Options

Eddie Vedder rocks Kelly Slater Foundation

qcreteqcrete Posts: 133
edited April 2008 in The Porch
VEDDER'S BETTER
Eddie Vedder rocks Kelly Slater Foundation Benefit to Save Trestles

By: Mike Cianciulli April 23, 2008

It all made sense the day after. Although I never doubted Eddie Vedder's sincerity towards protecting the waves we play in everyday, sometimes it's tough to comprehend how people's words turn to action.
Vedder, friend/actor Sean Penn, big-wave mogul Jeff Clark, and host Marty Colombatto paddled out in front of Colombatto's estate overlooking Cotton's Point on Sunday -- the morning after a private benefit concert by Vedder in support of the Kelly Slater Foundation. To see the smile on his face and the stoke in his eyes that only surfing can provide calmed my whole deal. It became clear that to Eddie Vedder, surfing was more than just another "environmental cause worth fighting for."
Just twelve hours before, Vedder was on stage in Colombatto's backyard performing a private set for no less than 600 bigwigs and environmental enthusiasts. The newly-founded Kelly Slater Foundation aims to raise money and awareness for environmental groups such as Miocean and Surfrider Foundation. An A-list of surfing's who's who including Taylor Knox, Lisa Anderson, and Peter "PT" Townend mingled amongst the likes of Sean Penn and Ben Harper in the mansion's lawn that stretched practically from Cotton's to Upper's.

"Half of every song I've ever written, was written in the ocean so that's sort of my way of giving back," proclaimed Vedder in between songs, after a borderline explicit rant calling out Governor Schwarzenegger for turning his back on the fight to save Trestles.

The Kelly Slater Foundation Benefit raised over $350,000 for several environmental causes including Miocean, Surfers Healing, The Quiksilver Foundation, Pipeline to a Cure and Surfrider Foundation's efforts to stop the proposed 241 Toll Road from affecting Trestles. Aside from the hefty ticket price, a live auction, which included items such as a round of golf with Kelly and Fred Couples (winning bid was $46,000) and two signed Fender guitar by Slater and Vedder (pulling in $25,000 each), were instrumental in making the first-time event a success. "Half of every song I've ever written, was written in the ocean so that's sort of my way of giving back."
-- Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder

"It's very rare to see a cause be victorious and I know that we're not all the way there but that was a really great thing that happened a few months ago," said Vedder, commenting on the Coastal Commission's vote against the 241-extension.

The fundraising event's vibe was simple, yet extravagant. There were tasty food stations and myriad bars commingled around the sprawling acreage of the closest house to Trestles. After the dinner/cocktail hour, a motor-mouthed female auctioneer steered the ship before Slater got up and thanked everyone for being there. And just after dusk, Vedder, the 2007 SIMA Environmentalist of the Year, took the stage for an epic solo set.

The crowd rocked for hours to the soothing, yet provocative lyrics of the Pearl Jam frontman before folk icon Ben Harper joined Vedder on stage for the last few songs. Of course, the evening wouldn't have been complete without an impromptu jam session with Slater. The eight-time world champ parked it on stage between Vedder and Harper for the evening's final song, Pearl Jam's "Indifference," to a standing ovation.

"Let's all paddle out for a midnight surf!" belted Vedder after his last jam. While no one was exactly scrambling to put on a wetsuit in the cold night air, Vedder's message that night along with his session the next day spoke volumes towards his personal fight to save our waves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments