Options

Didn't Take Long....Conservatives Sliding....

RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Well does not surprise me as we are a country that responds when our government goes against the wishes of the people....

Mideast stance behind Tory poll slide

By SUE BAILEY

OTTAWA (CP) - A new poll suggests Tory support is sliding over voter concern that Canada has become too cosy with the United States on Middle East policy.

The latest results by Decima Research, released to The Canadian Press, put the Conservatives and Liberals in a virtual tie nationally. The Tories had 32 per cent support compared with 31 per cent for the Liberals and 16 per cent for the New Democrats. But the Liberals widened their Ontario lead to 42 per cent of voter support compared with 33 per cent for the Conservatives, and have pulled in front of the Tories in Quebec for the first time since last winter's campaign.

The two parties had been neck-neck in Ontario as recently as mid-June.

"When we look at the combination of the alignment of the government with the current U.S. administration policy on the Middle East - and in particular with respect to the Lebanon-Israel conflict - it's reasonable to assume it's one of the factors that's driving Conservative support down in the near term," said Decima CEO Bruce Anderson.

"They clearly are encountering some pushback from voters in Ontario and Quebec in particular."

Liberals have also taken the lead in crucial urban ridings by a margin of 35 per cent versus 29 per cent, and are increasingly preferred by women and by voters aged 25 to 34, the poll suggests.

Middle East policy and hefty new defence spending announced by the Tories in June have apparently left some Quebec voters cold, Anderson says.

The province tends to be the most pacifist in Canada. It's also where Prime Minister Stephen Harper has invested most of his political capital in a drive for a majority government.

Harper was expected to announce a larger Canadian contribution in response to the humanitarian crisis in the Middle East. The Conservative caucus opens a two-day meeting in Cornwall, Ont., on Thursday.

Harper has been vilified by critics for his pro-Israel stance on the latest crisis in Lebanon. But Anderson notes that the Conservative slide started in June before fighting between Israel and Hezbollah began killing hundreds of civilians, many of them Lebanese children.

Anderson cautioned against reading too much into the latest telephone poll of 1,000 Canadians, taken July 27 to 31.

"I wouldn't say the Conservatives have fallen into some sort of abyss.

"We're talking about shifts that are significant in terms of whether they portend a Conservative minority or majority - or even the outcome of an election.

"But people know the election isn't going to be held right now."

Indeed, the popularity plunge is expected to be a hot topic as the Conservative caucus gathers this week for a retreat in Cornwall, Ont.

Talk of the Conservatives engineering their own defeat for a snap election this fall has dissipated as polls continue to suggest momentum is not with the minority government.

The continuing Liberal leadership race is another factor, Anderson says.

"People are seeing evidence of a next generation of leadership hopefuls for the Liberal party. It's making it maybe a little bit easier for people to say: 'I might vote Liberal rather than Conservative in the next election.' "

The poll is considered accurate to within three percentage points plus or minus, 19 times out of 20. The margin of error is higher for regional breakdowns.

I wonder if any of the otehr parties have enough gall to pull the plug?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PickrPickr Posts: 161
    It's still fresh in everyone's minds the scandals and bullshit stalling this country went through under the Libs..Conservatives may slide a bit, but I think in time they will be ahead in the ratings again...
    Stix and Stones may break my bones, but More than Words will never hurt me.
  • Options
    Pickr wrote:
    It's still fresh in everyone's minds the scandals and bullshit stalling this country went through under the Libs..Conservatives may slide a bit, but I think in time they will be ahead in the ratings again...

The longer they refuse to take a positon of neutrality it will slide and slide do you realize they will lose Quebec and most of Ontario...right there the Libs get back power....people will not forget the caskets nor the support for one-sided action that caused innocent Canadian deaths....this to me is more insulting than any sponsership scandel.....at least no one was dying.....and no I didn't vote liberal last election just so you know....
  • Options
    The longer they refuse to take a positon of neutrality it will slide and slide do you realize they will lose Quebec and most of Ontario...right there the Libs get back power....people will not forget the caskets nor the support for one-sided action that caused innocent Canadian deaths....this to me is more insulting than any sponsership scandel.....at least no one was dying.....and no I didn't vote liberal last election just so you know....

Innocent canadian deaths meaning Afghanistan?
  • Options
    Pickr wrote:
    Innocent canadian deaths meaning Afghanistan?

No the seven Montreal civilans blow to pieces by Israeli war planes.....3 or 4 beiong children...yet Harper still would not refute his comments....you have to remember Harper received a lot of gimme votes from those wanting to punish the Liberals...he won a minorty against a scandel laden Liberal government that any other person should have crushed....
  • Options
    No the seven Montreal civilans blow to pieces by Israeli war planes.....3 or 4 beiong children...yet Harper still would not refute his comments....you have to remember Harper received a lot of gimme votes from those wanting to punish the Liberals...he won a minorty against a scandel laden Liberal government that any other person should have crushed....

May I ask who you did vote for?
  • Options
    Pickr wrote:
    May I ask who you did vote for?

I voted NDP for the reason that the Liberals lost their privelage to run the country....

I did not vote Tory for the reasons that I do not agree with their child care program and the fact I did not like Harper and his past. However you should know that I may have voted for a more progressive Conservative candiadate one that was less socially Conservative but fiscally Conservative...I viewed the child care program as another waste of money social service that would be abused....I may sound very left...however I would define myself as liberally social and moderatly Conservative fiscally...I would really like to see our health care system re-hauled....a pseudo medi-care system to say that would benefit everyone with a small proportion of pay services (that would still be free, but can be paid for)....however this is not the time for me to get into that....just wanted to come across to you that I am not the brand name Liberal...I am a mix of all parties....as for voting for the NDP they were the lesser of the two evils and I liked Jack as he seemed genuine...Harper looked socially inempt and Martin seemed liked a con artist....sorry for the ramble....
  • Options
    I voted NDP for the reason that the Liberals lost their privelage to run the country....

I did not vote Tory for the reasons that I do not agree with their child care program and the fact I did not like Harper and his past. However you should know that I may have voted for a more progressive Conservative candiadate one that was less socially Conservative but fiscally Conservative...I viewed the child care program as another waste of money social service that would be abused....I may sound very left...however I would define myself as liberally social and moderatly Conservative fiscally...I would really like to see our health care system re-hauled....a pseudo medi-care system to say that would benefit everyone with a small proportion of pay services (that would still be free, but can be paid for)....however this is not the time for me to get into that....just wanted to come across to you that I am not the brand name Liberal...I am a mix of all parties....as for voting for the NDP they were the lesser of the two evils and I liked Jack as he seemed genuine...Harper looked socially inempt and Martin seemed liked a con artist....sorry for the ramble....

I feel Harper is a bit over his hear right now in foreign policy, and he still does have election promises to live up to..Lowering the GST was fine however it has not seemed to make on bit of difference on the whole...His child care program, an extra $1200 per year? is a good start, but any parent will tell you that it is surely not enough...One area I will give him kudos is in regards to criminal justice system, it's time to strengthen some laws, enforce some mandatory minimums for serious offenders, ie. this Whitmore clown who just diddled a couple of kids etc...I was at a crossroads when I elected..It was my first National election, Libs as you say where not even an option, NDP screwed BC far too much for me to trust them nationaly, the Greens will not be a contender for a very long time and I did not just want to throw away a vote...I am more a fan of the Conservative party than I am of Harper, there is a feeling of distrust I get from him..Bottom line is there will not be an election called for quite a while...The Libs have to get thier house in order and the Cons numbers are way too fragile right now
  • Options
    Pickr wrote:
    I feel Harper is a bit over his hear right now in foreign policy, and he still does have election promises to live up to..Lowering the GST was fine however it has not seemed to make on bit of difference on the whole...His child care program, an extra $1200 per year? is a good start, but any parent will tell you that it is surely not enough...One area I will give him kudos is in regards to criminal justice system, it's time to strengthen some laws, enforce some mandatory minimums for serious offenders, ie. this Whitmore clown who just diddled a couple of kids etc...I was at a crossroads when I elected..It was my first National election, Libs as you say where not even an option, NDP screwed BC far too much for me to trust them nationaly, the Greens will not be a contender for a very long time and I did not just want to throw away a vote...I am more a fan of the Conservative party than I am of Harper, there is a feeling of distrust I get from him..Bottom line is there will not be an election called for quite a while...The Libs have to get thier house in order and the Cons numbers are way too fragile right now

I agree...but for some reason I was thinking Harper was going to get cocky and try to seduce a fall of the government...hell four weeks ago a majority according to the polls was possible...but that chance has come and went....I would like to see strict laws on child abusers...how many chances did that Whitmore have...give me a break once is more than enough for at least 15.....that case really struck a nerve with me as my hometown was less than an hour from Whitewood and half hour from Kipling...hit close to home that one....I wish we always had a minority government I believe it would be a more balanced system (something attainable through proportional voting) and would help express a wider range of views.....
  • Options
    I really believe he should re-think this policy.....l

CORNWALL, Ont. (CP) - Prime Minister Harper says his hardline policy on the Middle East won't change because of polls and protests.

Speaking in Cornwall after a party caucus meeting, the prime minister said any ceasefire in Lebanon must be permanent and lasting.

Harper said Canadians are not neutral on terrorist groups and they want the government to work with the international community to develop a strong position that can lead to a durable and lasting peace.

He said conditions have to be in place to make a ceasefire possible and stable.

And that isn't going to happen as long as there is a terrorist organization that's initiating violence and won't cease its attacks