the temperature another 5 degrees causing 95% extinction.
    the proof was discovered in greenland in 1998. sorry i don't have the time to find a link.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Shouldn't the thread title be 'More possible disasters' for warmer world?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Shouldn't the thread title be 'More possible disasters' for warmer world?

Not really, cause the world has started to warm and the disasters have increased correspondingly, therefore there has been more disasters in the warmer world.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:

http://sbflixcontest.org/

after it loads, click on what is shifting baselines and watch the video,...
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    http://sbflixcontest.org/

after it loads, click on what is shifting baselines and watch the video,...

great video. I think people aren't necessarily indifferent but more unaware because of this phenomena
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Not really, cause the world has started to warm and the disasters have increased correspondingly, therefore there has been more disasters in the warmer world.
    Show me definitive cause and effect before I buy into your thread title. As someone who believes in science I'm always amazed out how many in the enviro field don't seem to quite put science into practice.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    surferdude wrote:
    Show me definitive cause and effect before I buy into your thread title. As someone who believes in science I'm always amazed out how many in the enviro field don't seem to quite put science into practice.

are you still contending the weather you've gotten out west this summer is normal?
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:

Q: What is the number 1 ingredient for hurricanes?
    A: Warm ocean surface temperature. (similarly Tornadoes thrive with hot air except in a dry climate)

Q: Are warm temperatures associated with light overcast rain or hard rain storms which cause flooding?
    A: Rain patterns in warmer areas feature convection rain storms due to radiating surface heat rather than frontal systems ala Pacific northwest.

Q: Will warm temperatures lead to higher forest fire incidences?
    A: Warm temperatures may cause drought and make forests susceptible to burning.

Okay enough with Q and A, but the pine beetle is killing huge forests because they do not have cold temperatures which keep their population in check. This also makes forests much more vulnerable to burning not to mention the ecological damage of forest destruction and economic costs as well.

Marine life is severely impacted as is biodiversity in general where extinction is way faster than in normal background rates.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Q: Will warm temperatures lead to higher forest fire incidences?
    A: Warm temperatures may cause drought and make forests susceptible to burning.
    You put the key word right in your answer and you still want to ignore it. The world may end tomorrow,but I'm not going to start a thread saying the world is going to end tomorrow.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    You put the key word right in your answer and you still want to ignore it. The world may end tomorrow,but I'm not going to start a thread saying the world is going to end tomorrow.

What I meant by that (I purposely put that in for accuracy) is that in many places there will be drought, but in others there will not be. Flooding may be the fun topic of the day in other areas.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    where's that head banging penguin when you need him??

with all due respect to all the non-believers - it's really at that stage now where there isn't much to say that hasn't been said before on this topic ... it's pretty much staring us in the face ...

if at anytime someone wants to discuss the actual science behind climate change - feel free to bring it up ... but just because we don't know if there is gonna be 3 floods or 20 floods this year doesn't mean its not happening ... smoking may cause cancer ... so, i guess we'll wait until they say for sure to decide ...
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:

well, dude; what do you want to know? what we have is accumulation of factors. not just one. we have video of the inside of the glasiers and ice caps melting. you can't refute that. we know the earths core is cooling so the atmosphere is warming faster than the cooling. we know that if the temperature rises another 4 degrees it will melt the frozen methane. it's happened and is scientifically documented. we also know that it's too late to stop the ice from melting. ocean currents COULD shift or an asteroid could hit causing nuclear winter. but WE AS HUMANS can no longer stop the melting. the world heats and cools as a natural process and the earth can heal itself; but we took away the tools needed to heal. the trees and plants take in CO2 and expell O2. so we cut down the trees. we coated the leaves with pollution to hinder photosyntisis. we put sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere so the life giving rain is now acid rain which destroys the plants. we've paved over the earth instead of replacing what we destroyed. we poisoned the ground and ground water with chemicals making it worthless. there are pristine lakes in the wilderness poisoned with mercury from mining. is that enough cause and effect for you? the earth will heal but only after another ice age. the same way it did after the permian extinction. but that's a few thousand years away.
  • Options
    well, dude; what do you want to know? what we have is accumulation of factors. not just one. we have video of the inside of the glasiers and ice caps melting. you can't refute that. we know the earths core is cooling so the atmosphere is warming faster than the cooling. we know that if the temperature rises another 4 degrees it will melt the frozen methane. it's happened and is scientifically documented. we also know that it's too late to stop the ice from melting. ocean currents COULD shift or an asteroid could hit causing nuclear winter. but WE AS HUMANS can no longer stop the melting. the world heats and cools as a natural process and the earth can heal itself; but we took away the tools needed to heal. the trees and plants take in CO2 and expell O2. so we cut down the trees. we coated the leaves with pollution to hinder photosyntisis. we put sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere so the life giving rain is now acid rain which destroys the plants. we've paved over the earth instead of replacing what we destroyed. we poisoned the ground and ground water with chemicals making it worthless. there are pristine lakes in the wilderness poisoned with mercury from mining. is that enough cause and effect for you? the earth will heal but only after another ice age. the same way it did after the permian extinction. but that's a few thousand years away.
    Just answer me a few simple question using scientific data and methods.
    How much of climate change is man made?
    How much man made climate change is acceptable?
    Would some of the listed changes you gave possibly still be occurring without man's help?

All that said I believe we should be doing what we can to lessen our impact on the earth. But don't forget that some of our eco-harming adaptations have been instumental in saving billions of lives.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Would some of the listed changes you gave possibly still be occurring without man's help?

All that said I believe we should be doing what we can to lessen our impact on the earth. But don't forget that some of our eco-harming adaptations have been instumental in saving billions of lives.

AT WHAT COST? at what cost do we kill ourselves? we have people living to almost 100 to have them die from the heat on the streets? they are dying now. skin cancer is rampant NOW; not maybe or in the future. we've destroyed our protection from the sun you can't go out without sunscreen anymore. NOW! not long ago we could walk up to a stream and get a drink. you can't do that NOW. not long ago you could eat snow; you can't do that NOW. the last clean water is saved for thousands of years in the glasiers and icecaps. they're melting into the sea. NOW! we have video. the forests that clean the air are greatly diminished. NOW. not in a few years. the tops of the trees are dead from acid rain accross the rockys and canada. NOW. they're dead right now.
    i'm beating a dead horse here. there is none so blind as he that will not see. instead of pointing fingers why don't you go out and enjoy what we have left of this wonderful earth. it will be here for thousands of years but it's climate won't support life. we let it go too far and we know it NOW.
    peace out
  • Options
    AT WHAT COST? at what cost do we kill ourselves?
    How about at what cost do we save ourselves.
    we have people living to almost 100 to have them die from the heat on the streets? they are dying now. skin cancer is rampant NOW; not maybe or in the future. we've destroyed our protection from the sun you can't go out without sunscreen anymore. NOW! not long ago we could walk up to a stream and get a drink. you can't do that NOW. not long ago you could eat snow; you can't do that NOW. the last clean water is saved for thousands of years in the glasiers and icecaps. they're melting into the sea. NOW! we have video. the forests that clean the air are greatly diminished. NOW. not in a few years. the tops of the trees are dead from acid rain accross the rockys and canada. NOW. they're dead right now.
    i'm beating a dead horse here. there is none so blind as he that will not see. instead of pointing fingers why don't you go out and enjoy what we have left of this wonderful earth. it will be here for thousands of years but it's climate won't support life. we let it go too far and we know it NOW.
    peace out
    Way to avoid the questions.

Not long ago people starving to death was common in North America. Indian tribes getting nearly wiped out by a harsh winter was common. Now you freak out because people have to put on sunscreen and or wear a hat when they go outside. Let's get some perspective here. Never has human life expectancy been longer. Personally I'll take dieing of cancer because I couldn't afford an air conditioner now, to dieing at 40 of an easily treatable disease 200 years ago. I call this good progress, not perfect but good.

Humans will do what they've always done and what we are better than jsut about every other species at, we will adapt. It's a key point in evolution, adapt or die.

And if as you say "we let it go too far" then why should we spend any money trying to make it better? Or is this just more hyperbole that we've come to expect from the enviro crowd?

I will enjoy nature on my way home tonight, on the nearly hour bike road. I refuse to see it in a doom and gloom manner though.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    How about at what cost do we save ourselves. Way to avoid the questions.

Not long ago people starving to death was common in North America. Indian tribes getting nearly wiped out by a harsh winter was common. Now you freak out because people have to put on sunscreen and or wear a hat when they go outside. Let's get some perspective here. Never has human life expectancy been longer. Personally I'll take dieing of cancer because I couldn't afford an air conditioner now, to dieing at 40 of an easily treatable disease 200 years ago. I call this good progress, not perfect but good.

Humans will do what they've always done and what we are better than jsut about every other species at, we will adapt. It's a key point in evolution, adapt or die.

And if as you say "we let it go too far" then why should we spend any money trying to make it better? Or is this just more hyperbole that we've come to expect from the enviro crowd?

I will enjoy nature on my way home tonight, on the nearly hour bike road. I refuse to see it in a doom and gloom manner though.

we did a good job. we killed ourselves and everything living. if the climate isn't a cause in our death; it will certainly be the cause in our childrens deaths. i come from a family of decorated scientists and it's too late. some things will adapt but the earth will never be as we remember it.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    How about at what cost do we save ourselves. Way to avoid the questions.

history has proven that's what we always do. when we can't solve a problem we throw money at it. it seems you can't see outside your own backyard so i'm done here.
  • Options
    before i shut down i will tell you the direct cause of global warming:
    SELFISHNESS AND GREED.
    that's it dude. simple isn't it? the best part is you can prove it to yourself. sit down with a history book and fan through the ages. (yes; ages).
    you can wring out a sponge so many times that it renders no more water.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    I think global warming is an issue better supported than not. If we're wrong and its just cyclical climate change, oh well, no big deal. But if we're right, and you haven't believed what the majority of the scientific community believes and we really are destroying this planet...well then, you can see where I'm going I hope...
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:

1) Since 1958 the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has risen from ~305 ppm (parts per million) and steadily risen to ~375 ppm. Correspondingly global temperatures have risen by 0.6C (~1.0F) which does not sound like a lot but considering the last age saw an annual temperature difference of about 5.0F, a small change can mean a big difference. Our CO2 output is only increasing and if we accept that the greenhouse effect is legit, than we can only conclude that temperatures will also continue to increase. If CO2 continues to increase at the same rate as it has, we are likely to have temperatures increase to between 2.5-10.4 C. Even at best case scenario at 2.5C, this is very substantial as we have seen it doesn't take a huge increase to yield massive change. Furthermore, it will effect the most vulnerable places (arctic regions) A LOT more than equatorial areas which may not see too much change, but near the poles it is likely to see a double digit change in temperature. In conclusion, there is lots of evidence to assert that the CO2 output alone makes us responsible for atmospheric changes which control temperature. Keep in mind that globally (think India and China, we are going to see millions of new driver/cars as well as many new industries all of which produce tons of CO2 along with thefact that forests are continuing to be cut and burned down therefore removing the natural systems that remove CO2.

2) I believe human impact should be negligible at best when it comes to climatic change. The atmosphere is too fragile and too important to be messed with. Its not just a local change or loss, but a planetary problem. If climate changes, it impacts and disturbs an entire planet's worth of ecosystems which it cannot adapt to quickly enough. The planet and nature is resilient, but I think extinction rates have shown that it cannot adapt quickly enough to compete with human intervention.

3) Yes, it is possible that some changes are due to natural changes, however, we cannot deny that we are emitting billions of tons of CO2 and other green house gasses into the atmosphere while at the same time removing the earth's defences. The atmosphere is extremely thin and vulnerable to change. I think we demonstrated that by ripping a hole in the ozone layer in only a few decades. you have said that you concur that the greenhouse theory is valid, so doesn't it add up??

Lastly, even if humans can adapt, the same may not be said about other living things on this earth. To me they are just as important if not more important than humans for the longevity and sustenence of the planet's ecosystems. We are losing key ingredients that keep our planet healthy due to human intervention including climate change. I'm incredibly saddened by the loss of biodiversity in nature and even more so that so many more species will be lost in my lifetime.